# 71
01-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
I can aleviate this one for ya.

Every single shot we've been shown?
Same exact planetary system.
OK, thanks Dave.

Looking the asteroid image more closely I've noticed some green things on top of the Sabre primary hull.
maybe they are the same green things the Centaur-class ship has in the drydock screeshot?
Lt. Commander
# 72
01-09-2009, 01:04 AM
the quality looks nice
Lt. Commander
# 73
01-09-2009, 02:01 AM
While the first one was ok, the second one must be I hope a joke the base on the asteroid obviously required little thought in it's construction, texturing and worse looks 'plugged in'. The starship itself would have been, or might have been the saving grace except for the 'blocky' look of it. startrek ship designs always looked better designed than this with starfleet hulls sporting rounded or ovaled hulls and streamlined. But this???

C'mon cryptic shame on you for releaseing that second pick and worse shame on the people here for swallowing anything that cryptic is putting out as cool, if you guys really want a good game here you need to be a little more critical sometimes, otherwise you will only get what you all seem to be settleing for......
Lt. Commander
# 74
01-09-2009, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfire2 View Post
While the first one was ok, the second one must be I hope a joke the base on the asteroid obviously required little thought in it's construction, texturing and worse looks 'plugged in'. The starship itself would have been, or might have been the saving grace except for the 'blocky' look of it. startrek ship designs always looked better designed than this with starfleet hulls sporting rounded or ovaled hulls and streamlined. But this???

C'mon cryptic shame on you for releaseing that second pick and worse shame on the people here for swallowing anything that cryptic is putting out as cool, if you guys really want a good game here you need to be a little more critical sometimes, otherwise you will only get what you all seem to be settleing for......
The Saber-class has always looked blocky though: First Contact ships

Also maybe people genuinely like what they are seeing, had that thought occurred to you?
Lt. Commander
# 75
01-09-2009, 02:43 AM
I'm no game developer. I'm not much of an artist. I don't know much about space. Hell, I don't even know much about Star Trek. What bothers me most about this picture of the asteroid station is that it seems to follow itself despite the contours of the rock.

If current social trends are any indication of the future, people will be extremely lazy in the future. This leads me to believe that we'd build a space station in the most convenient method possible, not the most symetrical method which requires cutting and/or building directly into hard rock. If there is no gravity on this asteroid (save for what artificial gravity is produced by the station), then why would you have the buildings follow each other in such a way? Work smarter, not harder.
Lt. Commander
# 76
01-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfire2 View Post

I like it because:

1. Its not suppose to look like a Starship. If it would every building would look like something familiar like the Enterprise-D. And that would get boring fast. I like variety in a galaxy.
2. It could be alien judging by the caption and who knows how old it is. It could be the ruins of an ancient culture or it could be their first state-of-the-art asteroid station. There would be times in the series where structures looked like 20th century cities or looked completely alien and organic. In Trek anything goes. Maybe there's something mind blowing inside. Best not to judge a book by its cover.
3. They could've played it easy and not put any structures on space objects at all. You might not agree with the look of it, but you can't deny the feel of a mysterious asteroid base is classic Sci-Fi.
Lt. Commander
# 77 hi there
01-09-2009, 09:12 PM
hello all, i have been a registered member of this site since it open, but never really have done any posts, so im kinda new at this so please forgive me if this is not the poper place to say this, i just wanted to say thank you to cryptic for bring this game to life for all of us, i for one cannot wait until get to play and be part of star trek online, and i value everyone opinions on here that i have read, and i would like to say hello to everyone as i will be on here more, i would like to get to know some of or all of the players i will be playing with or agaisnt, so hello everyone !!! nice to meet you all, and also i am looking for a fleet to join, so when the game launches i have a fleet to be with, so anyone that is looking for new members please contact me via this site, as i said before im just learning this site, so please forgive me if this is a impoper post thank you, hope to get to know all of ya guys and gals soon thank you
Lt. Commander
# 78
01-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Love the Sabre . Like a few other people, love to see some klingon ships.
Lt. Commander
# 79
01-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STO View Post
I finally figured out what bothers me so much about the asteroid image. It is not the fact that there are clipping issues and a poor job at modeling the building and asteroid to look well together. It is the scale. Something like the following would have been much better:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...eroid_base.jpg
Both STO and scmanion have a point: the buildings of the asteriod base not only look like they were plopped onto the rock (look at the lower left corner by the Star Trek Online symbol, there are like two places where the clipping is especially obvious), but the entire design is all wrong.

Like STO has shown, if you are going to put a structure on an asteroid you want it to be compact and self-enclosed. The buildings there look like they were ripped out of Starfleet Command SanFran. The entire asteroid is moving at hundreds of thousands of miles an hour around its "mother" planet, and there exists the risk that it will collide with other space debris or asteroids.

Basically:
  1. You don't want windows. They'll get shattered by impacts.
  2. No spires or tall structures protruding from the ground. They'll get ripped off by the momentum of movement in orbit.
  3. Docking ports! Some ships don't have transporters but do have airlocks for moving goods/people.
  4. Aerodynamic, round structures. Corners and sharp lines work on a planet, not so well on a space rock.

The interior shot looks good, although it's like someone set a floating Tribble on fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awen
To get too happy Haha. That was me on another computer. I forgot to log him out. However... he is watching *queue suspenseful music*
Eek a Changeling game producer :p

Welcome to CrimsonComet and nice to meet Awen too!
Lt. Commander
# 80
01-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the new screenshots, Cryptic. Though the inside screenshots remind me of the Jedi Knight games than Star Trek. :p

I like the Saber / Mining Outpost, it has a bit of a 60's feel to its design and color schemes. Though the Sabre itself looks off. Why are there engines at the end of the Engineering hull? And what's with the lights on top?