Lt. Commander
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100226...sspacenasamars

Take a look at that. The description for how this thing works is almost identical to the description for the impulse drive. Awesome no? Granted in ST its powered by fusion but, baby steps. Still with that kind of speed (198,000kph) think of what this will do for space exploration if its used. And to top it all off it may generate a magnetic field to protect the ship from radiation!

All i can say is bout time!

also Can we has warp drive now plkthnx?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwarmOfKlingons
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100226...sspacenasamars

Take a look at that. The description for how this thing works is almost identical to the description for the impulse drive. Awesome no? Granted in ST its powered by fusion but, baby steps. Still with that kind of speed (198,000kph) think of what this will do for space exploration if its used. And to top it all off it may generate a magnetic field to protect the ship from radiation!

All i can say is bout time!

also Can we has warp drive now plkthnx?
Thats pretty darn cool. I failed physics so its over my head...but I did try to compare to this wkipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_drive:
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-01-2010, 11:04 PM
All we need now is to figure out how to warp space around the vessel.

Methinks we need The Spice.

Sweet article too, btw.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-01-2010, 11:04 PM
I have the old Star Trek Encyclopedia, The only real differece in the description of the two is that ST impulse uses a fusion reaction to generate helium plasma that is expelled to propel the ship. And it can go way faster (Ive heard 1/2 lightspeed and 1/4 lightspeed before). But that may be a bit unrealistic

Still this is pretty sweet. if it can really reach the estimated speed (55kps) it will be a major advancement in our ability to explore the solar system. To make a comparison Voyager one, currently the farthest and I believe fastes man made object in space is going 17.097 kps. At 55 kps u could get to the moon in a matter of hours! Supposedly the plan is to test a prototype in orbit in the next year or so. I cant wait.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwl1919 View Post
Methinks we need The Spice
lol. Control the spice, control the universe.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-01-2010, 11:45 PM
What I wanna know is how they'll contain the heat within the engine. 11 MILLION degrees C? That's hotter than the surface of the sun, isn't it? Not even the Enterprise-D could withstand that temperature longer than a few minutes.

But, yeah. It's about damn time. If private R&D keeps up I can see us reaching another solar system by 2050 at least, even if we don't use warp drives.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radkip View Post
What I wanna know is how they'll contain the heat within the engine. 11 MILLION degrees C? That's hotter than the surface of the sun, isn't it? Not even the Enterprise-D could withstand that temperature longer than a few minutes.

But, yeah. It's about damn time. If private R&D keeps up I can see us reaching another solar system by 2050 at least, even if we don't use warp drives.
Interesting. A very sound point. I might still be ALIVE in 2050...

p.s. You need to go to the signature rating thread very soon.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Quote:
I think thats where the part with the magnetic fields come into it to contain the flow of the gas. I was wondering the same thing though that would be my best guess going on the article.

It is an epic achievment though. First impulse, next step fighting the klinkies :p:p
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-02-2010, 01:56 AM
Yes that is some very cool technology.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../88/Vasimr.png

When reading the description, if you didn't know it was real you'd think it was Treknobabble:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variabl...oplasma_Rocket

http://www.adastrarocket.com/SciAm2000.pdf
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-02-2010, 03:20 AM
Quote:

Not likely, assuming a ship that could travel .99c (99% of the speed of light and just shy of 300,000 kps) it would take an observed 4.5 or so years to reach the alpha centuari system but the trip would be nearly instantaneous for anyone on board such a craft due to time dialation from travelling at close to the speed of light. A vasmir plasma impulse engine does about 55kps or about 1/60,000th the speed of light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive this would be probably the only way we will leave our solar system if we can figure out how to make it work, if it looks familiar it should this is how a star trek warp drive works. Simply throwing energy at this drive wont work as it would require more energy than is contained in the universe, however if you could manuipulate dark energy (assuming from current particle physics hypothosis that it does in fact exist) it would require a much more manageable amount of energy (an energy level that could theoretically be produced from advanced fusion reactors that have a high probability of being operational by 2050 or earlier)

an interesting side effect of the Alcubierre drive if it actually works is the bubble the ship travels in would protect it from both the time dialation effects of travelling at close to the speed of light and inertia, the ship in the bubble is essentially in microgravity while travelling FTL. So there you go, inertial dampers too

One of the major experiments going on at the LHC is an attempt to detect traces of dark matter and dark energy, learning more about these will help provide a working quantum model for gravity (which would be a requirement for actually knowing how to generate a large gravitational field that would be necessary for FTL travel).

Assuming the LHC doesn't just get us all sucked into an artifical black hole like a lot of ignorant sheeple seem to think