Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
03-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Equinox
This is great news, but I really hope they dont turn the moon into a mess when they start mining it.

I would hate my kids to look into the sky one day and a horrible shell of what the moon once was.

I've seen that episode of "The Outer Limits" and I think they did something like that in the last "Time Traveler" movie, except they ended up blowing up the Moon into really big and bad pieces. Oops!
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruug View Post
This is all well and good except the current resident in the White House has cancelled the return to the Moon project and thus also killed the Mars program. It seems that the only thing they are interested in is for NASA to concentrate on Global Warming and nothing else. This is too bad and shows a tremendous amount of short sightness and too much political influence on what should be a purely scientific endeavour.
Funny. History has proven through out that the initial expansion and exploration was always due to monetary gain (or in some cases fleeing religious persecution).

It wasn't until the "space race" of the 60's did it become a governmentally controlled subject.

Nixon scrapped the Apollo 18, 19 and 20 missions - even though the rocket was already built for the first.

Carter scrapped plans for the Skylab 2 in lieu to provide funds for the shuttle fleet.

Even the #2 astronaut on the moon, Buzz Aldrin, thought NASA's current plan was flawed and needed to be scrapped.

What will happen - as some have predicted here - is guys like Branson and Bezeos will see this tech as the answer to further their visions and bottom lines - not a government endeavour. Just like the riches of the "New World" brought settlers to other lands and expand westward - privatization of space exploration will do the same
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bheduwa
Although this new tech is nice, I cannot get too excited about it... because they wont ask me to pilot them to Mars.. or the moon.. or anywhere for that matter. So.. phooey on them.
I'm working on an application to the Naval Academy. Perhaps after a long, distinguished career in the U.S. Navy, I'll be selected by NASA for one of these programs. There have been quite a few Annapolis graduates who later became astronauts, you know.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
I'm working on an application to the Naval Academy. Perhaps after a long, distinguished career in the U.S. Navy, I'll be selected by NASA for one of these programs. There have been quite a few Annapolis graduates who later became astronauts, you know.
Think of it like this: being on a modern submarine is a lot like being on a deep space spaceship.

In both cases, the vessel has to navigate by special instruments. You don't go outside without special gear because of the environment out there is hostile to human life. It is a crapped existence inside of a technological marvel. I would guess that being on a submarine is about the closest we can presently get to being on a deep space vessel for the time being.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Even more awesome - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Its not possible to create the 'bubble', at this point, but at least we pretty much know how to do it.

Edit - I'd like to add, since the topic kinda drifted in this direction... I support the fact that the US Gov wants space travel to be comercially viable going forward, but I don't agree that we just stop dead here until it does. The shuttle program is dead in 2010 after the last ISS mission. Then the US has nothing of its own for manned spaceflight, we'll have to buy space from Russia.

At least finish the stage of Contstellation that is now nearly finished and has had a huge amount of money and time put into it, then incorporate it in with the proposed DIRECT program until the private sector can provide something.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swag-nyc View Post
sadly Obama is NASA's Atari

your scheduled return to the moon and voyage to mars will no longer be supported by NASA due to budget cuts.

Obama is for the US Aerospace industry really a catastrophe. He castrate the NASA and two times Lockheed Martin (they were bulding the Orion Space Ship for the retun to the Moon and was the developer of the military F-22 - that Obama also cancelled).

I am European but it makes me sick when a incapably politician destroy the dreams and the hopes of million of space freaks.

In the next decade China, India and maybe Brazil will make the first steps on the moon.

India plans manned space mission in 2016 - CNN

Moon Base Alpha: If Not U.S., Then Who? - Foxnews
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Quote:
And good luck to you! Capulet's thoughts on the subject have merit.

I reckon I'll have to wait till we have our own personal space vehicles.. glad Im not holding my breath for it tho.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
Think of it like this: being on a modern submarine is a lot like being on a deep space spaceship.

In both cases, the vessel has to navigate by special instruments. You don't go outside without special gear because of the environment out there is hostile to human life. It is a crapped existence inside of a technological marvel. I would guess that being on a submarine is about the closest we can presently get to being on a deep space vessel for the time being.
I've thought about that exact thing a lot. On one hand, a posting on an aircraft carrier would be the best case scenario, but failing that, a sub would be nice. I'm very interested in the Navy's nuclear program, so it's likely to be one of the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bheduwa
And good luck to you! Capulet's thoughts on the subject have merit.

I reckon I'll have to wait till we have our own personal space vehicles.. glad Im not holding my breath for it tho.
Thank you.

And unfortunately, it'll not likely be in our lifetime (personal space vehicles, that is), but we can hope!
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-02-2010, 01:44 PM
I would rather trust the british crazy guy brandson then the goofballs that run this government
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Quote:
I've thought about that exact thing a lot. On one hand, a posting on an aircraft carrier would be the best case scenario, but failing that, a sub would be nice. I'm very interested in the Navy's nuclear program, so it's likely to be one of the two.

Thank you.

And unfortunately, it'll not likely be in our lifetime (personal space vehicles, that is), but we can hope!
Coming from a stint in the US Navy...being stationed on the the USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) who is now decommissioned.....

Surface Navy > Subsurface

Unless you really like not showering for months, and hot-racking (jumping into a rack that someone just got out of) and not seeing sky for months at a time....

I spent 2 years 9 months on the Hawk....Was fun. If you want to go Nuke...Fine....But it's not as glamorous as you might think. heheh

Generally a nuke trained sailor is nothing more then a glorified gauge monkey...You stare at a gauge all day long....but more then likely you will push a mop...

I was a Gunner's Mate on a carrier. I worked in the Ship's Armory. I was trained in small arms maintenance. But more often then not...I held a mop.....Only pulled out the guns to clean them, or check them out to the Master at Arms...

I had a blast...but it's not as glamorous as the recruiter makes it out to be.