Lt. Commander
# 1 Dual Monitor Gameplay
03-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Hey all...

I dont know if anyone has throught of this or if there are already other games out there, MMO or otherwise, that support dual monitors.

Yesterday i was playing the game and was toggling between my map and my ship and my missions and thought it would be helpful if i could have all this on my other monitor...
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-02-2010, 09:44 AM
works just fine, I use the other monitor for Vent, maps/info, watching episodes of Star Trek, or to buy shuttle codes on Ebay. (don't look at me like that, they are not available in the C-store.)
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Questions:
1-Will fullscreen span the width of both monitors, or are you running windowed across both monitors or just one monitor?

2-Can in-game dialogs/windows (like map window, objective window, ect) move out of the STO client window (that is on the main monitor) onto the second monitor? (I have dual monitors at work, but not at home, and would considering getting a second for home)
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-02-2010, 10:03 AM
I think he means splitting in game data onto two monitors.

You need to triple head to make it effective since your ship is centered. With dual heading your ship would be right in the split between the monitors making it look stupid. Unless of course dual heading is natively supported in the game, which it isn't (all that would be required would be to be able to offset your ship's location on screen). Your video card(s) would probably need to support a merged native resolution instead of just extending your desktop too. e.g. 3200x1050 for 2 or 4800x1050 for 3 monitors. Though there might be a hack in a .ini file to get the game using something other than your native resolution to span a windowed version across multiple screens. <shrug> never tried it personally because I only run 2 screens.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Supreme Commander has that functionnality. You can actually have two zone in focus (one on each screen) and give orders to any unit on both screens. You can also make one screen completely zoomed out to get an overview of how things are going. Its a cool feature, very demanding on your video card though.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-02-2010, 10:08 AM
That's exactly why I asked my questions.
Epically note the second question. This would be exactly what I would want, but I find it extremely unlikely the client would allow any window out of the border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legatus
I think he means splitting in game data onto two monitors.

You need to triple head to make it effective since your ship is centered. With dual heading your ship would be right in the split between the monitors making it look stupid. Unless of course dual heading is natively supported in the game, which it isn't (all that would be required would be to be able to offset your ship's location on screen). Your video card(s) would probably need to support a merged native resolution instead of just extending your desktop too. e.g. 3200x1050 for 2 or 4800x1050 for 3 monitors. Though there might be a hack in a .ini file to get the game using something other than your native resolution to span a windowed version across multiple screens. <shrug> never tried it personally because I only run 2 screens.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-02-2010, 10:11 AM
FYI: did a bit of searching and based on the fact that STO is built on the CO engine.. It "should" work just fine. Here's a "how to" for CO:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com...ampions+online

(largest ran: 5040x1050)
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai9100 View Post
Questions:
1-Will fullscreen span the width of both monitors, or are you running windowed across both monitors or just one monitor?

2-Can in-game dialogs/windows (like map window, objective window, ect) move out of the STO client window (that is on the main monitor) onto the second monitor? (I have dual monitors at work, but not at home, and would considering getting a second for home)

To clarify...

I am playing the game in "Full window mode".. which means its in a window that spans over my whole monitor, on my other monitor i usualy have a tv show playing or the STO wiki page. (which iis also extremely helpfull).

what i was hoping, was to have the game in either window mode or fullscreen mode that spans over 2 monitors where i can play my charicter and fly my ship on one and then have a map and charicter sheet and inventory ect on the other.

i find it helpfuil to have a map up during missions to see where i need to go.. to coordinate attacks with my team ect,

hope this clears things up
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Every MMO I've played has always had sub-windows that I have always wanted to display outside of the game on a separate monitor. So far none of them have offered this kind of functionality.