Lt. Commander
# 1 What Klingons truly need
03-02-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm going to start this message off by saying that I truly enjoy PvP in this game, win or lose. I have pvp'd with folks in other mmo's who claim the same, but however I have thought long and hard about the lack of Klingons fighting with me in T5 pvp and I have narrowed the problem down to one simple thing.

There is no way to improve your character after a couple days of playing BG Lvl 5. You cannot increase in rank. You cannot gain more skill points. You cannot acquire better gear. There is absolutely no way to improve your character's power whatsoever. (Daily quest aside) Increasing your amount of energy credits, honor points, and bridge officer points does not increase your character's abilities.

Personally, I have no problem with this. I enjoy fighting in pvp and win or lose, I absolutely love the adrenaline rush. I have 4500 mark of excellence or whatever the pvp medals are called with nothing to spend them on, but it doesn't bother me. I don't need the carrot. Unfortunately, the folks who claim to "Pvp for the fun of it" actually do not, and these people require the carrot.

Put in rewards that can be bought for insane amounts of pvp medals. Sure, people who have been BG5 for months are going to steamroll fresh rew RA's, but it is a necessary evil. The new RA's will know "someday I can be that tough", so its a carrot that works both ways. When people reach the "maximum carrot", new carrots will need to be developed. This is the fuel that drives many mmos to success. Personally, I love it being a fairly even playing field equipment/rank/skill point wise, however I realize it is not good for the overall health of the game when so many are driven by "how can I make my character stronger". I want more allies to play with.

*Salute* to the many skilled Fed teams I have fought in space combat. I hope to see more Klingon warriors at my side in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-02-2010, 02:37 PM
New content is already on the way in the first STO update, please read up on it(ie use search)
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-02-2010, 02:47 PM
You can better your gear by doing the daily for 11 days to get the shields or engines. less days for the weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-02-2010, 03:48 PM
well to be honest I still pvp even though i am at the cap. I would pvp more if the daily's would work for me.. but they dont. So over time if they dont fix my bugged character I will be gimped if everyone else is in purple gear and I am not. It took me a week of support tickets to just convince a gm to look into it. Now they finaly filed a bug report with the dev deparment but wont turn on the daily's for me . I do still pvp but I have a fed character I am working on who has not maxed so I tend to pvp on him since he has somewhere to go.

In the end though I pvp for a couple hours in the evening on my klingon usualy trying to perfect my performance in a carrier (hard ship to master so its a challenge) and I am working on crafting on my fed guy using the memory alpha stuff.

Oh and I breed those tribbles that give the extra buffs for fun that is my daily STO life right now. ^^
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellahane View Post
New content is already on the way in the first STO update, please read up on it(ie use search)
That is common knowledge. New content does not necessarily mean character advancement. One of the following has to happen=

Level Cap Lifted
Skill Cap Lifted
More Powerful items introduced to the game(then the purple items available from dailies)

Now, if they introduce these more powerful items ( the most likely thing to happen) they need to make it so that it takes TIME to acquire all the items one could want. Being able to acquire them all in a couple days won't work.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Explain to me why we need more powerful items?

Both sides have access to similar gear. The Feds actually have access to better pve end game and better non end game stuff from all the pve content.

I sincerely hope that STO does not become Raid driven like WOW for uber gear. How about we keep skill in the game instead of overpowered gear.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Honestly,

While I am not at T5 yet, one of my goals is to PvP and what not once there, and get mk X gear for all my ships including the Miranda, fully equip them all. I can switch to Klingon and get a Character in that side to T5 as well. then once that is done i would run in to part of the problem you are mentioning here...provided that by that time there is no additional content and expansion to the game.

But I am sure that it will take me about 6 months worth of play to reach these goals so, I figure that by then something new will come. Maybe with a territorial conquest system and areas for some real war, that outta give people more goal to reach for and activities to partake in.

That being said, i do not think that gear should be the only incentive here, I do not think this game should become the same gear farming fest that "other" game is.

Maybe a system of Renown could be an answer here that opens up some possibilities skill wise, bonuses etc.

But even if there is no more I personally do not mind, I played UO for 5 years my character's skills were Grand-mastered in the first 3 months and the next 4 years and 9 months contained no character progression as you perceive it whatsoever, it was fun to the last day for me.

So really it depends largely on whether the game can provide the tools and means to the players to establish their own abstract and social goals more so than some system of numerical progression.

At this moment, we can't even pull a chair in the K-7 clubs sit down around a table and have some Drinks while sharing and exchanging our adventures out there in the vastness of space.

Making it possible to use our surroundings being able to sit in a chair and not on the floor like in kindergarten would be a start towards that, being able to do so in our bridge or Captain's ready room, decorate it maybe with various items from our Missions and Aliens we meet etc...there is so many possibilities here that do not involve grinding for more skill points I am dumbfounded that no one ever considers implementing in to their games anymore.

People loved SWG (pre-NGE) to a large extent because it offered those same possibilities as UO did. We do not need housing per se, we have that our ship is or house we only need it to be more accessible, and then have some real Social hubs where the chairs tables and closets are not just for show.

Make the ground fertile for people to use their own imagination by making use of tangible elements in many different and various ways that incorporate in the vision of the game, and voila, you have long term interest and involvement.

If on the other hand you make a game that sounds smells and plays like a solo game then do not be surprised if people quit it once they go through its content a couple of times like they shelf their solo games after they finish them and move to the next.

There is much potential here already the core of the game is really fun, they just have to build on it towards the proper long terms path.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike111
Explain to me why we need more powerful items?

Both sides have access to similar gear. The Feds actually have access to better pve end game and better non end game stuff from all the pve content.

I sincerely hope that STO does not become Raid driven like WOW for uber gear. How about we keep skill in the game instead of overpowered gear.
Well, I would like my pvp wins or losses to have some meaning to me. I have, until now, always played MMOs where the pvp impacted the game world in some fashion. Marking down wins and losses and a same old, same old set of experiences isn't my idea of fun. I realise that this means this isn't the game for me, despite my liking the twitch shooter style of combat.

On the other hand my attempts to choose different load outs was limited by the fact that some of the load outs I use preform significantly under their possible maximum due to the insane power progression that Cryptic put in (+52% from some skills, give me a break, +25% should have been the max) and going into battle with one hand tied behind your back not knowing what level of opposition you are going to face (I am currently not part of a premade, probably never will be again, sorry) isn't all that enticing. The skill system was designed differently to how it is being used and that is quite a problem in my eyes.

This game needs several things that are on their way. Respecs are one, content is another. My problem is that I am cynical enough to only believe that it will be delivered on time once the live server has been patched and is up and running. I find the 45 days to be too perfectly suited to try to get another month of subscription out of me. There are many things that could be implemented quicker and faster, like the respecs, which would at least give the appearance that there is progress and allow people to try something new on an old character. Deeds please, not words.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-02-2010, 08:38 PM
The skill system has been designed with unlimited skill points in mind, of course it is not working as intended now that they put in limited skill points there have been many threads about this.

And the devs have said that they are making changes soon to come.

Patience.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-02-2010, 09:20 PM
I do not believe that the devs intended for all end game captains will be able to skill out each and every tree.

I am not for uber grind gear. I am all about different types of gear to allow for many different build outs. I don't want to see cookie cutter BOP's , Carriers etc. Good groups should have weapon and skill diversity.

In other games if you do not have the uber raid gear you have little to no chance. I don't see this model working in this genre.

I could envision spending time/points/medals etc on certain parts of your ship, outfittings etc. that would allow a more personalized ship. None of these changes would be earth shattering but would help.