Lt. Commander
# 11
03-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike111
I do not believe that the devs intended for all end game captains will be able to skill out each and every tree.
Actually not being able to skill out each and every tree changed the last days of Open beta, till then youy could Skill out each and every tree.

here is a quote by the Devs on a Progression Q&A:

Quote:
Mach789: By the time I reach Admiral, will my skills be locked or will I be able to max out every skill eventually?

You can max out every skill eventually. We plan to keep adding skills to keep ahead of people, and by the time you’ve progressed through the endgame content, you’ll only have about half of the total skills you can acquire anyway.

We do need to clarify one thing, which is in regard to this question and the previous one: The profession you choose – say, Engineer – will limit the ground skills available to you, but not the space skills. So as an Engineer, you can still buy Photon skills (Tactical) or Sensor skills (Science) in space, but on the ground you only get access to Engineering skills. The ground game is more traditionally class-based, whereas in space you’re more limited by the type of ship you fly. We want you to be able to go into different ships and mix up your skills as much as possible.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=26677

This was in September

So the game has been designed with unlimited skill points in mind, the decision to limit the points has affected the gameplay in several ways.

According to the latest State of the Game Address, there are currently changes being made to "address" the issues that were created by that change and have the complete system be more in line with a limited Skill progression.

We will probably get to test some of these changes in the Test Servers.
Lt. Commander
# 12 pvp
07-12-2010, 02:23 AM
I Have to admit being a not very good pvp player, thankfully i have been teamed with people who do know what they are doing and now i have joined a fleet and made BG1, i hope to get better. That said i do enjoy pvp and i look forward to teaming up with other Klingons and hopefully winning, but it is working with a team i like, my fed is Ra5 but i have not played him for a month due to the fact noone wants to do stfs in my timezone (England). the klingons do and are always up for a fight so thats where i have been for a while now, now i need to get some purples and respec my Raptor so i hope to see you in pvp whatever your view.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-12-2010, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymzat
That is common knowledge. New content does not necessarily mean character advancement. One of the following has to happen=

Level Cap Lifted
Skill Cap Lifted
More Powerful items introduced to the game(then the purple items available from dailies)

Now, if they introduce these more powerful items ( the most likely thing to happen) they need to make it so that it takes TIME to acquire all the items one could want. Being able to acquire them all in a couple days won't work.
Level cap... I am agnostic on that one.

Skill cap... the skill cap is A Very Good Thing as it makes people decide how they want to play and spec accordingly. Having everyone perfectly skilled in everything is a terrible idea. Skill cap should raise only in proportion with any increase in the level cap.

More powerful items... one of the best things about STO is that it is not massively gear-centric: a good player with all white gear will usually beat a meh player with all purple gear. Gear inflation and making the game more gear-centric would not be good... that said, I have nothing against interesting gear or even better gear, just as long as it does not come to dominate the game.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-12-2010, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post

So the game has been designed with unlimited skill points in mind, the decision to limit the points has affected the gameplay in several ways.
Yes it forces people to make decisions. I think the skill cap is a very good thing indeed.

Quote:
We will probably get to test some of these changes in the Test Servers.
Hopefully the skill cap will only ever increase in proportion with any slow increase in the level cap so that every end game player does not have exactly the same skills.

Frankly if they ever remove the skill cap, they might as well just remove the skills system altogether.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-12-2010, 06:14 AM
Unfetter us from the handicap imposed on our hulls and shields?
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-12-2010, 08:05 AM
To the original poster.

I will guarantee, and will prove anytime, that I have more medals, badges, marks, credits, honor, or whatever than you or any Klingon you know in game, and I assure you that on my list of 'needs' the necessity to spend rewards for something useful doesn't make the list.

Klingons have real "needs" - like a ground tri-corder that works, or an area where PvP competition has a tangible reward for victory (like property). In real life, and in virtual worlds, more 'items' doesn't qualify as a 'need.'
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Reason is because Cryptic is intentionally trying to kill the klingon empire...
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Klingons need more blood wine...not BLOODY WHINE ! There is no honour in QQ