Lt. Commander
# 11
03-03-2010, 11:49 PM
So happy to see no complaints about expose/exploit so far.

Three relatively easy huge fixes would be
  1. Removing you from all other queues when you join a match. This way another match doesn't start because you're queued for it but aren't going to join cause you're in a match already. This is one of the main reasons for the imbalanced teams at start.
  2. Removing the hold on expose. It's fine if a hold ability exposes you and holds you for a couple seconds before giving you a chance to find cover, but when any (hold or not) expose attacks hold you for the whole expose duration it's just silly. Give us a chance to seek cover.
  3. How about taking that minute that we're stuck disabled at the end of a PVP match and put it at the beginning instead where it'd be useful? What's the point of trapping us in a completed PVP match so we can't get back in queue faster?

Possibly more difficult, but if they could lower the target priority on pets or raise the priority on players so that tab targets players first and then cycles through the pets, it'd be a huge improvement. There's obviously some mechanic there since it's currently doing the opposite of what it should be doing. Hopefully it's not a flaw of the engine, because the same problem exists in Champions. It's so bad that it's almost faster and definitely easier to destroy the pets than it is to try to target the player standing in the middle of them.

I've seen hold resistances on myself, but it seems like they're all under different classifications, so they don't help that much against a team using different types of holds. I was held for around 10 seconds while a whole team of feds slowly killed me because they didn't get an expose. I had 3-5 different hold resistances showing but was still unable to do anything.

Agree that it'd be cool to get credit for exposes. Sided chat would be great too.

I wonder why they didn't do the PVP maps like Champions where you spawn in a closed room the enemy doesn't have access to. I guess it wouldn't be immersive, but it's not like the PVP maps are make much RP sense. At least in Champions, your team all spawns in the same place and there's a minute or two before the match starts for everyone to join and team up.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Well to be honest, I wish there was no Expose / Exploit kills. Vaporization isn't exactly child friendly, which STO was supposed to be a family game.

If they decide to keep it in, I would like it if they make it even more rare for them to occur. It's too frequent, especially with Science Abilities.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Well to be honest, I wish there was no Expose / Exploit kills. Vaporization isn't exactly child friendly, which STO was supposed to be a family game.

If they decide to keep it in, I would like it if they make it even more rare for them to occur. It's too frequent, especially with Science Abilities.
I think that expose/exploit is a great way to play. It encourages smart thinking and strategy. In fact, ground PvP over all rewards planning, equipping properly, teamwork, and strategy. I will agree that sometimes the exposes are a bit prolific. But, if people weren't held so much during them, they would have a chance to remove exposes with powers like, for example, Equipment Diagnostic.

As for the child friendliness, several people got vaporized in every Star Trek series. I watched TNG as a child, and I remember Geordi shooting a shape shifter*, and talking about it getting "phasered." So far I think I'm ok.

*I know, it was a "coalescent organism," but shape shifter is much easier for everyone.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-04-2010, 08:39 AM
I've done a lot of ground PVP and I've been on both sides of expose/exploit lots of times. I like it. Thus far, it's given me a chance at winning when starting maps outnumbered 5 to 1, and yes, I have maintained a lead in such cases until more players joined. I've been playing as tactical which isn't really expose heavy.

I think the only real problem with it currently is being held for the duration of the expose. Even as it currently exists, I've saved exposed teammates before by knockback, holds, or just killing the enemy before they could be vaporized. If players work as teams and stick together, being exposed isn't as terrible, but it's a generally a death sentence for the Rambos that like the charge off on their own. Either way, if you weren't held for the full duration of the expose, there'd be more chance to react and less time spent being disabled.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indolo
I think the only real problem with it currently is being held for the duration of the expose. Even as it currently exists, I've saved exposed teammates before by knockback, holds, or just killing the enemy before they could be vaporized. If players work as teams and stick together, being exposed isn't as terrible, but it's a generally a death sentence for the Rambos that like the charge off on their own. Either way, if you weren't held for the full duration of the expose, there'd be more chance to react and less time spent being disabled.
You hit the nail on the head, in my opinion. Exposes give a chance to defeat heal-heavy opponents and uneven odds. Though they can be frustrating when you're on the receiving end, they are glorious when you're the one dealing them. I think the "stun" from an expose needs to reduced to a MAXIMUM of 1-2 seconds (I'm not even sure a short-term hold would be necessary, but I think that in general teams still need a second to react). Leave the longer holds to player abilities. I'm also 100% on board with hold immunity for several seconds after a hold expires, regardless of whether or not other holds are still active (so that if you were held by 2 holds, once ONE expired, you'd be released -- note that secondary effects from the skills that applied the hold should remain intact even if the hold portion is released).
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Dear God, ground combat(pvp or not) SUCKS now.

"Players can no longer swap weapons from their inventory into their weapons slots during combat. Weapon switching (between inactive and active weapon) works the same as it did before."

NO! BAD CRYPTIC!

Also, they need to make a small reduction in Ice Mining Fed spawn times. As it is now, unless you have a fairly large group(about 6-8 people), you will have an IMMENSE amount of difficultly getting to the terminals you need to shut down before a fresh group spawns, sometimes right on top of you.

The minimaps almost completely worthless now, with this being maximum zoom. Its almost as bad with the big map(M key), being unable to zoom in that little bit more. so you can easily see where people are.

I was able to at least put forth a small bit of effort into pvp matches before, but now, I dont bother at all. Ill just run around shoot someone(if I dont get held first), then, when I get held, Ill jut wait till respawn message appears.

Cryptics messed up ground combat badly.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propama View Post
Dear God, ground combat(pvp or not) SUCKS now.

"Players can no longer swap weapons from their inventory into their weapons slots during combat. Weapon switching (between inactive and active weapon) works the same as it did before."
How is this bad? They fixed a bug.

Quote:
The minimaps almost completely worthless now, with this being maximum zoom. Its almost as bad with the big map(M key), being unable to zoom in that little bit more. so you can easily see where people are.
I'm sure this was unintentional. My guess is they'll patch back the way it was next update.

Quote:
I was able to at least put forth a small bit of effort into pvp matches before, but now, I dont bother at all. Ill just run around shoot someone(if I dont get held first), then, when I get held, Ill jut wait till respawn message appears.
I don't see how those two changes made this happen any less than it would have happened before. What's the connection?
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIgmo
How is this bad? They fixed a bug.

I'm sure this was unintentional. My guess is they'll patch back the way it was next update.

I don't see how those two changes made this happen any less than it would have happened before. What's the connection?
A bug? Is that the usual explanation for "fixing" something that isnt broken? I mean, if thats the way they wanted it(and Id consider that a fairly important thing), theyve had since headstart to "fix" it. Im thinking it wasnt a bug, its just a change they wanted to make.

Id hope so! Its more difficult to find specific people in QoNos and Spacedock now also.

Sorry, its that if Id found a weapon to be somewhat ineffectual, Id have to rely solely on my other weapon(I usually use a stun pistol for the awesome standar shot damage[/sarcasm]) for damage/effects/ect, and its not always a good one for that, meaning Id have to wait till I got out of "combat mode", which rarely occurs in pvp, meaning Id have to wait till respawn(hoping noones camping spot), before I can switch. If weapon switching was a problem, I need an explanation as to why, because I cant see it.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Well to be honest, I wish there was no Expose / Exploit kills.
Expose/exploits help to keep the game fast paced and provides a means to kill those pesky types who seem to be able to heal through almost anything you do to them.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-04-2010, 12:45 PM
I generally get out of combat if I want to (usually to tribble heal). I may not be able to do it exactly when I want to, but usually within a minute or two I can pull it off. If you really need to switch weapons/shields, it should still be possible.

As to ineffectual weapons, that's partly planning too. Learning what weapons and resistances the enemy is generally bringing to a tier is something you do when you start into that tier. Then you bring the tools most likely to be effective so you're less likely to need to swap.

I'm not sure I have an opinion on the in combat weapon switching from before. I didn't do it because I felt no need, but I could see it being problematic if someone can keep using the power attacks with half or less cooldowns (time spent swapping). Then again, it seems it'd be clumsy to swap which can balance. I'm fine with the change because it doesn't affect me, and I've been very successful without having to swap weapons in combat.