Lt. Commander
# 21
03-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propama View Post
Sorry, its that if Id found a weapon to be somewhat ineffectual, Id have to rely solely on my other weapon(I usually use a stun pistol for the awesome standar shot damage[/sarcasm]) for damage/effects/ect, and its not always a good one for that, meaning Id have to wait till I got out of "combat mode", which rarely occurs in pvp, meaning Id have to wait till respawn(hoping noones camping spot), before I can switch. If weapon switching was a problem, I need an explanation as to why, because I cant see it.
Ok, I think I understand what you're getting at: you're not saying that you're upset that you can't just keep swapping out weapons to use a bunch of secondaries -- you're saying that if you're using a weapon, and it flat out isn't working you have to find a way out of combat to swap out. Yeah, I noticed this too -- last night I equipped the gimmicky overcharged plasma sniper rifle, just to fool around with it, and forgot about it until I got into PvP today. When I realized I still had it equipped, I had to wait until all the enemies were dead before I could swap back in the right weapon. Yes, that was frustrating, but I'll take that over people swapping between a handful of expose weapons until they get an expose that works, and then equipping and firing an exploit. This forces people to think more carefully about the equipment load-out before going into combat.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-04-2010, 01:59 PM
The first thing I'd do for ground combat is to fix the queues. Players should be removed from all other queues once they enter a combat. Also, combat should not start unless there are the same number of players on both sides, and don't check it after the combat starts (IE if a player drops out of a game in progress, he handicaps his team).

The next thing I'd do is work on more maps with different objectives. Do we really even need 3 different maps when the game play and strategy is identical on each map? Given a few hours of perusing the internet and looking through old games, I'm sure you could create dozens of new and exciting maps. You could do things like take and hold, capture the flag, save the hostage, etc. FPS games have been doing these type of scenarios for years. Why can't STO?

For the long term future of pvp, I'd create larger, more long-term play areas involving much more than 5-10 players... Something like the original AV in WoW, using a large map with several mini objectives.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-04-2010, 03:48 PM
I havent "had to", but its nice to be able to if you find that what you thought would work ok, doesnt.

They do need to look at the ability to pretty much perma hold someone though. Only thing to hope for is a teamate with a remover, or them to create a distraction.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Just thought of something else due to the match I'm currently in. It's not specific to ground PVP, but there should be a timer on matches so that if you have an incomplete match and no opponents for X minutes (all have quit the match) you get the victory instead of just wasting your time. If people quit, at least you can still get your rewards or partial rewards.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indolo
Just thought of something else due to the match I'm currently in. It's not specific to ground PVP, but there should be a timer on matches so that if you have an incomplete match and no opponents for X minutes (all have quit the match) you get the victory instead of just wasting your time. If people quit, at least you can still get your rewards or partial rewards.
This is a great idea. At the very least, an automatic voting option. After X minutes with no enemies, a vote goes to everyone there: 'would you like to quit the match, for reduced rewards?' The rewards could be determined by what % of the total kills you've reached.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-04-2010, 10:01 PM
I just want a reason to move about the map, like, say spawning control crates your team must rush to try and open.

As it is, its just mobile ganking, there needs to be things appearing on the map that make the two teams compete to be in certain areas.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idryll_Alira View Post
I just want a reason to move about the map, like, say spawning control crates your team must rush to try and open.

As it is, its just mobile ganking, there needs to be things appearing on the map that make the two teams compete to be in certain areas.
That would certainly be nice, as would capture the flag type maps. They could add all that in time and make ground PVP incredibly fun, BUT FIRST they need to fix the spawning and less than 5 on 5 being in the game ...issues . Why does everyone need to queue into all three ground maps anyhow? If thats the problem then stop treating the players like spoiled babies and make us Queue into ONE map only. It's kinda like ..what ...biting off your nose to spite your face...'Oh lemme queue into all three maps so i can get in the first available!' If there isn't a ton of players waiting...all three maps then get screwed . If that is the issue with unbalanced team numbers ....one queue is the simplest of ...mature..solutions.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Auto teaming is a must! Perhaps ppl would actually work together and it also streamlines the teaming process. Particularly when u are a late add on to the match.

I also agree that matches starting 5v1 is absurd.

My biggest beef right now with ground combat is the hold system. It really is just stupid. Much of the combat devolves into a mass of held players hoping they will be the first to break free and maybge kill an opponent before being held again.

Of particular interest to me as a player with a melee focused character, is Rifle Butting. That molve is completely broken. While it is possible to melee (and I actually find the melee system quite fun) for the most part it is simply too difficult to do. Most players in close combat spam rifle butt until one or the other is held/exposed. And if u are spamming it its almost guarenteed to hold/expose your opponent.

Then a simple sniper shot is all it takes to kill someone instatntly. The thing I find rediculous is that a guy wielding a rifle as a makeshift club is more effective in melee than a batleth master. >,>

The simplest solution to this is to remove the expose. The knockback and hold is fine. It allows it to function as it should, but the expose is insane. Many players actually rely on this to kill. Charging at you and spamming, then sniper shot and you are dead. Most of the time u cant kill them before they get you.

Holds need to be tuned down A LOT, either in frequency or length, and rifle butt needs the expose removed, or at the very least a several second long cool-down.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwarmOfKlingons
My biggest beef right now with ground combat is the hold system. It really is just stupid. Much of the combat devolves into a mass of held players hoping they will be the first to break free and maybge kill an opponent before being held again.

The hold system gets tough when there is no ' Line' being held. When the fighting gets chaotic and in the open , the melee holds get a bit much, i agree, but I believe if they fixed the whole spawning issue and thus made it more of a TEAM game the whole tactic involving the use of cover and intermittently being in the open to fire or such will come into play much more, and the issue of having constant holds from the ' 3 key' would be far less of an issue. It's when people get vaporized ( which i am a fan of the whole expose-exploit system) , or killed , the respawn and the then mass of seperated players are alone in the ' jungle' , so to speak , and then it's just one big mess of 2 and 3 on ones. TO really fix that ...there HAS to be one of two things :
1 : Just killed players may be teleported by teammates to the battle- give them 5 seconds after death to act on that type of ability. Make the ability have an action duration of so much time, so players that are TP'ing thier previously killed mates ..need to find at least some cover.
2: No one respawns until your team all goes down . Which then they all respawn together , AWAY from the enemy ( Would be fun just watching from the eyes of an alive teammate while they try and turn the tide , minus the dead- COurse that would require some new ..programming, but certainly would be interesting !). The team that had survived then also respawns and another mini-round starts. This could change the whole point system to ' team wins' , instead of total kills. First team with 6 or 7 wins , wins the match. That would be equal to 30-35 kills , which is plenty.

------------- Any other way to develop the 'teaming aspect' of ground pvp just may not be possible-------
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-05-2010, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwarmOfKlingons
The simplest solution to this is to remove the expose. The knockback and hold is fine. It allows it to function as it should, but the expose is insane. Many players actually rely on this to kill. Charging at you and spamming, then sniper shot and you are dead. Most of the time u cant kill them before they get you.
Very much agree with this. Either the expose needs to be removed, or a healthy cooldown needs to be placed on the #3 attack so it can't be spammed.