Lt. Commander
I was (at the time) Lt.C 9 and went exploring in the Delta Volanis Cluster.

Now before everyone hates for me being in a beginers zone - My 10 year old Nephew wanted to know what I was playing and wanted to join in. Well I was going to show him in a place where I was absolutly not going to get killed under his 1 min tutorial of captainancy.

I was wrong.

the Mobs seem to have leveled considerably since I was last there.
I was supprised. I was calmly giving him instructions but inside I was thinking 'Dear god, I'm going to blow up.' Listening to the computer yell out, Shields are failing, and Hull integrety below 50%.

What the heck.

NOW FOR THE REALLY COOL PART
The really smart people who made this game decided to level up the mobs with you. So all of you high level people, go ahead and explore the Cluster for those 1st order exploration badges, you might pick up (because I was a Lt.C at the time) Mk IV stuff, I know I did. I got a common console and an uncommon, both Mk IV and fished a fair price on the exchange.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Heh - at least you found this out in a better way then I did.

My RA friend was wanting to try some new ship setups using lower tier ships, and hopped along to help me out with a mission in the Afehirr Nebula. It turns out, mobs all scale to the level of the highest level person on the team, as well.

...+23 Klingons were an interesting surprise, to say the least.

But, yes. You can use any nebula you want for farming gear and the like, and I don't think the enemy types available change, either. Don't quote me there, though.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammadelta1 View Post
I was (at the time) Lt.C 9 and went exploring in the Delta Volanis Cluster.

Now before everyone hates for me being in a beginers zone - My 10 year old Nephew wanted to know what I was playing and wanted to join in. Well I was going to show him in a place where I was absolutly not going to get killed under his 1 min tutorial of captainancy.

I was wrong.

the Mobs seem to have leveled considerably since I was last there.
I was supprised. I was calmly giving him instructions but inside I was thinking 'Dear god, I'm going to blow up.' Listening to the computer yell out, Shields are failing, and Hull integrety below 50%.

What the heck.

NOW FOR THE REALLY COOL PART
The really smart people who made this game decided to level up the mobs with you. So all of you high level people, go ahead and explore the Cluster for those 1st order exploration badges, you might pick up (because I was a Lt.C at the time) Mk IV stuff, I know I did. I got a common console and an uncommon, both Mk IV and fished a fair price on the exchange.
About the only way I've found to get tetryon beams is fighting Hirogen in the Eridan Belt (think that's what it called). Problem is you don't get any worth while badges for doing so. Also, most challenging ground missions I've have were against level 45 Hirogen. Not sure if it's my setup or their in your face style scaled up, but its always fun when they're the enemies.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Oh, but you will find tons of people here that say the game is insanely easy. So you, like me, and every one I have seen playing must just be stupid.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-02-2010, 04:48 PM
I too noticed the npc's aggression and dps have increased in missions that Ive done before. I was caught off guard and died a few times. Now STO is starting to get more intresting.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
About the only way I've found to get tetryon beams is fighting Hirogen in the Eridan Belt (think that's what it called). Problem is you don't get any worth while badges for doing so. Also, most challenging ground missions I've have were against level 45 Hirogen. Not sure if it's my setup or their in your face style scaled up, but its always fun when they're the enemies.
I never had much issue with hirogen, their AI still prefers to keep them at range. They just tend to evade more and will actively LOS you to regen their shields. Romulans are still a complete joke, stand at range and let you shoot them till the cows come home. I suspect high level klingons would be the worst, they love to melee you and fishing for an expose on a swordmaster will likely get you killed. Gorn can be nasty too, they love melee as much as the klingons and a Ra'wiq can spam holds on you infinitely if he reaches melee
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
I suspect high level klingons would be the worst, they love to melee you and fishing for an expose on a swordmaster will likely get you killed.
This, definitely. Klingon swordmasters are the hardest foe I've fought. With everything else, my shield usually holds out, but a swordmaster at melee completely ignores the shields, and I'm constantly having to palm-strike, and I almost always have to use a hypo.

Also, I suspect anyone who claims that the game is insanely easy is either 1) lying through his teeth, or 2) a hardcore gamer with hundreds/thousands of hours of experience at this type of challenge. For most people, I think the game offers a reasonable challenge without being too difficult. On the harder missions, I usually just barely scrape by, often finishing with no shields and 19% hull.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-02-2010, 05:39 PM
For those having trouble with Romulans, etc., I recommend getting some melee weapons. They by pass shields so they can regen their shields all they want.

And remember to bash them a lot to interrupt them from healing, etc.

I also run 3 Eng and 1 Sci for my away teams with lots of mines and phasers and drones. Sci is pure healer. Even borgs are pretty straight forward with that make up.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-02-2010, 05:41 PM
yes, swordmasters seem to exponentially increase in difficulty the higher levels i play, i found the best way to win is by meleeing them back wtih a rilfe but, teh instant they're exposed, pull our your exploit weapon and fire, insta kill for a swordmaste, even at full health.

In regards to NPC level changes, if you want low level NPC ships in a battle (maybe because your team is trying to level a low-level character), the best approach is to let your low level guy into the mission first, have the mission start and then the higher levels join him afterwards, this will give you the npcs spawning at the level your weakest player can fight, and your stronger players can just one shot kill any NPC that comes along.