Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-07-2010, 05:36 PM
I've had this problem too. At first I thought it was the background as well but now I'm not sure. I tried turning down the settings to below recommended but that doesn't solve the problem despite the fact that the ships and background are "less complicated"
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlander View Post
Like the title says. It does not matter what is in the instance. Could be nothing could be full of stuff like asteroids. I can get into one with tons of asteroids, ships..... and it runs fine then get into one with nothing and it is choppy as all heck. It can work the other way around also. Makes no sense. I am way above what the game calls for as far as graphics, memory, internet and such.

Any ideas?
For me it only happens during combat sequences and seens to be more frequent today than it has been. Makes combat almost impossible.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-08-2010, 09:30 PM
I do remember having a similar problem with other games online, it could be a multitude of things like just the fact that the game servers cant upload fast enough or your modem/router cant download the information enough. I would like some sort of offical response from cryptic though. Anyone get one?
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-09-2010, 11:11 AM
My space instances are actually pretty smooth; the problems I have most with are ground missions -- the ground missions are terribly laggy and choppy, in some cases completely impossible to use. I've had to abandon ground missions because of the terrible lag. Even space station visits are pretty laggy for me.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranticSleeper View Post
My space instances are actually pretty smooth; the problems I have most with are ground missions -- the ground missions are terribly laggy and choppy, in some cases completely impossible to use. I've had to abandon ground missions because of the terrible lag. Even space station visits are pretty laggy for me.
Turn shadows off in the in-game video settings. If that helps start increasing shadows until it gets laggy again, then turn it back down to where it runs smooth again.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-10-2010, 09:45 PM
In the Travis System i have this really choppy problem, and its only Empok Nor in the system with a blue-green background with not much color. Why would it be choppy in an empty system with a few ships and one station? Other missions i have trouble on are in systems with clutter, while i do have almost an even number of smooth gameplay time in similarly cluttered systems.

Doesn't really matter anyway, i can hardly play because i get disconnected every other time i load a map.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-11-2010, 03:06 AM
Hmm I think I may have the reason for this.

In some instances Cryptic seem to have used the age-old art of texturing world geometry with a translucent unsolid texture to give the rays of light effect around light sources, unfortunatly this seems to cripple even the best of computers.

I first noticed this in Sol, after running through the stateroom, there are two lights above the doorway under the stairwell, I have run through here many times and never once seen these lighting effects, this time however they were there and boy did they cripple my computer. No graphics settings were changed, and logging off and back on removed these, since then I have noticed them in a few other places and they always really hurt system performance, sometimes these are hard to see especially in space, but logging off/restarting the client always seems to fix this.

I could find no option in the graphics settings to disable these, they seem to be forced "on" during loading of some instances, I assume it is a bug.

FYI Cryptic this effect is terrible, very few modern games use this kind of lazy level design, it went the way of... Sprites, Oh my god Cryptic the Sprites! :p
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-11-2010, 06:47 AM
Good catch!!!

Is there anything on the graphical options that would disable those from displaying in the first place?