Lt. Commander
# 1 Too Many Powers!
03-03-2010, 03:07 AM
This is about space.

I can't fit them all on my toolbar, and I'm only a captain so far.

Bridge Officer abilities: 4+2+2+2 = 10 (12 At admiral)
Captain abilities: 7 (8 at Admiral)
Then there's Transwarp to Earth, Redistribute Shields, Red Matter Generator and between one and three other devices: ~3-6.
and finally Weapons: 6-8 (mostly ignored, as you can just put them all on SPACEBAR!)

In total: 20-23 (23-26 at Admiral)

I could do the three-rows high version of the toolbar, but all becomes a big jitter of abilities and there's no way to get a overview of anything.. especially since you lose your weapons-readout and the list of BOs.

At the moment I have two toolbars. with the top one being F1-F8 and the lower one being 1-8.
I have also 'hidden' a few abilities in the third row that I can't see... < (key under A, next to Z) is brace for impact, for instance), as well as all the weapon-icons (if you don't hide them, they show up automagically sometimes when you warp).

Ways to alleviate this would be to let us move the two-three toolbars independantly. so I can have one toolbar with abilities I don't use too often (like transwarp, engineering/science team, devices and such)... without having them confuse the overview of the abilities you DO use all the time.

another, a little bit more involved way to do it... would be to change the skill-system so that there's a benefit to having your BO learn more than one rank of an ability. for instance, if you have Beam Overload I, II and III... you'd still only get one icon (rank III), but ranks I and II would augment the ability of rank III (a bit more damage, even lower cooldown, longer duration, whatever. the tweaking of the numbers would be up to Cryptic).

then you could cut down on the number of Bridge Officer abilities on your toolbar... and the added benefit that players could concentrate and specialize even further, by sacrificing versatility.

OR *dramatic pause* Passive bridge officer abilities. they give you a boost in a certain area, but you lose the versatility of having an activated power.. the passive power would only be 'active' if the officer is actually staying at a bridge station... alternatively they could be long-time buffs.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-03-2010, 04:02 AM
It would help if the powersbar would be wider. 1 to 0, not only 1 to 8.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-03-2010, 04:16 AM
I'll start by saying that it has been a long night and I am sorry if I misunderstood the original post. Having said that I don't really see the problem. Shield distribution, weapons, and bridge officer abilities all have their own spots on the ui seperate from the toolbar so you don't need another place to put them. Everything else should fit in the allotted spaces without a problem.

The only thing I can think of that may be the problem is that I use the mouse to activate my skills/abilities not the keyboard. I can't imagine trying to control everything with keyboard commands but that may just be my preference.

I will say that I do agree it would be nice to be able to put things like transwarp off to the side away from all of the combat skills. Overall the UI works pretty good for me. Hopefully you will be able to find a set up that works good for you.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-03-2010, 04:26 AM
To the OP, I agree and tried to point out this problem during beta. You can sort or jurry rig it if you work it just right.

Firstly, you do not need the Abandon ship ability, at all, so you can just drop it to free up some space.

Second, there are no activated captain abilities at the admiral rank. At 43, you get a passive ability that works in the back ground.

Lastly, your weapons do not actually need to be visible on your hotbar to use them. You can actually arrange all of your weapons across hotbar #1, and then flip the page off of it. For example, on my BG5, I have my hotbars set:

Hotbar v2.

The two hotbars are set to page 2 and page 3. Weapons are on the hidden page 1, and on the weapon display. Bridge officer abilities are on the bridge officer bar. My hotbar just contains captain abilities and devices. I have two spaces left, that the game keeps automatically filling with bridge officer powers.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-03-2010, 04:40 AM
Yes, there are areas for those on the UI, but if everyone used it, why give us the icons to place on the toolbar.

Honestly I think that the problem is that unless you expand up to setting 3 of the toolbar you only have 1-8, when most games have slots for all the numbers, and the - = buttons. Add that would give us 8 more slots when using toolbar setting 2.

Personally I use toolbar setting 2 since the buttons for my BO abilities are placed at the bottom, seperate from the toolbar, but that is not how everyone does it and adding these 4 slots per toolbar row would help out alot.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-03-2010, 04:44 AM
I'm having similar issues; just at Captain rank I've filled all but a slot or two on three hotbars, with a couple abilities yet to be added (go down fighting, another BO ability, another weapon slot), and that's without any batteries (not that I really use them).

I came here after playing a rogue in WoW for three years, and there mouseclicking simply wasn't viable. I'm used to managing two dozen abilities all by hotkey, that's not a problem for me; but that means I need to use a lot of hotbar space if I want to see all my abilities and my weapon cooldowns/firing pattern. Which I do.

The issue I have with hotbar v2 and individual BO panels is, though it does allow a couple extra slots, it spreads information all over the bottom of your screen and doesn't allow for much organization. It's not so much a problem for activating abilities - nothing stops me from giving them the same hotkeys - but it makes checking cooldowns a devil. I'm very happy flying hotbar v3 right now, but if I want to continue that into Admiral content I really am going to want either a fourth bar or bars that are a couple panels wider.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-03-2010, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Having said that I don't really see the problem. Shield distribution, weapons, and bridge officer abilities all have their own spots on the ui seperate from the toolbar so you don't need another place to put them. Everything else should fit in the allotted spaces without a problem.
Except you can't bind officer abilities to keys on your keyboard. you have to first move them to the toolbar, then bind that particular toolbar-slot to a key.
and yeah, shield-distribution (left, right, front, aft) and weapons don't really need to be put on the toolbar. but the 'redistributing shields'-ability that evens shields out, sort of does (the home-button is too far away from all the other buttons that you use that you have to take your eyes off the action to find and press it.

Quote:
The only thing I can think of that may be the problem is that I use the mouse to activate my skills/abilities not the keyboard. I can't imagine trying to control everything with keyboard commands but that may just be my preference.
yeah, I'm using mostly the keyboard for using abilities... and the mouse for looking around, targetting, and distributing shields... and that alone is enough for me to sometimes lose track of the mouse-cursor (blue ui, tiny blue cursor, bad combo).

Quote:
Second, there are no activated captain abilities at the admiral rank. At 43, you get a passive ability that works in the back ground.
I completely forgot about that. thanks for reminding me.

Quote:
Lastly, your weapons do not actually need to be visible on your hotbar to use them. You can actually arrange all of your weapons across hotbar #1, and then flip the page off of it. For example, on my BG5, I have my hotbars set:
yeah, I did mention that the weapons can be mostly ignored and I have also hidden them on another toolbar that can't be seen.

there are a few abilities that can be ignored fairly easily. Abandon Ship definitely applies, unless you're in Starfleet Dental, perhaps... ramming speed is another one, cause I've never been a fan of M.A.D. ... and for me, as an engineer, Nadion Inversion since I can generally shoot whatever is sucking me dry.

Another idea would be to allow us to give Bridge Officers passive abilities. abilities that doesn't *need* to be put on the toolbar to be useful. it too would cut down on the clutter.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleriel
Too Many Powers!
There is no such thing as Too Many Powers.

There is such a thing as not enough action bars.

Yes, there is a difference between the two.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-03-2010, 08:16 AM
At the very least they should put the ship batteries onto a dedicated minibar of their own... that would free up slots on the main taskbars, if nothing else. Either that or expand the existing taskbars, or add a fourth row. Something.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
I'm having similar issues; just at Captain rank I've filled all but a slot or two on three hotbars, with a couple abilities yet to be added (go down fighting, another BO ability, another weapon slot), and that's without any batteries (not that I really use them).

WT? I dont understand this. Im a Engineer Captain and have PLENTY of space on two bars for all my abilities (With 6 or so empty slots still). I run with two tool/ability bars in space and ground and of course my BO pictures with skills by them.

You dont need weapons and shield distro as a bar...use your mouse/spacebar for weaps and arrow keys for shields. All my BO abilites fit fine with thier pics at the bottom of the toolbars.

Hyperspace.... put that in a 3rd or 4th page and just scroll down with the arrows when you want to use it.