Lt. Commander
Hello all,

About that (title), I would like to bring in some nuance to that wish, to prevent a longer route to happiness for most (can never please everyone).

Non-combat missions get repetitive way faster then combat missions, since combat is combat and different every time anyways.
So if people ask for more non-combat they actually mean (imho) more intelligent, different kinds and longer or more interesting non-combat missions without much repetition. Scanning 5 anomalies for the fifth time is really not that fun, nor is 'discovering' the scientists's pheromone fate for the 4th time.

So maybe have way more text written for them, so that the story is compelling and stays compelling longer (although I foresee the same problem).
Or devise some talk-mission where the topics and questions are written so well that you can throw it in a random generator and it still makes sense in 100% of the possible outcomes.
Or just make exploration missions more focussed on combat despite what people say they wish, because at rear-admiral 5 doing the B'tran cluster every day and sometimes wishing to test out a new ground weapon you can get like 6 non-combat missions easily before finding a space battle one, where you would have liked ground combat.

The problem might also be solved by making another PvE mission with story, which still makes sense when you do it over and over again, and of course make that repeatable.

Repeatable storyline missions are great, but are unrealistic and you have to turn your RP off, since you in fact already freed planet X (if additional and different text were to be written for the repitiions this could be ameliorated. Something along the lines of: "Crap captain, the Borg returned!").

What are peoples thought on this?

Best regards,
Godwin
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Indeed, non combat must be replayable : if Cryptic just add a few more "miners on strike" mission, it won't work at all. Different systems were suggested on this forum to add non-combat to semi-randomly generated missions (i.e. Genesis content).

1) Science / puzzles

They can be simulated by minigames. They should be skippable because they could be boring to the most action driven players. Here is a thread with awesome examples of minigames especially designed for STO (with mock-ups) : http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=124944

2) Diplomacy

Diplomacy has been heavily discussed and several different systems were suggested :
  • Reputation system : your actions give you reputation points with the other factions, allowing you certain missions or actions (EvE Online)
  • Card game : this was succesfully used in a not so succesful MMO (Vanguard)
  • 2 skills (Diplomacy / Intimidation) allowing you to open a channel and try to negociate with your opponents or to scare them (Mass Effect)
  • Another system suggested by xMentalxLintx here : http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=93215
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Rofl, I actually feel that the combat is repetitive. I even have 3 different classes of officer so that I am forced to use at least half of the skills unique to that class and thus make combat different. But, to me, its all .. shoot this, shoot that .. rofl. Of course thats how all these games work so I live with it. I would just like more alternatives than the anomaly scan in space and on the planet and the computer tests in the base for when I want a break from killing everything in sight because I don't have a choice rofl.

1. I would like additional repeatable but random missions that are class specific. For one, this would give people a reason to use their class specific abilities instead of ignoring them to boost their space stats due to stat limitations.

2. Lets make the Patrols repeatable as has been mentioned in several threads including my own. I loved some of those missions and it seems such a waste of space to see all those systems and not be able to visit them again.

3. Why does every planet exploration that has the enemy beam down have to make them instantly kill you on sight. Why not have it so that they are other scientists wanting to study them too. Why not have it turn into a race to find them first or work together. Especially the latter if this was a neutral race that is not affiliated with Klingon space at all and thus could learn to become a member of the Federation at some point.
Perhaps if the diplomatic way it was dealt with opens up communication for further missions to help them in another part of space previously unknown.

This game has so much potential if only there were tools to help us help Cryptic make these ideas bear fruit.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Yeah missions need to be more trek oriented and less combat orientes. But those kind of mission will require more work more time. So i dont think we will see that lvl of sofistication in this game ... pew pew pew all the way unfortunatelly.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamisama
Yeah missions need to be more trek oriented and less combat orientes. But those kind of mission will require more work more time. So i dont think we will see that lvl of sofistication in this game ... pew pew pew all the way unfortunatelly.
Not really. It would depend on how their mission engine has been designed. If it is simply the case of adding a switch to the patrol missions to be repeatable then easy. With the exploration missions it may be simply the case of adding extra mission data to include in the random selection when you enter an unknown system.

I don't expect a change immediately due to said possible long term affects but it would be good to eventually get these added. Hence the feedback of suggestions for cryptic to use when they get the chance to start writing new missions for us.