Lt. Commander
# 1 Rolling Red for Ground PVP
03-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Can anyone give me an idea of a solid Officer Type/Race/Trait combo for Ground PVP on Klingon side? I intend to work with the team, but don't want to be a support character.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-03-2010, 10:16 AM
I am not sure what you are asking for.

All three classes can fire and use different skills. Engineer make turrets, sci can heal and debuff, tac has other abilities.

Unless you plan to only do ground combat I would pick a class that fits your space play style.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike111
I am not sure what you are asking for.

All three classes can fire and use different skills. Engineer make turrets, sci can heal and debuff, tac has other abilities.

Unless you plan to only do ground combat I would pick a class that fits your space play style.
Well for example, does a Klingon Officer bring better traits to the table for ground combat than an Orion Officer? What about an Alien Officer?

If I am working with a group to drop ground targets, do I go Tactical and go all out on damage or is it worthwhile to look at something like Engineer for easier exposes?

My understanding is that turrets are nearly worthless in ground PVP - is that true? If so how does that affect Engineer?
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Engineers can one shot people using exploit attack like any other Captain type and they're virtually unkillable 1v1 or in some cases with many more people hitting them.

Sci captains are the insta kill kings at the moment far better then Tactical Captains.

They can CC you and expose you a dozen times hoping for a one shot exploit before the CC wears off.

They also have kits that make them extremely survivable as well.

If you're set on a Tactical Captain for ground PvP then I would go with the Lethan or a Liberated Borg mainly because of their inherent CC ability you can use.

Telepathy is just awesome as well in spotting Stealth units and it increases Expose change + duration.

If you want to be a stealth master then go with the Nausicaan.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Precisely the kind of info I was looking for, thanks Ninjaboy!
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Actually, turrets can shoot some pretty hard shots if you train them up. I thought they were useless but apparently that's because 9 out of 10 Federation Engineers put no points into them, so that by Admiral rank their turrets are just pathetic.

Once in a while, though, I run into someone whose turrets actually hurt. Still, the turrets are immobile and the other deployables still seem pretty worthless so I'm sticking by my story that deployables are a poor choice for PvP.

Anyway, I think Min/Maxers create KDF "Aliens". The advantage of the Alien is you can pick all of your traits rather than getting stuck with a couple canned ones. Like the Gorn has a physical strength trait which is pretty powerful but kind of silly since melee PvP is not that good. So you're kind of throwing away traits by picking Gorn. Klingons get a couple decent traits but I'd probably pick others if I went with Alien as my race.

Some good ground traits off the top of my head:
Stubborn -- hold/placate resist
Sure Footed(?) -- whatever trait gives you 50% root resist. Roots suck.
Peak Health -- +10% health. It's not awesome but it has definitely saved me.

You could get a +stealth one but I'm standing by my argument that stealth isn't that great, especially in these 5v5 deathmatches. If we had some objective maps, maybe stealth would be more useful -- sneak in, steal the enemy intel and then run for it. Oh wait, that's Team Fortress 2, a game with far superior game modes compared to STO.

+Perception might be good. Again, stealthers aren't exactly a big problem but I hate letting them use it as an escape method. I want my kill point!

There's at least one ability (Luck?) that claims to increase your expose chance but it doesn't say by how much.

As for class, I think they're all good. I think if you want to be the most independent, you'd probably want to go with Science. Their wealth of holds and so forth will give you good odds of getting exposes, or escaping when you want to. Engineer probably a close second, since Weapons Malfunction is such a pain. I'm Tactical and enjoy it greatly and I'm always the top damage dealer (and I dare say, top killer) but I need a team with me to live up to my full potential.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, now I am anxiously waiting for 40 minutes until I can leave work and roll red!
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-03-2010, 01:05 PM
I am pretty certain the character traits such as "Stubborn" and "Sure Footed" aren't working yet or working correctly.

I did some test on my character with Stubborn and saw no improvement whatsoever on hold resistances.

A few other people commented on those traits as well.

I was tempted to submit a bug report but I wanted to get on my Klink and test it again at that first arena stage.