Lt. Commander
Hey guys just wanted to point this out before account security becomes an issue in game.
To successfully get in to someone’s game account you need 2 pieces of information
1.There "log in" username
2.There “password”

One of the things to me that is most over looked in this game is how easy it is to get someone’s log in user name because of the toon name@login name thing in chat and when recruiting for guild when sending mails and tells etcetc

This to me could turn in to a major issue
in other game I specifically keep my toon name different to my log in name to try and prevent people having 1/2 the work of taking an account done for them so why in this game is my login name blatantly given out every time I use the chat box

This to me is a massive over site in security measures on the design end of things and is something that needs to be addressed before account hacks become a major issue

One thing that could be put in let me choose the @name to make it different to my log in name if its a crit function with no way to work around using it

anyway this is just something ive noticed and am quiet shocked by as it could potentially mean 1/2 the work is done for a hacker

I have allot of ideas for increased security just another one off the top of my head
when logging in i believe the client should disable the keyboard and use its own "on screen" keyboard you hit with your mouse this would make keyloggers void

with an onscreen keyboard it should be randomised as to where it appears this would stop people login the x and y axes of the mouse to determine what you have clicked

there’s allot more but for now my biggest concern would be the displaying of the log-in name
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Welcome late the game. There have been several threads on this already. Baiscally when you created the account if you specified your log in credentails for the @ name its on you. The game allows you to put anyhting you want for the @ name.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moordrake View Post
Welcome late the game. There have been several threads on this already. Baiscally when you created the account if you specified your log in credentails for the @ name its on you. The game allows you to put anyhting you want for the @ name.
Ah right and where does it let you put something in i havent seen it as of yet?and sorry if theres other threads i forgot to use the search function :-x shoot me now lol i may have missed it in my excitment to create a toon lol
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-03-2010, 10:40 AM
It explicitly tells you to make your forum handle different from your login name.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefman123 View Post
Ah right and where does it let you put something in i havent seen it as of yet?and sorry if theres other threads i forgot to use the search function :-x shoot me now lol i may have missed it in my excitment to create a toon lol
*cocks gun*

You're the boss
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
It explicitly tells you to make your forum handle different from your login name.
Yeah, it does that NOW, didn't use to.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-03-2010, 10:44 AM
older accounts dont have that option

besides who would want to hack STO ? i can see somebody hacking it, then asking the origional owner to take it back hours later
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-03-2010, 10:45 AM
well mynes been hear since beta probs why i havent got that option just havent had chance to play allot up to now so didnt really reliase this issue
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankah View Post
older accounts dont have that option

besides who would want to hack STO ? i can see somebody hacking it, then asking the origional owner to take it back hours later
Hell, I can just see the suicide rate in China going up...
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moordrake View Post
I myself wasn't aware of this until after someone commented on it. I vaguely recall something saying, what do you want to be known as. So I entered Xrystal. Not realising that it must have triggered as both account and forum name at once. My forum/character names have alway been different from account log in with these type of games for this precise reason. Until now of course. And now of course the option isn't changeable. Hopefully Cryptic will allow this option at some point as it is clearly a problem for those of us that were not aware of this.

So, Cryptic, please give us an option to change our account name and known as names with more clear and precise instructions as it seems some of us may have misunderstood your intentions at the time.