Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
03-03-2010, 11:07 AM
My suggestion would be that you not give anyone your password.

And by not give anyone your password I also mean: and keep your virus scan and spy-ware scan software up to date. Don't want to lose that password to keyloggers either.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
03-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
I myself wasn't aware of this until after someone commented on it. I vaguely recall something saying, what do you want to be known as. So I entered Xrystal. Not realising that it must have triggered as both account and forum name at once. My forum/character names have alway been different from account log in with these type of games for this precise reason. Until now of course. And now of course the option isn't changeable. Hopefully Cryptic will allow this option at some point as it is clearly a problem for those of us that were not aware of this.

So, Cryptic, please give us an option to change our account name and known as names with more clear and precise instructions as it seems some of us may have misunderstood your intentions at the time.
For both you and the OP, you can contact Billing/Support (I believe - one of the support departments at Cryptic, anyway) and, by all accounts, they're helpful and quick about changing it for you.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
03-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
I myself wasn't aware of this until after someone commented on it. I vaguely recall something saying, what do you want to be known as. So I entered Xrystal. Not realising that it must have triggered as both account and forum name at once. My forum/character names have alway been different from account log in with these type of games for this precise reason. Until now of course. And now of course the option isn't changeable. Hopefully Cryptic will allow this option at some point as it is clearly a problem for those of us that were not aware of this.

So, Cryptic, please give us an option to change our account name and known as names with more clear and precise instructions as it seems some of us may have misunderstood your intentions at the time.
Yeah, some of us didn't even get THAT option. However, if you truly feel unsafe, just send them a mail asking for a handle change and give them three options. They'll get back to you eventually.

To be honest, I don't actually see a problem with this. You have my login? So what? Feel free to crack my 9-17 digit alphanumeric CaSe sensitive, p.un-ctu,a=tion filled password.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
03-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKindness View Post
For both you and the OP, you can contact Billing/Support (I believe - one of the support departments at Cryptic, anyway) and, by all accounts, they're helpful and quick about changing it for you.
This right here... Maybe not the quick part but they will change your forum/char handle for you have a valid reason for it.
And yes... Having identical log in and forum handle is a very much valid reason.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
03-03-2010, 11:32 AM
To quote the Billing & Account Support page...
Quote:
Question: How do I Change my Online Handle?
Answer: If your online Handle is the same as your Username we would be happy to change your display name! Please log in and send us a Billing Support ticket with the three names you would like, in order of preference, if your first choice is unavailable. Keep in mind that trademarked or copywritten names are not acceptable.
Please read the Billing and Account Support FAQ located here... http://www.startrekonline.com/support/billing
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
03-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erztez View Post
Yeah, it does that NOW, didn't use to.
It did when I created my account in January.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
03-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquatic
It did when I created my account in January.
It didn't when I created mine in September...your point?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
03-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKindness View Post
For both you and the OP, you can contact Billing/Support (I believe - one of the support departments at Cryptic, anyway) and, by all accounts, they're helpful and quick about changing it for you.
This. File a ticket with 'em and they'll get back to you. They took a couple weeks to answer mine, but they WILL change your forum / in-game name this way.

Can't change your account login name though.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
03-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Well it looks like the Engineering Report mentions work on allowing a change to the @ name. At least it goes some way into protecting yourself somewhat.

After all I like Xrystal as my forum name but I would like my @name in game to be something different so I can call my character in game Xrystal rofl.

After all name@Xrystal doesn't sound quite right. Whereas Xrystal@StarfleetMedicalCenter rofl would be so much better but unlikely to be possible if it is still your account name. And then I could go on with Chantelle@StarfleetEngineeringCore. And my little baby Adelle@StarfleetTacticalSquad. But I digress. Will be wonderful to see how that new change will work though.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
03-03-2010, 05:23 PM
thanks for the responsis guys sorry i took so long to reply im going to submit a ticket nowmy password is very long and i tend to use onscreen keyboard when entering passes as its harder to track mouse clicks than a keyboard so i should be safe i just guess im paranoid lol
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:10 PM.