Lt. Commander
# 1 Why is instanced zones bad?
03-03-2010, 11:20 AM
This is a serious question, I don't understand the angst over instancing.

For me, instancing zones means less lag....isn't that a good thing?

For me, instancing zones does not take away from the feeling that the world is large or i could asy, it does not make the world feel small. As long as the load times are not too cumbersome, I can generally ignore them.

The only issue I have with instancing (not zone instancing) is that the fleet battle instancing does not recognize teams when sorting out players looking to join in.

For those that say, "Zone instancing makes the world feel small", I say a bit of imagination goes a long way. It is pretty easy to ignore the slow load screens.

Even EVE Online, a game I played for years, and is presented as one of the largest (if not the largest) MMo world is instanced. What do you thing the jump gates are there for?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blodveard View Post

For me, instancing zones means less lag....isn't that a good thing?

For me, instancing zones does not take away from the feeling that the world is large or i could asy, it does not make the world feel small. As long as the load times are not too cumbersome, I can generally ignore them.

The only issue I have with instancing (not zone instancing) is that the fleet battle instancing does not recognize teams when sorting out players looking to join in.

For those that say, "Zone instancing makes the world feel small", I say a bit of imagination goes a long way. It is pretty easy to ignore the slow load screens.

Even EVE Online, a game I played for years, and is presented as one of the largest (if not the largest) MMo world is instanced. What do you thing the jump gates are there for?
A lot of people like the ability to force themselves onto others and a lot of people like the feeling of a true massive world. I honestly like instancing but would have rather seen the starbases and sector space be larger and house all players present in this locations.

∙ Instancing does not equal less server lag; it does reduce potential lag on our own systems since less needs to be rendered.

∙ Fleet actions honestly need to force people into "Fleet Action Teams" that are only there during said fleet action.

∙ Slow loading? Buy an SSD!

∙ Yep, many games have instancing... it is all about how much is it being used.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Until someone comes up with some other way to prevent spawn camping we are stuck with it. Time will tell.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Instanced zones are bad because this is called a MMO, thus it's stupid.

I mean, if you called this a multi-layer multi-player game then it would be okay.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-03-2010, 11:33 AM
it is because people don't remember when games weren't instanced, like EQ.
Where, a dragon would spanwn once a week at 3am and the people who tagged him first, won.
Or, getting into a dungeon and having every single spawn camped.

They think big wide open zones are better. Especially in space.
Because, if Cryptic did it that way, they would be saying "i thought space was suppose to be vast and not have 213123 poeple trying to kill the same person",
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Honestly, most of the time even in non-instanced games, you generally 'see' less than 50 people at a time anyhow.

All the zone chats are linked. So it's not as 'separating' of people than one might think.

-np
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-03-2010, 11:36 AM
I don't mind the instancing most of the time. For missions, episodes and things of that nature I think its great. It helps to cut down on lag and load times. Where I have an issue with it is on the more social maps like star bases or the visitable social planets like risa. Don't get me wrong I don't want so many people there that I can't move, but it seems like the amounts that are in there are insufficient. If they increased the amount of players per instance in these maps it wouldn't be so bad but not to the point it would cause excessive lag. When I played SWG I would go to particular places (such as Mos Eisley cantina, swg folks you know what i mean by this) and I would be lagging so bad I couldn't move. I don't want to see this here because most people woulod respond the way I did, avoid those areas at all costs. There has to be some balance to get that massive multiplayer feeling and mitigating the lag.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Instancing can be good... like when you've beamed down to a planet and the gameplay is enhanced by allowing you to have a private experience.

Instancing can be bad as well... like when you visit a central hub and should be able to see hundreds of others milling about, reminding you that you're part of a greater whole. In STO, I've rarely seen more than 10 other players in the same place at the same time. WOW, by comparison, is wonderful when you visit Ironforge or Orgrimmar and see hundreds of others chatting, dancing, dueling, and emoting. It feels 'alive'.

It's all about how much it's used, and currently STO uses it too often. I'd like to see central, social hub limits raised to 100 or 200 people before spawning another copy. Starbase 1 could benefit from being larger in general - maybe with living quarters, a weapons range, a better meeting hall, a museum to Starfleet, a garden area... the list goes on.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
Until someone comes up with some other way to prevent spawn camping we are stuck with it. Time will tell.
Probably the best "boiled-down" reason for instancing. Everyone hated waiting in line to get access to certain content.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blodveard View Post
About the only reason that makes sense seems to be that people tend to feel happier when they have something to complain about.