Lt. Commander
# 21
03-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluss View Post
I think the instancing would be ok if they raised the cap. What is the point of having a huge fleet if you cant even get a quarter of your members in the same instance. Also they should fix it that if you go somewhere and you are grouped up you should zone, with that group, into the same instance. Especially for things like fleet actions and such. It should be an easy fix. Just implement code that creates a fresh instance for your group or fleet.

Another thing I think would fix the boxy feel, which they probably will never do, is to get rid of sector space. Why can you not put those same system in the sector space and use regular space art. This would give a feel for flying through space and not some funky 3d map. I really do not see why that cant be done.
Yeah, Sector is one of my least fave parts.

It feels like I am trapped in some sort of different game, maybe Star Trek 3D chess or something. All those ribbons leading from system to system turn me off.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-03-2010, 11:54 AM
The biggest negative of instanced zones is lack of ability to have a persistent or open world experience and reduced ability for social interaction amongst players who want to gather in certain areas.

It breaks immersion if its worldwide. If its only certain areas its not as big a deal.

For example if you leave space dock and immediately come back you find a whole different set of people there. So if you wanted to meet your friends at spacedock to socialize it becomes a chore.

Nevermind you cant have any sort of player housing or that sort of thing.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-03-2010, 11:58 AM
People complain about instances because WoW was designed using substainly less amounts of them and expect every other game to be just like it. We call those people fanboi's.

Instances are not terrible, OVER instancing can be. There is a balance needed. In STO, I only wish that there were more consistent PvE areas. Once you are done with a mission, you never have to go back to that system again. Possible waste of area for a 20 minute mission.

It would be difficult to provide a full galaxy in one open instance area. If so, away mission planets would still need to be instanced.

Of the full game, Sector Space needs a MAJOR overhaul.

As with anything people complain just because they want to complain about something.
Lt. Commander
# 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaelus View Post
... they have a problem with the generally small zone size and instance population caps. If zones were, say... doubled in size and doubled in capacity, I suspect far fewer people will complain about instancing.
I'm one of the people that believe a zone that is used for travel (Sector Space) and zones used for Quest Aquisition, Exchanges, and Item Hubs (Space Stations) should have been larger and house more players in them at the same time.

Having a cap of 50 players per instance in these zones, and them being small zones, gives the game a small feeel.
Lt. Commander
# 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSWasabi
Probably the best "boiled-down" reason for instancing. Everyone hated waiting in line to get access to certain content.
So instance the mission zones but leave social zones and inter-zone space open areas. Problem solved.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohnoto
People complain about instances because WoW was designed using substainly less amounts of them and expect every other game to be just like it. We call those people fanboi's.

Instances are not terrible, OVER instancing can be. There is a balance needed. In STO, I only wish that there were more consistent PvE areas. Once you are done with a mission, you never have to go back to that system again. Possible waste of area for a 20 minute mission.

It would be difficult to provide a full galaxy in one open instance area. If so, away mission planets would still need to be instanced.

Of the full game, Sector Space needs a MAJOR overhaul.

As with anything people complain just because they want to complain about something.
There were games well before WoW that had no instances... just so you know.

WoW was not the first evah MMO.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohnoto

Instances were WoW's answer to the EQ spawn camping issue, and instancing had the benefit of simultaneously lowering lag. This is well-documented in pre-release PR. Some of the Blizzard people even specifically mentioned EQ when talking about the instances in the then upcoming game. So saying WoW was designed with less of them isn't very accurate. No offense intended. It may have less of them by modern standards, but it was Blizz who first really brought them to the mainstream.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
Instances were WoW's answer to the EQ spawn camping issue. This is well-documented in pre-release PR. Some of the Blizzard people even specifically mentioned EQ when talking about the instances in the then upcoming game. So saying WoW was designed with less of them isn't very accurate. No offense intended. It may have less of them by modern standards, but it was Blizz who first really brought them to the mainstream.
I believe EQ2 was before WoW but I could be mistaken. EQ 1 also had some instances in the lost legends of norrath pack... You point is still correct though.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluss View Post
I believe EQ2 was before WoW but I could be mistaken. EQ 1 also had some instances in the lost legends of norrath pack... You point is still correct though.
Yes, it was, I passed on that game though because I had already left EQ (one). Now that i think about it, I can't remember if the Blizz team was speaking about EQ or EQ2 when they were discussing the instancing issue.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
Yes, it was, I passed on that game though because I had already left EQ (one). Now that i think about it, I can't remember if the Blizz team was speaking about EQ or EQ2 when they were discussing the instancing issue.
Well the great thing about instances is that they can make some really good scripted content. Ive had some really awesome groups and raids in instances. They were fun because the devs put some pretty cool scripting in them that takes away from the plain tank and spank.