Lt. Commander
# 1 deep space encounters
03-03-2010, 10:03 PM
To start, I am generally in favor of death penalties in MMO's, and am for introducing one into STO.

That said, I do not think a DP is a good idea just yet. Biggest reason, is the deep space encounters. All too often one enters into one, only to find themselves blown to bits within 10 seconds by a massive spawn of enemy ships 'camping' the entry point.

Please fix that particular issue before introducing a death penalty. Often the only two options a player has upon entering a deep space encounter is to 1) exit asap, or 2) die. Compounding that with the abundance of "defend sector xxx" missions, a death penalty would be quite harsh, particularly on lower level players that have not developed their tactics, abilities, and ship gear to be able to survive the ambush that is often waiting for them.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiervalen View Post
To start, I am generally in favor of death penalties in MMO's, and am for introducing one into STO.

That said, I do not think a DP is a good idea just yet. Biggest reason, is the deep space encounters. All too often one enters into one, only to find themselves blown to bits within 10 seconds by a massive spawn of enemy ships 'camping' the entry point.

Please fix that particular issue before introducing a death penalty. Often the only two options a player has upon entering a deep space encounter is to 1) exit asap, or 2) die. Compounding that with the abundance of "defend sector xxx" missions, a death penalty would be quite harsh, particularly on lower level players that have not developed their tactics, abilities, and ship gear to be able to survive the ambush that is often waiting for them.
To be honest, I've only encountered this problem a few times - its not an epidemic of a problem, yet the player base's biggest argument against death penalty seems to be this "Warp in and Die" thesis on deep space battles...to be honest I've not seen this to be such a huge problem, and is more likely griefing players luring most the enemy ships to the areas where poeple warp in (perhaps) .

I am all for the DP, and all I can logically see Crpytic doing is just reducing crew amounts for a short period rather than any thing else (much like whats in place at the moment).

I think the community as a whole is over-reacting. big time.

you'll all feel very silly when Cryptic has a fair DP system thats released in the near future. now enough of this $%, it's like the 100,000 thread where an OP is saying DP would break the damn game. :p
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteh1985
To be honest, I've only encountered this problem a few times - its not an epidemic of a problem, yet the player base's biggest argument against death penalty seems to be this "Warp in and Die" thesis on deep space battles...to be honest I've not seen this to be such a huge problem, and is more likely griefing players luring most the enemy ships to the areas where poeple warp in (perhaps) .

I am all for the DP, and all I can logically see Crpytic doing is just reducing crew amounts for a short period rather than any thing else (much like whats in place at the moment).

I think the community as a whole is over-reacting. big time.

you'll all feel very silly when Cryptic has a fair DP system thats released in the near future. now enough of this $%, it's like the 100,000 thread where an OP is saying DP would break the damn game. :p
This issue happens to me a lot.

And I won't feel silly at all, if you check back to what I said, you'll find that I am FOR a death penalty. But I also think this issue is a pretty major one. I for one, would not take any defend missions until it gets fixed. Rather dumb to accept a mission, when there is a good possibility that it will only cost them.

Nor did I say it would break anything, only that it would be wise to fix this problem before implimentation.

Reading comprehension, is fundemental.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiervalen View Post
This issue happens to me a lot.

And I won't feel silly at all, if you check back to what I said, you'll find that I am FOR a death penalty. But I also think this issue is a pretty major one. I for one, would not take any defend missions until it gets fixed. Rather dumb to accept a mission, when there is a good possibility that it will only cost them.

Nor did I say it would break anything, only that it would be wise to fix this problem before implimentation.

Reading comprehension, is fundemental.
The only way for this to happen to you alot is:

1) Joining a Deep Space battle much higher than your rank.

2) Joining a Deep Space battle more than %50 of the time where Mobs gank you upon entering.

3) For no.2 to count, the mobs would have to be a much higher rank to actually gank your Starship when you warp in. - unless your really bad at the game, then just stop playing.

4) You have roughly 3-5 seconds to hit your Galaxy button and warp out - if this happens alot, it shouldent, becouse you should be prepared for it (if this happens to you alot) and the enemy vessells take time to lock on and shoot a new target that's warped in.

5) If your in a Deep Space battle that you don't like then hit your Map button and Change Instance - chances are many players don't realise that when your in a Deep Space encounter you can Change Instance within that encounter to move to another one.

No. 5 is also a way to grind levels quickly, due to the next instance might having of killed off 8/9 fleets, you get in...oh look at that mission 9/9 accomplished.

EDIT: Forgot...

6) Your ensign asks, upon warping in, if you'd like to return to normal space - in which case you'll Warp out regardless of any thing hitting you.

EDIT:

I just do not believe players can be dieing Port, Starboard, and Stern from joining in these battles straight away without getting out of it. The only time's I have been ganked this way is when the ships are at least +10 levels above me due to bugged instances - this is like %5 of the time that I've played any Deep Space Encounter.

Where the hell are you guys going to get your arse handed to you like this on a constant basis as a way to avoid a DP? (of course, not the OP who was said he'd like a DP - but I find a constistant "defence" across the community using the Deep Space encounter to avoid one, just an observation).
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-03-2010, 11:20 PM
I started this game with a very positive attitude but now after a month My positive attitude has gone down the toilet
specially after I got ripped of for a month of gameplay
They can kiss my a s s goodbye!
with thier tounges out!
B L E A H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! ! !
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysthis View Post
I started this game with a very positive attitude but now after a month My positive attitude has gone down the toilet
specially after I got ripped of for a month of gameplay
It's why you wait a month after a MMO is released fresh content for me is just around the corner as I only started last week.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteh1985
The only way for this to happen to you alot is:

1) Joining a Deep Space battle much higher than your rank.

2) Joining a Deep Space battle more than %50 of the time where Mobs gank you upon entering.

3) For no.2 to count, the mobs would have to be a much higher rank to actually gank your Starship when you warp in. - unless your really bad at the game, then just stop playing.

4) You have roughly 3-5 seconds to hit your Galaxy button and warp out - if this happens alot, it shouldent, becouse you should be prepared for it (if this happens to you alot) and the enemy vessells take time to lock on and shoot a new target that's warped in.

5) If your in a Deep Space battle that you don't like then hit your Map button and Change Instance - chances are many players don't realise that when your in a Deep Space encounter you can Change Instance within that encounter to move to another one.

No. 5 is also a way to grind levels quickly, due to the next instance might having of killed off 8/9 fleets, you get in...oh look at that mission 9/9 accomplished.
1) I only join deep space battles that I have a current mission for. I accept the defend mission for whatever sector block I am currently playing in, if it is offered. Occasionally this leads to doing the defend mission a couple times as I progress through the area. So, you're wrong here, since I am only angaging them at my level.

2) I wouldn't say that it happens 50%, I would put it a bit higher, around 60 maybe 70. Again, at my level. So again, you are wrong.

3) Lame e-peen insult, not worth a direct response. Although the comment does speak volumes about the poster.

4) On quite a few occasions my ship has been under fire....DURING the warp in animation. A couple times I have even hit the exit button, only to face a respawn at the sector level. So, again, you are wrong.

5) Ignorance of the game. You cannot change instances within encounters anymore. Really, if you are going to be rude and insulting the LEAST you could do, is know what you are talking about. I suggest actually playing the game, and reading the patch notes.

And for the #5 is easy way to gain levels? Exploiting. Which is why you cannot change instances within an encounter anymore. Another comment, that speaks volumes about the poster.

Now, run along, go play the game, read the patch notes. Then perhaps you will learn that it is better to speak from knowledge, rather than ignorance. Because it is quite obvious you do not know the game mechanics like you think you do.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-04-2010, 05:04 AM
I agree with the above poster.

I got my main to RA5 so between the daily missions I have been playing my Lt commander and the rapes are really bad right now. I have had multiple rapes where the contact shows -5 to 0 from my level and when I warp in there are RA5 level ships there and pop me like a zit in a heartbeat.

I would say my Lt dies at the least 40% of the time when warping into a spawn anymore. As for the comment by Matteh1985 about people pulling mobs in you must not do the encounters cause no one pulls them in they roam around the spawn 90% of the time when I enter one, then once the action begins they despawn. Usually it is a flagship and their lackeys sitting within 10k of the spawn point. Even my RA5 can get dinged up a little by this spawn -30 below me and I have over 10k shields, so a low level doesn't stand much of a chance getting hit by 20 ships at once. All you can do is hit warp out as quick as possible in this case, if you have time....