Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21 Star Trek Needs You
03-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Number one reason to play an MMO as opposed to a single player game is other players.

It may not always be to directly interact, some like to solo alot and craft or fight for loot and sell on the market etc and are happy and think that is enough of interaction. Others can sometimes simply log on and chat with friends and hardly do any real playing but to have fun with friends. Works fine in games with voice service so all can be wherever and do whatever and still chat. Fleet text works too but makes it harder for those that wants to play while chatting.

The best reason I can give You is find some nice friends to have fun with. Not necessarily to always play together but at least share jokes and conversations.

Maybe join a nice fleet of mature players that socialize rather than hard core try to beat the game.

MMO RPG's are not designed to be beat or win. They are neverending, evolving, developing. Kind of relationships irl. The things that really make them last is community and of course an interesting gameplay to top that off.

Also do not judge the ingame community by Forums. The are usually not similar. Those that play alot are rarely in forums. Plemnty of players never even know whats going on outside the game, in forums or on the official site even. All the read are log-in screen msg's.

So search what you are looking for in-game not in the Forums.

Hope You will stay. Star Trek Needs You. Cheeesy I know but I suddenly got a vision of that "The Army Needs You" Poster in my head.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-03-2010, 06:24 PM
in b4 lock? :p
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglis View Post
you are totally right but that doesnt mean that people shouldnt at least try. You never know there might just be that one person out there who just has the right thing to say that will get even you to change your opinion about cryptic/atari.

I have argeed with most of the post you have made on these forums. Yet this time your voice would be better left unheard, unless your just trying to keep others away. I am not asking for anyone to make me do anything. I am asking for some help in finding a reason not to leave. Since Cryptic/Atari cant seem to do it, I feel that if the community can then there is more than just a slight glimmer of hope for STO.
What you don't get is that what I am trying to say to you is what ever reason someone else gives you is going to be fleeing at best. Only you can really come up with a reason to stay. No matter what reason, I give you or someone else gives you, unless you really believe in it you aren't going to stay. At that point it is just delaying your departure.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-03-2010, 06:27 PM
The forums are fun and keep me endlessly entertained.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-03-2010, 06:31 PM
I think you have to consider the replies you are getting. The one from the guy who has an Atari logo burning for his avatar - he's not gonna give you any feedback you want to hear.

If I understand you correctly you are asking for points to logically consider to stay, given that the existing reasons you have don't quite seem to make enough heft to keep you here. Fair enough, I will endeavor to do so:

Opportunity Cost: Let's be blunt but fair here -- the game is not perfect or close to perfect, a lot of the content leaves something to be desired, and there are issues with [insert your pet peeve here] that won't get addressed immediately.

My counter to this is that , yes, you can leave and save your money for something else. If you're in a financially tight situation, perhaps you *should* even if the game WAS great. But if you aren't, what are you really saving and losing with leaving?

I left WoW about a month and a half after I started in pure, incandescent rage. I was so ****ed I took the game box to a local firing range and emptied two clips of .40 into it. I was ****ed enough to hire a lawyer and run out a serious email bombing. I wasn't being rational. Since then, appearanly, WoW has blossomed into something great, and yet , I can't bring myself to try again. I can't or won't bring myself to give it another chance because I've poisoned my memories of it.

STO can probably be that polarizing, if you are a huge fan of the Star Trek lore. If you quit, yes, you save your money. You can spend it on another MMO of equally dubious value or something else that pleases you. But you give up the opportunity to have a voice in shaping this one, in seeing what happens, in attempting to make this work regardless of the other issues.

Role Playing: Eloquently stated above my post already, but I'd like to expand on that and point out the use of Geekipedia and even fan fiction in expanding your experience.

[BIncremental Improvment over time]: [/b] There are a handful of really, REALLY well written missions, like the Section 31 mission or the Ghost Ship mission, that indicate the game CAN be used to create something truely great. I think most of Cryptic's initial efforts were (perforce) spent on just getting things running and dealing with the requirements of launch and that, as time goes on, the actual content quality will improve, and improve rapidly. Crafting whole new add ons to the game is expensive, but good writing is cheap, and good writing can make this a great experience -- and doesn't take a long time.

Community : This is a very diverse community and only a sample of the players online. I can list dozens of things you can do to interact, including training new people, acting as a guide, organizing in - game events, or even just meeting new and interesting people. I've lost track of how many utterly fascinating people from many different countries and cultures I've met online so far.

Reality: There has never been and never will be an MMO worth goat spit in the first two to three months of launch. Everyone, in their gut, knows this, and everytime an MMO comes out they want it to be different and every time it isn't and the MMO either makes it or dies. We aren't at the point yet where we can be sure what is going to happen - anyone who claims otherwise is a troll. I'd say that if the game gets good, it will have precursors in the next 90 to 120 days. Four months.

It's a cost of less than $100 to figure out if it's really going to be worth it. Only you can decide if you want to expend that kind of cash.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
The forums are fun and keep me endlessly entertained.
This, just gone through the Dev tracker and the amount of trolling that's gone on today is legendary xD think it was a bad idea to tell people not to make I Quit threads ::p or 'Please make me stay' threads for that matter, it's just variation on a theme. If you need us to persuade you to stay then obviously you don't really want to be here :p
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-03-2010, 06:32 PM
To OP

I weigh in here, you stay, because MMO games in generally need good and respectful people like yourself to be in their community and keep playing to offset the poor reputation we gamers had develop in general, and bridge the divide, that we are all gamers, and it does not matter whatever game styles you like, pvp, pve, rp, etc, we all want the same thing a good game and a community to support it.

We need people like you to stand up to game bullies, and encourage good behaviors and gameplay, where we finally stop the labeling and name calling like "carebear", griefer, etc" among us, and that we at the end of the day are a community.

we need people like you to stay and be Ambassador to help newcomers, ones who never even play a MMO to ensure they have a positive experience.

You should stay, because even though STO does not support a community interaction within their game, there are numerous other players, good and respectful players, "such as myself" who enjoy meeting and playing with other respectful players.

You should stay, because what is needed the most, are players who believe in community and are able to articulate concerns and issues in a positive constructive way to provide solid feedback on the direction of STO, and how to support the community more inside the world itself.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-03-2010, 06:37 PM
The problem I have with this whole scenario is that if you are depending on some one else to give you reasons to stay then you create a situation that when said person changes their opinion, it will no doubt have some influence on yours.

Also, if you were to choose the wrong reason that some one gave to you to stay, you end up not judging the game on it's own merits but on opinion of others alone.

For a game to be good enough to you as a person you must look at all the facts no others opinions. Otherwise we right the game being shallow for all players.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglis View Post
Well as the title state I am Dying for a reason to stay with STO. Since Cryptic/Atari have done nearly nothing to get me to want to keep giving them my money. I am going to see if the STO community can or will even try to help.
You want the community to convince you to stay? This is the same community that *****ed and moaned about the 90 days offered to new subcribers until Cryptic gave into their demands and took the offer away?

Make your own reasons to stay. Don't rely on this forum community for anything.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lichbane View Post
You want the community to convince you to stay? This is the same community that *****ed and moaned about the 90 days offered to new subcribers until Cryptic gave into their demands and took the offer away?

Make your own reasons to stay. Don't rely on this forum community for anything.
Well, that's not totally fair. We're pretty much your go-to guys if you ever need a company whined into submission.