Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy > Player Guides
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 51
01-28-2011, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDestra
Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to make a post that talks about some ways to keep your account safe.

Keep your username and password to yourself!

This includes anyone and everyone. We do not support the sharing of accounts. Regardless of how much you trust someone, you are putting everything on your account at risk whenever you give another person access.


Never visit websites that offer in-game currency for real money

The primary reason for this is that that it's against the rules. We track account activity and will completely remove game access from any accounts that are found purchasing energy credits for real life currency.

The secondary reason is that many of these sites are fraud operations. The websites use several techniques to bait users into sharing confidential information.

Examples:
  • The website requires your game username and password so they can log into your account to give you the resources. DON'T DO IT.
  • The website requires you to create an account with a password. They will then hope that you will create an account with the same username and password as your game account. DON'T MAKE AN ACCOUNT ON THEIR WEBSITE.
  • They will offer you the ability to purchase something with a credit card. They do this so that they can steal your credit card information. DON'T EVER ENTER YOUR CREDIT CARD OR PERSONAL INFORMATION ON ANY WEBSITES THAT CLAIM TO SELL STO CURRENCY OR ITEMS.
  • Their website may contain viruses or trojans that will eventually end up stealing your game account or credit card information for fraudulent use. A reason to completely avoid these sites altogether.
Maybe an Authenticator would be a good idea. Having just a username and password for logging in to the game seems a little worrying these days.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 52
01-28-2011, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOnasi
Also, keep your password in a file somewhere, and when you log in, just copy and paste the password instead of typing it in. This will help avoid a keylogger from getting your password (provided you don't have a keylogger when you type the password the first time), if you want to be ultra careful. Don't use the same user name and password you use for other games, either, and don't use the same name as any names you use on forums.
Oh, this isn't the Solution to trick actual Keyloggers.
Why?

1) If i where about to write a keylogger, i would implement an low yield thread scanning your harddisk for your cleartype password files. Solution: encrypt them.

2) Monitoring the clipboard for changes isn't a big deal. If you just copy and paste from the file to your password field the data are stored in the clipboard until replaced by anything other or a systemrestart.

The buildin windows onscreen keyboard eventually isn't a solution for the clipboard problem. Depends on how the keystroke delivery is implemented.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 53
03-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker9172 View Post
It's sad but they are out there. I've been playing since the first day and over the past 11 months since the game went live the amount of spam that is out there has decreased drastically. I used to see about 4 spam messages a minute - no exaggeration. Now, If I see one every 10 minutes, it's a lot. Cryptic has already started doing something about it, and so far I think they've done a great job. Now they've taken the time to just remind us of a few things. Now I've always known never to purchase something like that, but there are some people out there who always look for the fast way to level up, and they might fall for it. So I say thank you Cryptic for the reminder, and I hope that people will listen to it.
yup much better with the spam in ESD chat now.. if they only could get rid of the 24/7 anomaly farmers in kling exploration clusters now.
But noone seems to care about those ships scanning anomaly after anomaly with a running macro day after day for month....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 54
03-16-2011, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi
yup much better with the spam in ESD chat now.. if they only could get rid of the 24/7 anomaly farmers in kling exploration clusters now.
But noone seems to care about those ships scanning anomaly after anomaly with a running macro day after day for month....
who just happen to start scanning the anomaly before it even appears but if you /tell them they say 'not botting'.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 55
03-21-2011, 11:11 AM
I traced the IP's of the top ten google hit for these sites and they all went to China or domain anonomizer registrants. Nothing trustworthy there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 56 sto energy
03-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDestra
Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to make a post that talks about some ways to keep your account safe.

Keep your username and password to yourself!

This includes anyone and everyone. We do not support the sharing of accounts. Regardless of how much you trust someone, you are putting everything on your account at risk whenever you give another person access.


Never visit websites that offer in-game currency for real money

The primary reason for this is that that it's against the rules. We track account activity and will completely remove game access from any accounts that are found purchasing energy credits for real life currency.

The secondary reason is that many of these sites are fraud operations. The websites use several techniques to bait users into sharing confidential information.

Examples:
  • The website requires your game username and password so they can log into your account to give you the resources. DON'T DO IT.
  • The website requires you to create an account with a password. They will then hope that you will create an account with the same username and password as your game account. DON'T MAKE AN ACCOUNT ON THEIR WEBSITE.
  • They will offer you the ability to purchase something with a credit card. They do this so that they can steal your credit card information. DON'T EVER ENTER YOUR CREDIT CARD OR PERSONAL INFORMATION ON ANY WEBSITES THAT CLAIM TO SELL STO CURRENCY OR ITEMS.
  • Their website may contain viruses or trojans that will eventually end up stealing your game account or credit card information for fraudulent use. A reason to completely avoid these sites altogether.
SO....Why dont you sell energy creds yourself???????????? then we wont be tempted....afterall you sell everything else even an assimilated tribble...plz...you guys are doing great job but i am so tired of threats about buying ingame creds in every game...plz dont act like sony....food for thought ....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 57
03-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordboo View Post
SO....Why dont you sell energy creds yourself???????????? then we wont be tempted....afterall you sell everything else even an assimilated tribble...plz...you guys are doing great job but i am so tired of threats about buying ingame creds in every game...plz dont act like sony....food for thought ....
Trust me if everyone starts to buy EC, the marked will get destroyed.

I have been playing a game called Lineage 2 where NCSoft didn't do anything against the botters or the ones that sold/bought in game currency for 5 years. The result was that people started to sell items for as high as 20 billion credits (20.000.000.000). To get 20 billion you need to play legit for several years or hope to get a lucky drop and someone that buys it. The NPC's can drop upto 20.000-50.000 credits each if you are lucky, but to kill the NPC you would have spent 15.000-45.000 credits on consumables.

Anyways after 5 years they finally removed many of the farmers and now the items that you needed 20 billion to buy, now sells at a more "realistic" price of 800 million-2 billion...and then they ruined it again by un-banning the botters....NCSoft, they only care about the money they get in the pocket and not about their customers.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 58
05-19-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm sorry that happened to you
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 59
06-06-2011, 02:59 AM
Give Cryptic a break come on. The spam is not as bad as you guys are making out. On a daily basis there are players posting worse in zone chat than gold sellers spam.

People are asking for them to stop gold sellers buying another copy of the game. That is almost impossible. The effort it would require would cost a lot. Actually technically it is impossible if the gold sellers always use different IP address and can create as many PayPal accounts as they want. Which is easy.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 60
03-23-2012, 02:10 AM
I think there has to be a reason why no MMO so far introduced a user configurable client-side chat filter, based on pattern matching (keyword, glob, regex, configurable - to each according to his skill level)? As far as I've seen it would have taken JUST ONE entry in the filter list to block ALL the spam posts I've received so far, regardless how many accounts said spammer(s) would have created and dumped so far.

One could go even futher with publicly available filter lists. Why not? The concept of AdBlock Plus works surprisingly well with Firefox, it would be time for MMOs to translate that to ingame spam.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:05 AM.