Lt. Commander
# 1 My take on the atari deal
03-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Not that anyone gives a crap about my opinion, but here it is anyway.

what are we talking about really? Cryptic is doing everything they can to make sure this game stays around for us and for them. it is to both our benefits that a lot of people play. Us for the chance to play in an expanding Star Trek Universe, and theirs so they can afford to have employees.

So what does it really amount to? Well its 2 months (we get a free month as well), and a 10$ discount on the game. That's 25$. Are we really gonna lynch them for 25$? That's dinner at Applebee's for you and the kids. Was it the best thing for them to do? probably not, but I don't blame them for trying, and they are trying as hard as they can.

I can tell you that with assurance because I am an MMO developer (not for cryptic), currently working on my 4th title. I cant believe my eyes when I have seen what they have done in 18 months with their staff size. They must have been working 12-16 hour days for most of that time. I'm betting they are pulling those hours right now even as I type to get out content, bug fixes and public postings at the rate in which they seem to be producing.

Of course i'm sure that for some of you this wont matter at all, that 25$ is your soap box and from it you will condemn them for being awful developers, and me for being a fan boy. I hope however some of you consider this a little bit and give these guys a break, they are trying to provide us with a descent game experience, as well as keep food on the table.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Which MMO do you develop for? I don't ask for the interest of the topic I ask as I'm a 3d modeler and would be curious. PM me if you care to.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Yes I agree, I'm sure the people actually creating the game have been working very long hours. I think the frustration was misdirected by some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumonic81 View Post
So what does it really amount to? Well its 2 months (we get a free month as well), and a 10$ discount on the game. That's 25$. Are we really gonna lynch them for 25$? That's dinner at Applebee's for you and the kids. Was it the best thing for them to do? probably not, but I don't blame them for trying, and they are trying as hard as they can.
It was an extra 60 days on top of the 30 according to the marketing that was on the website. That would mean $30 for the subscription value and $10 off product purchase, coming out to $40 value not $25.

I pointed a few people to get in on this deal but they waited too long and missed out due to Atari pulling it before March 3.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-03-2010, 07:36 PM
I can't say this enough, so I'll say it again.

Most of the anger/complaints (at least the sensible ones) are directed at the “suits” specifically, Atari. Not many people are going after the creative crew directly, as the core issue is with the time, or lack of, that was spent on the game. A decision the guys at the top made, not a programmer or content designer.

Yeah, some will probably go straight after creative individuals but I think (at least hope) that the majority have their beef with the business side of the company, not the creative.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-03-2010, 07:37 PM
I approve of this OP.

Lt. Commander
# 6
03-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Firstly this thread is against the current rules and will be locked.

Please direct your conversation to the Atari Sale Sticky thread up top.

Secondly erm.........your maths are wrong on that......once again i refer you to the other thread and I think you will be surprised.

It is 60 EXTRA days on top of the 30 you get inside the game box.

60 more than what we all paid full price for.

But once again if you had read that thread and the one before it you would know that it's not about the money.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Well 40$ is a different story, you could go to Olive Garden with that kinda scratch

I might have missread the promotion, but i didn't bother with it when it came out anyway, I get what they are doing and don't personally disapprove. That's not to say I wasn't flustered with some things they have done, such as the yearly and lifetime plans. I struggled for a while over that one and cursed cryptic a few times myself for their cunning planning on that deal. I ended up with the annual in the end.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optiv
I can't say this enough, so I'll say it again.

Most of the anger/complaints (at least the sensible ones) are directed at the “suits” specifically, Atari. Not many people are going after the creative crew directly, as the core issue is with the time, or lack of, that was spent on the game. A decision the guys at the top made, not a programmer or content designer.

You might wanna tell that to the guy who was posting yesterday who said he hopes all the devs lose their jobs and die in a fire. As I'm sure most people can agree, asinine comments like that do nothing for either "side".
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-03-2010, 07:42 PM
There is more to this issue than just money

There is a thread for this already and they will lock threads who post outside of it.

Finally, this is almost a dead issue. The sale is gone, what's done is done, so we don't need to keep it going outside the other thread.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Is he still talking about last weekend? Let me guess...you're still obsessed about disco too?

Get with the times...that's over and done.