Lt. Commander
# 1 Spice up the Loot. Seriously.
03-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Here is a simple yet effective example of how loot can become ever so much more interesting than it is.
I blow up a Cube and loot and behold! A rare quantum torpedo!!
This is what i would see in Vanilla STO
Quantum Torpedo Launcher Mark X (CritH) (Acc)
Blah blah blah, these aren't that effective or even interesting.

And now for my STO suggestion
Quantum Torpedo Launcher Mark X (Over) (HY1) (SPR1) (PHSD)
OVER (Overload, this torpedo has been specially modified to do 10 - 20% more damage to shields (or just more dmg wtv.))
HY1 (This torpedo has a 2.5% chance of firing a high yield version of itself. This stacks with another high yield torpedo skill if the proc goes off at the same time.)
SPR1 (This torpedo has a 2.5% chance of firing a spread version of itself. Stacks as well)
PHSD (This torpedo has a 2.5% chance of ignoring shields completely.)
I could go on and on, the ideas for making loot drops interesting are limitless. And I bet that most of you would agree that these ideas here are not game-breaking but will instead EXPAND the games longevity and re-playability. Cryptic needs to hire me asap

Keep in mind, this could all be restricted to crafting to make that a worthwhile and interesting venture.
BTW Devs, i know and understand you had to rush this out as quickly as possible. So whenever you can, add more features like this to loot.

Quick Edit: I also would love to see engines with +power attributes as well. Efficient engines are full of win.

Discuss.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Ok. But when you can't fire up your starship cause your BO left the map light on overnight, you're gonna be wishing they did more battery drops
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-04-2010, 12:15 AM
They should add "slots" into weapons and other equipment items, where you can put upgrades with certain effects. For example, upgrades that lower weapon cooldown, a chance to proc certain skills, more crit, acc, etc, whatever. This allows for a lot of room for new items and gives the grinders among us (me) something to do. Also, this way we will see more variety among ships.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-04-2010, 01:11 AM
I for one can't wait to get the first epic deflector array drop from the infected raid
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-04-2010, 01:26 AM
I'm a bit confused about loot, rewards and items all about in this game.

There are very good rewards for some missions (example a shield and an engine). Other things created by "crafting" are okay and also good stuff to get by doing the exploring missions (comming with those badges).

On the other side loot seems to bee complete random and mostly disapointing (to much batteries from battle ships or endmobs of single missions). Happened at last yesterday after destoying the last ship at the end of "shariens swords"(?) around level 30.

Confusing about MK VI - items must not be better than MK IV - items all times.
Wondering, why there is so a big mix between the given possibilities to get stuff. Seems to need a better concept all in all.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-04-2010, 01:38 AM
Bah. You want to spice up the loot tables? Howabout when you blow up a borg cube you get a chance at a rare reclaimed Borg BO.

Or you scan some anomalous data and find an android BO. Surely THAT is in the 'Lore'.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Some very "constructive" posts so far, bumping.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-04-2010, 11:41 AM
it would be nice to see things like costume pieces, custom ship parts, pets, etc as loot drops......or a title...or achievement...

so people can say " wow ! where did you get that cool-azz uniform ?? " or "whoa !! thats a funky-kewl warp pylon !! "

/
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Whoa, socketed items (ala Diablo 2) sounds like an idea that has merit for the crafting revamp. Like, maybe if you have three [+cap] shield arrays you could destroy them and in return get a [+cap] you could put in any of your higher level item's 3 slots to make it better.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Loot table should include a percentage chance for dropping spock.