Lt. Commander
# 1 Can Cryptic Handle it
03-04-2010, 03:32 AM
This is not a anti-Cryptic thread, just so you know.

With all the suggestions and such and all the things we are wanted added to the game. It begs the question can the game engine handle all of this? Would parts of the game need serious rewrite or revamp to implement some of the longer reach ideas? Here are some questions I thought of.

Can the game engine support:

Increasing sandbox style play in some instances?

Increasing the number of skills?

Increasing the number of levels or grades?

Adding more ship customizing options?

Adding more planets to established planetary systems?

creating a more seemless flow between sectors?

These are just a few.

I know it is Cryptic's engine and they can modify it however they like, but surely there is a limit to what can be done before a total revamp would be necessary. So in effect, I am asking where is that limit?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-04-2010, 03:38 AM
All the things you have asked for are pretty trivial in programming terms. If the engine can't handle them just now I am sure that the intern can tweak it to handle them.

Buy why, Mr. Burning Atari, do you care?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-04-2010, 03:40 AM
I'll wait and see. It's always easier to make a list then to take stuff of it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-04-2010, 03:41 AM
Having looked at other games using the same engine, there is plenty of room for improvements/expansion.
I believe cryptic has kept themselves within the limits of their knowledge/ability and chosen to make the game in a way in which any changes can be made relatively easily.
The only change I can foresee that would be near impossible for them to do using the current engine, is to change the gae into a totally open one instance game. That would require a rewrite basically from scratch, and would probably end out as a totally new game rather than changes to the current one.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-04-2010, 03:42 AM
i lose more and more faith in Cryptic with each passing day. I mean 1 month and only thing add'ed is a new mission? sure alot of paint is added but the structure is still in ruin
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-04-2010, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbleskin View Post
i lose more and more faith in Cryptic with each passing day. I mean 1 month and only thing add'ed is a new mission? sure alot of paint is added but the structure is still in ruin
You do realize most MMO's don't add new content within the first month of coming out, right?
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-04-2010, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorako View Post
You do realize most MMO's don't add new content within the first month of coming out, right?
just like they dont add anything in OB or dident add anything in head start so ofc they dont add anything in the first month. you do realize that most MMO's dont really add anything in the first year. The first 5 years of a MMO are the gathering info years
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-04-2010, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenda
All the things you have asked for are pretty trivial in programming terms. If the engine can't handle them just now I am sure that the intern can tweak it to handle them.

Buy why, Mr. Burning Atari, do you care?

Hmmm, just because I don't like Atari doesn't mean I don't like the game. I know you might find that hard to understand.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-04-2010, 03:53 AM
I think they will all go nuts, move to an island and live like simple village folk. I mean they probably could afford their own island.

And there would be a Del Taco on it as their only source of food.

Coding can drive a person insane, it does something to those people. They start to mutate into strange creatures.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-04-2010, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorako View Post
most mmorpg's have alot more content at launch. post launch is mostly about tweaking/enhancing whats already ingame very rarely do mmorpg need so much core level content post launch. Needless to say cryptic has their work cut out for them. Only thing we can do is hope the ST IP is strong enough to keep enough people into this game while cryptic builds all the content the game needs to transform it from a arcade shooter to a mmorpg. If not then this might be another tabula rasa the devs of that game launched with little content at launch and promised to add more over time and they did add plenty of content but by the time it was added most of the players left and the game couldnt pay the bills anymore.