Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
What this game really is missing is any form of story and any sense of adventure.
All of the missions in this game are really simplistic and quite boring.. run from point A to point B shooting baddies who are x distance apart.. All the locations look the same.. same blue metal corridors, same planet different colour, same number of deep encounter ships at the same distance apart.. the list of 'sameness' goes on and on and on.
There is no connetion between me at the sto universe. I don't care about it. I don't care about my fellow players. Why should I when I feel alone in a storyless repetitive nightmare. I mean, those unmapped zones.. delta volcanis or whatever it is.. what's that all about ? Blank maps ???? Hellooo?

I am an old git, I'm 39 and I'm not a trekkie, but I do love sci-fi. I used to play text only adventures on my commodore 64 - they were way more fun than STO. They were way more exciting because they gave me a sense of exploration and adventure and discovery, there were puzzles to complete and very few clues - that spawned debate and research and joy when a puzzle was solved and you could move on..

Deus Ex or Half life or single player COD4 or Modern warfare are brilliant because of the story and the adventure and the action.. Deus is almost all story but it is possibly the greatest game ever made imho,
heavy rain is another one.. no gameplay whatsoever but absorbing because of the story..

Now how about going back to some fundamental game design and giving us some stories to participate in and become engrossed in, instead of just reading them and then dropping into the repeat loop again.

Also what's wrong with a 1st person view option on ground missions and a 1st person bridge view for space battles ??? I HATE third person view, I don't want to push around some rubbish moveable dolly... I want to BE my character and see through their eyes, I want to be INSIDE that ship flying it, not watching it fly... it gives me a sense of involvement. I would LOVE to see you make something of this game and make your millions but as it stands, I have a lifetime sub for a game that I no longer play.

On the other hand, I can't wait for battlefield bad company 2.. maybe you could bring in a FPS PVP element.. half a dozen maps, bring your game weapons and a few vehicles.. robert picardo is yer muvva's bruvva lol.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way it's meant with the best intentions.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Then you really need to pay attention to the Episodic missions. Those are what you are looking for. That's are the absolute best parts of of the game. If you like any of the Star Trek TV series or movies, there is something in them for you. The story line not drawing you in?

Just in you want to stop reading there.

********* SPOILERS ****************

I don't spoil things too much. And maybe wet your appetite for the upper levels. Remember the Hobus Suvernova? You know the star that was on the edge of the Romulan Empire that managed to wipe out the Romulan homeworlds? The star that was hundreds of light years away that destroyed two planets weeks after the star exploded? (Recall that stars don't usually do the faster than light thing). A star that went Supernova, an explosion which outshines an entire galaxy: i.e. 100,000,000+ stars). There shouldn't be anything be hot plasma left in the wake of the Hobus Supernova. And yet there are 3 relatively intact planets left in the Hobus system. What the Q is up with that?

Why are the Undine (Species 8472) back in our galaxy near the Federation? Capt. Janeway seemed to have a semi-ceasefire hashed out with the Commander pseuso-Bootheby of the Undine training area.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-04-2010, 10:25 AM
I am a casual follower of the Star Trek series and I just love the storyline we get to progress through. There are many different stories going on all with a huge impact on the world of Star Trek. I'm not sure if you are just skipping through all the missions just to reach admiral but there is a wealth of story in this game and it is very exciting for those of us who pay attention. Just my opinion I guess.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-04-2010, 10:52 AM
One of the things that struck me when I started playing STO in open beta was the lack of an overarching narrative. You start the game, get your missions from Adm. Quinn and run them. Between missions or mission arcs the environment is sterile. There's no sense of anything going on. It's not so much that there aren't stories or missions, just that they feel like isolated pockets hovering in a vacuum. Kind of like stars in space.

To illustrate another way, using another Cryptic developed game, in City of Heroes, when you're between missions, in the world, you can look around and see crime happening, you can see enemies everywhere, there is a sense of things happening all around you and the world being alive and danger everywhere. When you do a mission or task force you feel as though you've done something in the world.

In STO, when you are between missions, there is no sense of anything. No danger, no activity, no direction. You do missions that seem isolated from the universe. Battle a faction for a while, then you stop and move off to fight a different faction for a while. You fight the Klingons for a while, then you just stop and move off to fight Romulans and Remans and Hirogen but there's no real closure for moving away from the fight with the Klingons. There's no narrative in the game to progress you from Klingons to Romulans to Terrans to Borg. Some Admiral just shows up in your contact list with new missions in a different part of space.

I think that's what the OP is talking about, the lack of a universal narrative voice in the game. Sure there are stories in the missions (and some very good ones too), but the game is really lacking a universal sense of anything at all. It doesn't really give the player any reason to care, doesn't try to draw the player into the universe (and if you don't already have a strong background in Star Trek, that can be a problem). It feels like starting a trilogy with the third book and the author assumes you've read the first two books and makes no effort to catch you up and fill you in.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-04-2010, 11:26 AM
you can look around and see crime happening, you can see enemies everywhere, there is a sense of things happening all around you

No danger, no activity,

Then why are so many complaining about suddenly being drawn into fleet actions
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-04-2010, 11:38 AM
While I do enjoy the storyline missions of STO, I think that a professional based story tree would also help with the immersion factor.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz View Post
One of the things that struck me when I started playing STO in open beta was the lack of an overarching narrative. You start the game, get your missions from Adm. Quinn and run them. Between missions or mission arcs the environment is sterile. There's no sense of anything going on. It's not so much that there aren't stories or missions, just that they feel like isolated pockets hovering in a vacuum. Kind of like stars in space.
They are stars in space, quite literally they are isolated pockets hovering in a vacuum. This isn't a busy city, it's space, the only things that happen in space are bad guys fly up and try to kill you, thus deep space encounters. Systems have planets and life and are busy with all that, but space is just empty.

You could have 10,000 ships in one system and unless they were orbiting the same world the only way you'd know more than a couple were there was from your scanners.

As far as story lines go, the episodes are awesome story lines. Yes the objectives seem like all kill five bad guys to free the planet. But how are you not going to have that in a game? They could choose not to post how many bad guys there are to kill in the objectives window but people like to know how far along they are. Just make sure and read the story parts of the missions, not just the objective window.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-04-2010, 12:56 PM
It's best to give it time. I doubt things will be this way a year from now. Anyone ever play SWG (Star Wars Galaxies)? In the beginning there were no vehicles to travel around or to planets, everyone had to walk or run. As time went on the vehicles were added and an expansion pack for star ships. Further down the road more missions, features and so on. I have read several game reviews about STO lacking in certain areas of game play content but kept in mind that over time the developers would add more content and work on any bugs. It takes a lot to develop games especially MMO's. I imagine the flow charts for a game like this are immense let alone the programming code and all the objects put in to this game. Take it from someone who used to script missions using C++ 6.0 for Starfleet Command. Hats off and a big thanks to you developers.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Odd. I just got done a few things where I actually stopped and read the text on each mission load... and was sort of intrigued at some of the things I'd frequently taken for granted. And there have been a few story-heavy missions (most of the things Quinn or T'nae give you are longer missions with fairly solid stories to them; I think these do the best job of capturing the feel of the TV series) that I've absolutely loved and felt giddy over going through.

There are even a few patrol missions that make me get a genuine 'Trek' feel out of the series.

I guess everyone has different definitions of what qualifies as 'story', though. :/
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-04-2010, 01:48 PM
I'd agree that some missions that involve thought would be nice. I've grown tired of the ground game because the fights are entirely too long. I mean seriously, how many waves do I need to defeat to finish this mission? I'm just as displeased with the ones that are super easy and essentially have you run around a room and talk to NPCs. More variability with what is already there would make a world of difference.

I like the game and will continue to play. But the ground missions are painful at times, especially after the 20th group of 5 bad guys. I'd like a happy mix of the ground combat with some good story and puzzle type things. But no more 50 Klingons to plow through kind of missions.

EDIT: This applies mainly to the Ground side of STO for me. The space combat running and gunning is actually fun. I've played space action games since Xwing vs tie and really enjoy the space side of the game the most. I definitely would like to see more depth to these missions in space. I really really liked the template that was used in the tutorial of the game. I'd like to see more of that. (moving through other ships, a constant ongoing "mission")