Lt. Commander
# 11
03-04-2010, 02:42 PM
I just cleared infected with my BG5 and a great PUG.

1. It was a huge pain learning ground combat this late in the game. Ground PvP is lame, and most Klingons avoid it completely. I went into this mission with 4 kit abilities and 4 captain abilities I didn't know how to use. I never got to 'grow into it' the way feds do.

2. I had some honor laying around unspent, so I went and bought purple shields, armor and a split beam rifle. I also bought a blue kit. Going in properly equipped was good, except that all the loot sucked compared to what I was wearing.

3. This mission was brutal, no two ways about it. It really does suck going into this unexperienced with ground combat.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-04-2010, 03:31 PM
I was in a decent pug and we failed at the end. One guy got upset and left so we were screwed. It is hard. Not great fun for me anyway. I thought the mission details were poor. Didn't tell you much and other than it is Borg there is no real compelling reason why I would want to help the Feds out.

If this is supposed to be a daily it takes way too long IMHO.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-04-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm not sure "Daily" is quite right. I'm sure somebody's going to take offense at this, but I'd say the closest comparison would be "WoW Heroic Instance".

5-man content on a 24-hour cooldown with epic loot. Challenging for players who are new to the model (which is everybody right now), probably not so much for better geared/organized players who will be able to run these very quickly in the future to stock up alternative currency (Marks of Whatever) and exchange them for additional high-level gear.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-04-2010, 04:12 PM
It looks like my focusing on a heavily Ground Speced Nausican technical officer is going to pay off later.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-04-2010, 04:16 PM
I left wow for just this reason. Welcome to STO grind for gear. One daily was bad enough.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-04-2010, 05:56 PM
I tried this earlier with a Klingon PUG, I didn't enjoy one bit. I have purple ground gear, tons of ground skills but it didn't do jack for this mission. My group spent one hour and cleared about 4 rooms before someone dropped. A lot of dying, a lot of spamming your best attack at the spawn interlinks.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-04-2010, 09:55 PM
We got to the final room with just 3 people the whole way through. Granted we died like 30 times doing it. We stopped at the final room because for some reason we couldn't get the 3 columns to activate (the 3 before the door worked but we had problems with the 3 in the room to take down the first shield). One of our members was clicking but it wasn't doing the interaction at all. We tried switching positions but that didn't help. Might have been able to fix it by having him relog but it was getting late anyway.

Kinda curious to see if we could finish the whole thing with 3 people.

It's not *too* terrible once you realize what's going on and how you have to actually get the Borg to die and stay dead.

Still, no way would I do this daily.

I think I'll be able to run this map about 5 times before I get completely bored with it. Needs PvP content to have longer term replayability.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-04-2010, 11:54 PM
I ran this again all the way today first with 5 people, than after the first boss one person dropped. We ended up with 3 tacticals and one engie. Last part is pretty difficult for borg keep respawning all the time and you have about 4 minutes to deactivate and upload virus in 4 shields. One laggy jump and we are down to 3 people. My group spent about hour and a half in the final room trying to get all 4 shields down. One person kept falling down, than we started running out of the hypos/shield charges.

Mission itself is not hard, it is very tedious.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-05-2010, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurgh View Post
LordTareq: I wonder if you joined a ground PvP instance. It's a lot harder than the PvE.
I guess the not so serious tone of my post didn't make it to the other side.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-05-2010, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecase View Post
I'm not home yet to try out the new content, but I'm curious how realistic it will be for Klingons to beat it in the first few days. After all, how many of you have spent any epic badges (Marks of Honor) on ground gear, or put any points whatsoever in a ground tree? Or rolled a race with actual ground bonuses instead of space-focused alien character templates?
To be honest, I'd expect the average Klingon has as good or better ground gear than the average Fed. They gets tons of PvP badges, so might as well spend those on ground gear. Unlike Feds, their typical ground encounter has no BOffs in the equation. So they'll most likely own multiple weapons for different circumstances. Exploit, expose, stun, bat'leths, whatever. Your typical Fed will most likely be running around with just 2 weapons, probably both exploit as he relies upon his BOffs to create exposes.

He should also be more used to working as a team, as the queue tries to generate 5 on 5 matches. Your typical Fed most likely has spent the vast majority of his time with an away team made up of 3-4 BOffs.

And, just like Fed side, the space loot offered for the daily badges are pretty meh. A shield, a deflector, maybe a tricobalt toy. But after that, ground stuff.