Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiDragoon View Post
I thought research had been conducted that says this isn't accurate; at 50 shield power, you get 100% of the item tooltip regen, at 100 shield power you get 3x the item tooltip, and at 25 power you get 0 regen. For that matter, I'm pretty sure it's been determined that anything with a power relation is standard at 50 power and increases/decreases in potential from there.
In general, at power level 25, the subsystem is barely operational. Weapons will fire, but energy weapons will only do a mediocre amount of damage. The ship can move forward and turn (Engine and AUX) at slow rates. Shields will protect the ships, but they don't regenerate.

From there, power level 50 == 1x (or base performance level), 75 == 2x, 100 == 3x and 125 == 4x. For shields, 50 means the shield regnerate at the base level as shown on the tool tip. At 75, it's 2x the base regen rate, 100 is 3x the base regen rate, and finally 125 means you are nearly unkillable at 4x regeneration rate.

Note: Nothing makes a Cruiser Captain cry more than a Science Ships with Regenerative Shields running at max power level (125). (Die. Die. Die. Die. Die. Why won't you DIE?!?!?!?!)
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiDragoon View Post
I thought research had been conducted that says this isn't accurate; at 50 shield power, you get 100% of the item tooltip regen, at 100 shield power you get 3x the item tooltip, and at 25 power you get 0 regen. For that matter, I'm pretty sure it's been determined that anything with a power relation is standard at 50 power and increases/decreases in potential from there.
I simplified to make it more understandable. When you start adding the actual formulas you quickly get lost in the explanation.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
Outside of BO skills, the only things that affects how well subsystems perform at the base equipment, consoles and power settings. Spending points on Starship Shields Maintenance will not improve your Shields. Those captain skills improves you BO's skills. The place where Captain skills can improve subsystem directly are power skills (and traits).

Starship Warp Core Training (and Warp Core Theorist trait) will give a power settings bonus to subsystems at lower power settings (i.e. less then 75). The lower the setting, the higher the bonus. Subsystem Efficiency skills likewise will give a power setting bonus like Warp Core Training does. The Subsystem Performance skills give a straight power setting bonus regards of power setting (+1 /rank).

All of the above skills will improve your power settings in various ways and increase how well you subsystems work. TL;DR More Power == More Better subsystem. IF you want to know more about the skills, read the Ship Power guide liked in my sig below.
Thank you mate.

I think for someone who doesn't have the nerv (I guess I should though) to think about points here, points theres, it would be cool to have a short summary as in
Increase shield: invest in skill xyz
Inrease shield regen: invest in yyy
Then again, that is what most faqs are, just a bit more thorough, since many skills are connected and don't stand alone. Guess it wouldn't matter for a casual player with testing if there were a respec.
Maybe I will reroll - think I have done some useless skill point distributions
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-05-2010, 01:48 PM
You might also find BigBadB's blog useful, it's filled to the brim with great tips.

http://theenginescannaetakeit.wordpress.com/articles-3/

Careful you don't trip and fall down the rabbit hole, you might find yourself comparing weapon ranges lying in bed at night .

-HD
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-05-2010, 02:41 PM
When I restarted my fourth character I made a note to check the shield skills. When I trained Starship Shield Maintenance it gave me more shield bonus per activation of Emergency Power to Shields, and when I trained Starship Shield Efficiency it prolonged the energy bonus to shields by a few seconds per activation in addition to giving a slight increase in power. Since I mostly go in guns blazing and shields at 50+ the latter skill wasn't quite as useful to me though, and I will skip it entirely in my next build.

That char is Captain now, so I'm about to train Starship Shield Performance. Other than giving +1 to setting per level, I am not yet sure what other effects it gives on the skills.