Lt. Commander
# 21
03-08-2010, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Missions onboard your ship have been a topic of much debate among the dev team since the beginning of the project.

We really want to do them, but everything we do has to be formatted for a team. In the case of an Episode, that's up to five players.

Say an alien virus gets loose on your ship and starts affecting your crew. That's great if you're solo, but what if you're on a team? Is it your ship? Your teammate's ship? The team leader's ship?

We're always looking for new ways to deliver content, and we are looking for fun, workable solutions to quandries such as this. So it's not out of the realm of possibility, but we can't put a date on it.
Could this not generate a team mission (same as with now) on a ship randomly chosen (I mean genesis can mix and match interiors so your engine could accomodate the custtom designs right?).

Anyways it would be great if you incorporate this into existing mission formats as a chance encounter. Lets say this happened after a normal exploration mission where I scanned 5 artifacts?
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Missions on board your ship have been a topic of much debate among the Dev team since the beginning of the project.

We really want to do them, but everything we do has to be formatted for a team. In the case of an Episode, that's up to five players.

Say an alien virus gets loose on your ship and starts affecting your crew. That's great if you're solo, but what if you're on a team? Is it your ship? Your teammate's ship? The team leader's ship?

We're always looking for new ways to deliver content, and we are looking for fun, workable solutions to quandaries such as this. So it's not out of the realm of possibility, but we can't put a date on it.
I find it odd that everything in the game excluding crystalline entity and the new Task-Force things is seemingly designed for solo play, and yet the reasoning for not adding bridge combat/ship-interior-missions is because it would hinder group play? Might want to look at the entire game excluding what I mentioned then, as it's all solo.

Don't take this post as insulting as that's not it's intent. I actually enjoy this game and have high hopes for it future.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-08-2010, 08:52 AM
I recently did the mission "Crack in the Mirror." The mission starts on DS9 where you have to repel an invading ground force. To initiate it though, you beam over to the public instance of DS9 and activate a door on the promenade. What if activating an internal ship mission the same way. If you have a team, they beam over to the bridge of the ship they want as the setting and take they turbolift. Keep it simple.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientDwarvenChaosKnight
I find it odd that everything in the game excluding crystalline entity and the new Task-Force things is seemingly designed for solo play, and yet the reasoning for not adding bridge combat/ship-interior-missions is because it would hinder group play? Might want to look at the entire game excluding what I mentioned then, as it's all solo.

Don't take this post as insulting as that's not it's intent. I actually enjoy this game and have high hopes for it future.
While all of that other content is easily completable solo, I think the important thing is that it all allows the possibility of grouping. I'm pretty sure Kestrel is saying that they aren't making any exclusively solo content, and so any new content has to accommodate team play somehow.
Lt. Commander
# 25 Sounds awsome
03-08-2010, 11:06 AM
That sound awsome. Your ship gets boarded like in many episodes of startrek. Voyager seemed to get boarded a lot lol
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorDroneTimmy
That sound awsome. Your ship gets boarded like in many episodes of startrek. Voyager seemed to get boarded a lot lol
Lol, yeah the Delta Quadrant didn't get the "No taking over federation ships" memo. Only cheeky Ferengi are allowed to do that. :p
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Missions onboard your ship have been a topic of much debate among the dev team since the beginning of the project.

We're always looking for new ways to deliver content, and we are looking for fun, workable solutions to quandries such as this. So it's not out of the realm of possibility, but we can't put a date on it.
whats wrong with some solo missions?
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-09-2010, 09:23 PM
If I were to do quests in my ship interior, id not want the interior to be some randomly generated cluster of hallways and rooms. We should be able to make our ship layouts, and have a system implemented in game so we can customize our own interiors...these missions would feel stupid if it didnt feel like I was on my own ship.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgomir View Post
If I were to do quests in my ship interior, id not want the interior to be some randomly generated cluster of hallways and rooms. We should be able to make our ship layouts, and have a system implemented in game so we can customize our own interiors...these missions would feel stupid if it didnt feel like I was on my own ship.
I agree. I would not want this to be a series of hallways/rooms with computers in them. If they do make this random, it should involve bar fights! haha:p
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfs5519 View Post
you could simply allow the player to solo and alert the team that their teammate is in trouble, and leave the ship to idle in the sectors or space maps marked "quarantined" or "ship in distress" and when the teammate or anyone else willing to help gets close enough, a selection window opens to join the event (up to 5 people). If you really want to add variety, allow some to be away team (bridge officer) events and some to be regular team (player) events.
I think this is the best way to do it. Allows for either solo play or team-based play, without any complicated rules about whose ship it'll be on. If you want, maybe it can be set where there's only one or two ship-interior set missions on a single ship a day, that way you don't just sit there taking those missions all the time for XP without going anywhere. As for the mission content itself, it can be generated with the genesis system already in place.

As for interior locations, have then picked like the bridge is. You pick from a set of pre-made locations, like I could have the standard bridge, a utility engine room, but maybe I want a luxurious mess-hall/lounge. the system is already in palce for that kind of selection in the form of bridges, and you could start off with a handful of the important rooms (engineering, mess-hall, shuttle-bay, holodeck for holodeck-gone-bad missions, and then maybe cargo bay). I mean, holodeck is easy to do just pick TNG-style, VOY-style, or DS9-style holosuites. And maybe some of them can be linked with corridors (which, I'm now level designer or game programmer, but connecting two rooms with a hallway does not sound that hard).