Lt. Commander
# 31
03-10-2010, 08:44 AM
For the holodeck, you could get a message from BO 1 that BOs 2, 3, and 4 are trapped in the holodeck, and the transporter room can't get a lock to beam them out, but that two people could be beamed in. You then go in with one BO and have to rescue the other three (each one joining your party as they are rescued) and then resolve the problem that was keeping them trapped. Obviously, that's a solo mission, but I do think it's okay to have a few in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I don't see a problem with a few solo missions, as long as they're not part of the main storyline the episode missions have, then people who want to team up can just ignore them, while people who want to play a solo mission can play them.

Or just go with one of the suggestions for team-up interior missions.
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-31-2010, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Missions onboard your ship have been a topic of much debate among the dev team since the beginning of the project.

We really want to do them, but everything we do has to be formatted for a team. In the case of an Episode, that's up to five players.

Say an alien virus gets loose on your ship and starts affecting your crew. That's great if you're solo, but what if you're on a team? Is it your ship? Your teammate's ship? The team leader's ship?

We're always looking for new ways to deliver content, and we are looking for fun, workable solutions to quandries such as this. So it's not out of the realm of possibility, but we can't put a date on it.
Well, maybe this is one place where you could differentiate between how you scale missions for groups?

My suggestion is, make most ship missions timed. Starfleet IS pushing a lot of junior officers (who may not be equipped to make hard choices) into command positions and brevet promotions and it IS wartime, meaning the sensitivity of ship specs is pretty vital. Maybe the ships set themselves to auto-destruct if compromised.

From a game PoV, that means that instead of ramping up the difficulty of group missions, you just balance away missions (which tend to be easier) on time goals. This keeps things from being too long. I also think it might be an interesting plotline if you have an episode that revolves around Klingons stealing Federation ships and our discovery that Starfleet doesn't treat us like "real" admirals, giving the ships an auto-destruct that's out of our control. It would be refreshing to barge into Quinn's office and chew him out for everything we're asked to do only to be rebuffed that we aren't "real" admirals and that things like the emergency auto-destruct in the event of a ship being compromised are something we'll have to accept.

As far as whose ship? My response is: all of them. Have us beam back and forth if it makes sense. If it doesn't make sense, make it the mission owner's ship.
Lt. Commander
# 34
04-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Couldn't you just set ship-based episodes up similar to deep space encounters and have them just randomly pop-up with an option to decline?

Even when I've been teamed up, it's so easy to get split up, too. I don't know if you guys have tried to do a survey or anything, but I have a feeling most people are playing this game solo anyway and don't really care about teaming up for most missions or not.
Lt. Commander
# 35 Building the ship interrior.
04-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Getting away from missions for a moment and getting back to the interior of your ship. Like Ten forward as someone mentioned already and Ready room, I see the conferance room as well where they set up there going to do for there mission. Now I'm not saying build every room just the most talked about and most seen in Tv shows to start with. The engine room would be nice to see and I notice there is no Emote for using the computer or i might have missed it. now I know there is alot of ships but must have same look of rooms inside and some like engine rooms will be different as well.

I know most of what we would like to say will take all alot of time and energy to do it and most of us will get bord or cant afford the paments anymore. would be nice walk apon the ship during your tavels or just sitting at base. There is alot of potential for this game And it can be the Star Trek life online, With accademy and chosing real people to be on your ship. But you start out in Accademy to this can be Co-op type.

I like to point out that the way your on the bridge and you beam on and off I think just go to the Turbo lift and go to Transporter room. for the fun of it make that a built in game chose options menu. If you want go old way or not. The Tactical view map mode and all I think you stay on bridge and click on the computer you see in front of you depending on what council you are at. any way thats it.
Lt. Commander
# 36 Interior Team Missions
06-06-2010, 11:17 AM
I am happy to see this discussion going on. Interior (combat and non-combat) missions are a critical component of the genre. Cryptic has a rule that needs to be followed: all missions are designed to accomodate up to five players. I am proposing an approach that might accomodate most people's, but especially Cryptic's goals: multi-player ships.

First, it would be great to have a live bridge crew enabling more abilities of each ship. Each bridge officer controlling their specific station from their computer. Limits on station capabilities would still exist, but perhaps a really good tactical/science/engineering officer might get one more option out of his station.

Second, being on a multi-player ship could be like being in a fleet, optional. No changes to the experience rate for bridge officers. No changes at all really. Just give players a choice to invite other players onto their ship and take the role of one of the existing bridge officers. Perhaps we'll broaden the player-population to those individuals a little more passive. They like Star Trek, they like doing things with their friends, but they don't want to compete and be as active, which eventually gets their characters out-of-level with their friend's characters, so they stop playing. I have had that experience, I am sure I am not alone.

Third, interior missions could be a voluntary setting on the controls. They happen whenever you plot a course to a new destination, giving you the option to accept. You complete the interior mission, you show up at your destination. No flying through the vastness of space. If you don't want interior missions, just turn them off and it's like they never existed. The game remains exactly the same.

Fourth, I would suggest having a different type of reward that is not part of character-leveling to keep in balance with players not interested in doing interior missions, accolades in ten-forward or some such thing. Perhaps unlocking items in the captain's quarters, more for a sense of accomplishment, like trophies on the shelf.

Okay, that's all I have. But I will use this opportunity to suggest a couple other ideas I have read in the forums. Holodeck missions, how can you not have them? It opens up the entire imagination... Sherlock Holmes, Gunfight at the OK Corral (not orignally a holodeck mission), Robin Hood, etc.

Finally, building your own fleet by building your bridge officers to become captains. They already fight and hold their own on away missions, there should be no problem of making them look like Federation ships to follow you around and hold their own in epic space battles.
Lt. Commander
# 37
06-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Missions onboard your ship have been a topic of much debate among the dev team since the beginning of the project.

We really want to do them, but everything we do has to be formatted for a team. In the case of an Episode, that's up to five players.

Say an alien virus gets loose on your ship and starts affecting your crew. That's great if you're solo, but what if you're on a team? Is it your ship? Your teammate's ship? The team leader's ship?

We're always looking for new ways to deliver content, and we are looking for fun, workable solutions to quandries such as this. So it's not out of the realm of possibility, but we can't put a date on it.
Hey Kes, I will happily play interior missions as solo content, if that's the price for missions aboard my ship.

I think the same goes for anything that could be developed regarding BOff story arcs. These should probably be private missions, for you and your BOffs alone. In fact, I think it's better that way.

Sure, it's an MMO, and social gaming is important, but a lot of us prefer solo content as well. You guys gave us the STFs and Fleet Actions (which are only for groups) and all of the main story-line missions can be done in groups, so I think it's perfectly ok to go the opposite way on some missions and design content that we can only enjoy solo as well.
Lt. Commander
# 38
06-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoruAkai
First let me say that as a wow player for 2 years I have had more fun than you can imagine with this game so far. The graphics are wonderful and the game play has at least at times been challenging. I am very impressed with your efforts even when you don't take into account the short timeline you no doubt had to execute this game after the first developer failed.

I am a big TNG fan and have seen most of all of the other series episodes. I would like to propose the idea (once ship interiors are in place) of adding ship interior quests. Who can think of Trek without the many quests which were entirely based inside of the ship. Tracking down why another Picard appeared in a shuttle outside of the enterprise, or how a Holodeck character has taken control of the ship, or a disease that has overtaken the crew, or a spacial anomoly that is effecting the ship, or how the occupants of a derelict ship that beamed aboard affect certain crew members or the ship. I hope that in time you will turn to the interior of the ship as fertile ground for quest expansion.

Many thanks for all of your efforts so far,

Koru Akai
I like this idea too. Only I wold have stuff like "another Picard appeared in a shuttle outside of the enterprise, or how a Holodeck character has taken control of the ship, or a disease that has overtaken the crew, or a spacial anomoly that is effecting the ship, or how the occupants of a derelict ship that beamed aboard affect certain crew members or the ship" happen randomly instead of being linear quest.