Lt. Commander
# 1 Repeated Server Disconnects
03-05-2010, 12:44 AM
After about an hour or so of gameplay the server starts to continually disconnect me from the game. Last night within a 30 minute timeframe I was dc'd a dozen times. No one else in my guild (Pax Infinitus) stated they were having these issues, some said they were rubberbanding. I have current drivers at this time. I play SWG, LOTRO, and WOW as well as sto and I dont have these issues in those games.

I did a dxdiag, but it says I am not allowed to post attachments so I don't know how to attach a zip file of my dxdiag.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-05-2010, 01:27 AM
I have same issue here with my DxDiag: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=133264

The problem seems to be a combination of local (ie your computer) and server (ie cryptic) issues. Because in trying to wrap my brain around the problem it seems like one can cause the other.

If you look at the tracert's I did, the highest pings were in fact Crpytic's internal servers. (Ie where it just becomes a normal IP Address like under a LAN).

However I cannot rule out graphical issues as well. But laggy graphics doesn't = server disconnects as far as my logic in comps goes.

I'd suggest that this issue be pooled into this post here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=133264

To see if we can get some attention?

Focke-Wulf
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Thank you. I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one having this issue. Like everyone else I started noticing the problem right after the last patch, before that I rarely had any problems. Thanks I'll also post information to the tread later this afternoon.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-05-2010, 06:50 AM
Same here. Happens more when moving to a different map.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-05-2010, 06:54 AM
If you dc while transferring maps, lower your world detail down to 50% or 0%.

those who are experiencing rubber banding, post your router model/driver info, and run http://files.champions-online.com/nettest.exe and post the results. Never go by tracerts as they are usually inaccurate.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-05-2010, 07:30 AM
As you move through different instances (maps), you will switch destination server IP and TCP ports.

Here is an example
  • B'Tran cluster - TCP 208.95.184.168:7208 ESTABLISHED
  • Gamma Orionis Sector Block - TCP 208.95.184.95:7273 ESTABLISHED
  • Deep Space Encounter - TCP 208.95.184.88:7008 ESTABLISHED
  • Gamma Oreinonis Sector Block - TCP 208.95.184.95:7273 ESTABLISHED

It's possible you are getting packet loss on one or more of the TCP 7000-7500 ports, that would result in some instances (maps) timing out or laggy while others are not.

It could be small packet performance issues with your router / modem, a majority of the traffic is between 40 and 79 bytes.

You may have a conflict between your Operating System, Network Adapter, and STO client. Install the current driver specific to your brand, model, and revision.

If you are using wireless and not using your wireless adapter manufactures manager you may be a victim of WLAN Autoconfig lag spikes. Some companies have released updated drivers that take care of this.

I have a network monitoring and troubleshooting section in my FAQ
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...29#post2281229
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-05-2010, 07:37 AM
I am not experiencing lag, or fps issues. Just will be doing a mission, fighting, or moving onto the next objective say scan computer or destroy the next squadron. No switching of maps. Bam dissconnected from server. My FPS is around 59-60 constant. I don't rubberband much if any at all.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asergaottie View Post
I am not experiencing lag, or fps issues. Just will be doing a mission, fighting, or moving onto the next objective say scan computer or destroy the next squadron. No switching of maps. Bam dissconnected from server. My FPS is around 59-60 constant. I don't rubberband much if any at all.
Sounds like that port is being dynamically blocked or more likely reset by someone in the middle (ISP) - that would result in a bam

Run in window mode, have netstat -n ready to go at a command prompt. Immediatly when you get disconnected, see what TCP 7xxx port and server IP are in that list. You can try telneting to that IP and port right away or use my Ping Plotter example.

If this is a common occurrence having the tools ready to go shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-05-2010, 08:03 AM
Ok will have those ready when I get home from work. This morning I went into my firewall and checked the cryptic game launcher and the game client and it said it allows communication between all TCP ports and none are blocked atm, but I will give it a go. I could change the rule to allow all TCP and UDP if you think that will help.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asergaottie View Post
This morning I went into my firewall and checked the cryptic game launcher and the game client and it said it allows communication between all TCP ports and none are blocked atm, but I will give it a go. I could change the rule to allow all TCP and UDP if you think that will help.
No, that is not needed. You need outbound TCP 80, 443, 7000 through 7500. UDP isn't used in this game. All connections are established from the game client to the server (no port forwarding needed).

If you find that the 208 server connection is already gone when you run netstat -n, you can use a Microsoft tool called TCPView. You can have that running in the background while you play the game, just need to check it within a few seconds of getting the disconnect to make sure it isn't cleared out of the list.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897437.aspx