Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
No to renaming the ranks. I like being and Admiral, thank you. Ranks are fine as is.
I didn't suggest renaming the ranks, did I?

I said if we're going to be admirals, have us be actual admirals, basically.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Isn't it Rear Admiral? So shouldn't you have a few asses to order around?

Seriously though I never liked the ranking system. Titles like Admiral should either come with being head of your own fleet (with other titles for officers) or as something you earn separately, say by PvPing. (I say this as a non-pvper, btw)
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-05-2010, 11:00 AM
The British Navy used to promote people to Admiral, but then assign them to the 'Yellow' squadron, which meant no real command.

Sorry.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
The British Navy used to promote people to Admiral, but then assign them to the 'Yellow' squadron, which meant no real command.

Sorry.
Right, because if the British did that, it has to be true for Star Trek and every other military navy as well.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand_of_Fate View Post
So Let me start by saying I'm completely against the Admiral rank for players (See my signature). Having every player in the game walking around as an Admiral eventually just seems silly to me.

That said, I'd find it slightly more believable if we were given multiple ships to command!

Think about it: We customize our ship and out Bridge Crew right? Well imagine if we now had multiple ships in a Fleet we controlled, and were able to customize and crew each of them and have them fight with us in battle (rather than just having 8 ships we can switch between and use one at a time, transfering our entire bridge crew with us).

My initial idea would be to give you a second ship you command as soon as you hit Rear Admiral, then add a ship every two levels.

This would add a lot more by way of end game to the game, in my opinion, and actually make the admiral rank mean something for a change. Just imagine the possibilities of having multiple ships to crew up, types to pick, load outs to decide to compliment other ships in the fleet etc.

It would add a lot of possibility, and a lot of time consuming fun (which equals people keeping subscriptions longer and $$ for Cryptic of course).

So, please consider this idea!
I'm fine with this so long as AI doesn't go down. I never liked the AI in ground combat; I always use the group rally button. Also, given how my officers stumble and get stuck enough times on the ground, I shudder to think what the multiple asteroids would do to them. The enemies get stuck often enough in space as it is.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx4th View Post
I'm fine with this so long as AI doesn't go down. I never liked the AI in ground combat; I always use the group rally button. Also, given how my officers stumble and get stuck enough times on the ground, I shudder to think what the multiple asteroids would do to them. The enemies get stuck often enough in space as it is.
actually the ship ai seems to be a bit better in places where i've been with an ai group of ships thing seemed to work well

and ya i have several ships i'm not using i want to use them all
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Begin a Star Fleet career as a Science officer so that when you do finally reach admiral, you get command of your very own fleet, once every 15mins.

Photonic Fleet ftw!
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNine
Don't get me started on that. Half the NPC's call me Rear Admiral.

http://download.lardlad.com/sounds/season5/thohd7.mp3
Better a junior Rear Admiral than a senior Captain. Besides, the pay is better...
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-05-2010, 11:56 AM
I read somewhere that once you hit admiral you get a passive ability

as long as you're below 50% health, every 30 seconds there's a dice roll to see if an AI ship warps in to help you. If a ship warps in it triggers a 1 hour cooldown on the ability.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-05-2010, 11:57 AM
I tried researching Rear Admiral on the web and so far I can't find an article that really says what they do.

Oh and according to our actual rank we are a lower Rear Admiral. An upper Rear Admiral has two stars to represent their rank.

It seems the Rear Admiral posting is very open and from what I was told by a poster in another thread there have been times they could be posted to command a ship.

I'm still of the opinion that we should be captains and not admirals.