Lt. Commander
# 1 Mission Idea: Empok Nor
03-05-2010, 11:09 AM
I would love to see a mission where you have to go to Empok Nor. (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Empok_Nor)

Empok nor, for those who forgot or did not watch DS9, is Deep Space Nine's twin station, abandoned long ago by the Cardassians. In truth, setting episodes at Empok Nor saved production costs because they used the same sets that were already built for Deep Space Nine.

We already have Deep Space Nine sets of our own, don't we? Why not set a mission on Empok Nor and use the design for the promenade, OPS, Quark's, etc?

It would be neat fighting off Cardassians or Dominion on the promenade. I would point out that while there is already a mission where you need to retake DS9, it does not use the promenade or OPS or Quark's sets.

Also, to make this mission a bit more interesting than a simple, "BEAM DOWN AND FIRE!" mission, why not slightly imitate the episode "Empok Nor" http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Empok_Nor_(episode)

I'd love to see my away team captured, one by one, and have to have a final showdown with the boss villian while all four of my bridge officers hang from the rafters (but, you know, alive).
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-05-2010, 11:18 AM
There is something I didn't like about Empok Nor though, It was always described as being on a slant. It is in space you could say Empok Nor was straight and Terok Nor was on a slant. Solar Systems should be slanted to each other (unlike straight like they are in STO)
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 128hoodmario View Post
There is something I didn't like about Empok Nor though, It was always described as being on a slant. It is in space you could say Empok Nor was straight and Terok Nor was on a slant. Solar Systems should be slanted to each other (unlike straight like they are in STO)
The idea behind this, I think, was that the station was abandoned and its internal stabilizers and gravity were all decaying and on the fritz. It didn't even have life support, instead I believe the visiting runabouts transferred energy into its systems or some such hooey.

So that slant is more an effect of walking around on a space station that can barely generate gravity, is adrift in space, etc.

If they used it in the game, I don't see the need for any slant, but I would love to see a darker Deep Space Nine with flicking static-filled monitors, broken doors, etc.

Also, one of these days they need to update the promenade map to include the infirmary and security office.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Is this a joke thread? There already is a mission where you get sent to Empok Nor. It doesn't use the areas you want it to, but its in game and has been since closed beta.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
Is this a joke thread? There already is a mission where you get sent to Empok Nor. It doesn't use the areas you want it to, but its in game and has been since closed beta.
There is?

Wow, I am sorry. I did not mean it as a joke, I just didn't know!

Well then...I guess...nevermind.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, just that you can't tell sometimes on the internet. Its either a level 37 or 38 (captain 7/8) mission I think.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, just that you can't tell sometimes on the internet. Its either a level 37 or 38 (captain 7/8) mission I think.
Yeah, I've been taking the slow road, on purpose, and not been reading all (some) of the spoilers about later mission stuff. I only JUST made Captain, etc. I had done the "retake Deep Space Nine" mission, loved it, and thought that Empok Nor would be a neat place to visit too.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-05-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm RA 5 and never got that missions.
Details would be appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulgor View Post
I'm RA 5 and never got that missions.
Details would be appreciated.
As far as I remember it's part of a chain you get from Captain Kurland personally. So not just hailing him but actually beaming on DS9, taking the turbolift to OPS and talking to him. It's mean, I know. I was a rear admiral 5 too when I found it out.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Presumably, there would be no Quark's bar on Empok Nor, unless Quark has a franchise. I guess a lot can happen in 30 years, especially if your brother is Nagus.

EB