Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
So... I've got a plain common alien BO chick I've styled to be a holographic clone of the Ilia probe from Star Trek 1, and I thought, "Hey, I just made commander, I'll upgrade her to an uncommon or rare BO instead. I can groom her up and have a tasty crewmember.

Til I go to the Exchange and see that gender isn't listed like it is with the BO requisitions officer.

So, stupidly on my part, I'd discharged the Ilia I had before I realized this. I figured, "Common sense, right? If I get to know what gender they are from the officer, I should see it SOMEWHERE in the description in the Exchange, yes?"

Silly me.

Anyway. I'm voting the Devs let us see what gender bridge officers are in The Exchange. Who's with me?

*Goes off to the crapshoot Exchange to try and winkle a femme out of it for my all-female crew.*
Lt. Commander
# 2 Agreed
03-05-2010, 11:57 AM
This is a good idea. It's part of the fun to design your bridge crew, make unique uniforms for them and give your ship a certain character.

Gender AND the level they are (uncommon, rare, etc.) Should be on the BO profile so you know what you purchased and can see which of your BO's are what.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Um, last I checked the gender IS is the name. ex: Alien Male Tactical Officer

As far as I know (in SB1) you can only buy common/uncommon (white/green) BO's.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by l33td00d View Post
Um, last I checked the gender IS is the name. ex: Alien Male Tactical Officer

As far as I know (in SB1) you can only buy common/uncommon (white/green) BO's.
Not in the exchange / auction house it isn't.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Bridge officers skills can be trained, so really the only things that matter are class, rarity, race, gender and traits. IMHO, all five of those components need to be searchable. I'd be fine with it if traits were trainable/changable and we could select gender upon commisioning an officer. Bit short of those things, they need to at least be sear has on the exchange. Traits are not searchable at present, which is a royals pain.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexusPrime
Bridge officers skills can be trained, so really the only things that matter are class, rarity, race, gender and traits. IMHO, all five of those components need to be searchable. I'd be fine with it if traits were trainable/changable and we could select gender upon commisioning an officer. Bit short of those things, they need to at least be sear has on the exchange. Traits are not searchable at present, which is a royals pain.
Indeed. But then the search engine in the Exchange is a bit hinky anyway. It can search one word, but apparently not two. So if I'm looking for a plasma sniper rifle in the rare range, I kinda have to put PLASMA in the search field, then choose the rank, rarity and have it search the specific subgenre of items, then sort through them for what I'm after with a lot of tooltippy craziness that could be mitigated if I could only just search for 'Plasma Sniper'

But it's much worse for searching viable candidates for a crew you're trying to put together. It's a bit stone age to have to individually look at every last candidate's skills popup one at a time very carefully. Most employers in the 20th century could cherry pick resumes from sites for that kind of thing by searching for individual qualifications. So the idea that it's more star trekky to have to review your candidates one by one for command line doesn't exactly wash. Searching for someone with a superior health & hit point stat, or specific skill to snag would make sense. Not getting who you can, then going to the skills trainer and wasting merit points to retrain them into the officer you want. That's just wasteful.

"No more, and no less."
-Captain Montaine 'Monty' Buchanan, Deep Space 3
Star Trek: Origins (Whom I voice. ^_^)
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-31-2010, 07:26 PM
BO Gender in the Exchange:

Yes they are and no they aren't.

If you search for COMMON BO's, gender is listed.

If you search for any other category, gender is NOT listed.

I just tried with orion, bajoran, klingon, and human.

Anybody else want to confirm this for me please? Maybe I have some advanced client ^_^.

Wierd, eh?
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-01-2010, 04:07 PM
The officers in your "pool" that you haven't commissioned frequently don't list the sex either. You don't see a picture of them and with some races it may not make a difference.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-01-2010, 05:55 PM
I agree fully that gender should be listed. I even tried guessing by the random name (if it ended in a vowel, for example) no luck :/
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvind View Post
I agree fully that gender should be listed. I even tried guessing by the random name (if it ended in a vowel, for example) no luck :/
Try searching for COMMON BO's?