Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
03-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallAxe
" First day of head start, STO burned out my perfectly fine 8800GTS video card 3 hours into playing it."

I lol'd so hard I pee'd myself a little bit.
Yea...I've got a crappy ATI 3200 and it seems to be just fine.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
03-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badonkee View Post
Many people came to this game as there was nothing out there new enough to try. STO looked like a new game that I could enjoy similar to POTBS, or COH. Now I wish I never tried it, you ask why? My friends talked me into it sure, but I still have fun playing it. Why am I quiting then?

I refuse to be part of the Drama;

1. First day of head start, STO burned out my perfectly fine 8800GTS video card 3 hours into playing it.

2. The tech support ticket was never responded to, and the forums blamed my case or the fact that I didn't put an after market cooling system on my card.

3. There are patches every couple days and I have no Idea why, or what changes they make till i find more bugs in game, like my mini map breaking in ground pvp.

4. 90 days free being offered to new players spells death in any language for a brand new game 4 weeks after release no less!!!

5. Forums being censored. Seriously that is very bad news, Cryptic should have known that so many ****ed off trekkies and lifetime supscription holders have nothing else to do but rant publically. They are ****ed off! And should be, they yell and scream because they have no other recourse.

6. Liking a game is not enough to keep paying to play it. MMOs have a responsibility to keep its customers happier than any other due to the subscription they pay. If you sense a problem, or your friends start quitting, get out before you Throw too much money away. That hard earned cash should go to a company you can trust to create the longevity in game play you expect from mmos played in the past.

7. Ive played so many mmos at lauch i won't list them, but if you have too, you'll notice several things that are unforgiveable:

a. Big name games comming out to dissapointing content.
b. Lack of kept promises lead to even worse things down the road.
c. How are the forums managed, censored.

So trekkies, here is your equivallant to Star Wars Galaxies. Congrats, you have more in common with star wars fans than you thought. I have no vested interest in this games success or failure, but I am sure everyone will agree with me in one respect;

We demand better from MMOs at launch, this is not another testing phase. We as a whole, want to know what to expect before we buy a game and do not like aspects pulled out from under us at release.
Point 1: Crap, my 8800 works fine. You're either overclocking or doing something stupid. There's NO ARGUMENT POSSIBLE THERE. Blaming the game for your system faults when other people with the same card have no issues = illogical.

Point 2: Also crap. See 1.

Point 3: Read the patch notes on the forums. If you can't be bothered to do that you must not really be interested? Most of the patching is small stuff anyway.

Point 4: They already canceled that, and that was Atari's stunt -- you're posting it here WHY? Try Atari.com

Point 5: People posting troll threads, cursing, making legal threats, and worst of all, making up completely illogical rage-quit threads is not unique to any MMO. I fail to see any point here, all MMO's trim this kind of crap posting because it's POINTLESS.

Point 6: If you are not happy take your money and your badly written posts elsewhere!

Point 7: You admit most MMO's are crap at launch and expect this one to be different?


So, in summary, you posted one complete fabrication, 4 logical fallicies, and 2 non-sequiteurs, and expect..what? A Dev to kiss your feet and apologize?

You *ARE* Being part of the drama and are the weakest link , goodbye.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
03-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badonkee View Post
1. First day of head start, STO burned out my perfectly fine 8800GTS video card 3 hours into playing it.
I'm calling shenanigans on this...

I have the exact same video card and the game runs perfectly fine with most settings on max..

If you have improper system cooling that's your fault, not the game's...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
03-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savnoka
Point 1: Crap, my 8800 works fine. You're either overclocking or doing something stupid. There's NO ARGUMENT POSSIBLE THERE. Blaming the game for your system faults when other people with the same card have no issues = illogical.

Point 2: Also crap. See 1.

Point 3: Read the patch notes on the forums. If you can't be bothered to do that you must not really be interested? Most of the patching is small stuff anyway.

Point 4: They already canceled that, and that was Atari's stunt -- you're posting it here WHY? Try Atari.com

Point 5: People posting troll threads, cursing, making legal threats, and worst of all, making up completely illogical rage-quit threads is not unique to any MMO. I fail to see any point here, all MMO's trim this kind of crap posting because it's POINTLESS.

Point 6: If you are not happy take your money and your badly written posts elsewhere!

Point 7: You admit most MMO's are crap at launch and expect this one to be different?


So, in summary, you posted one complete fabrication, 4 logical fallicies, and 2 non-sequiteurs, and expect..what? A Dev to kiss your feet and apologize?

You *ARE* Being part of the drama and are the weakest link , goodbye.
I agree with this post.

the patch notes are fairly well laid out, and a fairly standard thing for a new MMO.. complaining about frequent patching is like complaining that you have to breath
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
03-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Meh. Having gone through my share of MMO launches as well, the growing pains STO is going through is nothing new.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
03-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savnoka
Point 1: Crap, my 8800 works fine. You're either overclocking or doing something stupid. There's NO ARGUMENT POSSIBLE THERE. Blaming the game for your system faults when other people with the same card have no issues = illogical.

Point 2: Also crap. See 1.

Point 3: Read the patch notes on the forums. If you can't be bothered to do that you must not really be interested? Most of the patching is small stuff anyway.

Point 4: They already canceled that, and that was Atari's stunt -- you're posting it here WHY? Try Atari.com

Point 5: People posting troll threads, cursing, making legal threats, and worst of all, making up completely illogical rage-quit threads is not unique to any MMO. I fail to see any point here, all MMO's trim this kind of crap posting because it's POINTLESS.

Point 6: If you are not happy take your money and your badly written posts elsewhere!

Point 7: You admit most MMO's are crap at launch and expect this one to be different?


So, in summary, you posted one complete fabrication, 4 logical fallicies, and 2 non-sequiteurs, and expect..what? A Dev to kiss your feet and apologize?

You *ARE* Being part of the drama and are the weakest link , goodbye.
I have dual Geforce 9800GT's Bridged, and STO hasn't caused any problems for me, nor any other game for that matter. You know you have to pull those cards out every so often and clean them by hand to keep the cards cool. Having the right fans in your PC blowing in and the ones blowing out in the correct positions is also very important. System maintenance on a monthly bases really can help your PC last a real long time.

The rest of the statements above are great, I just wanted to add to number one.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
03-05-2010, 01:29 PM
I would like to address the issue of forum censorship. I have been highly critical of the direction STO has gone, the things I believe it lacks, and I have gone so far as to call it a simple game with a Star Trek skin, but cefrtainly not a Star Trek MMO. However I have never been censored or received an infraction because, although probably close, I have not so far as I am aware breached the forum guidelines.

I do not believe they censor opinions they do not like, but combative and argumentative posts and posters who continually ignore proper etiquette and forum guidelines will see this happen. I thought it necessary to speak to his, despite my dissapointment in the direction the game has gone.

*sips her plomeek and sits back down*
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
03-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeEnigma
I would like to address the issue of forum censorship. I have been highly critical of the direction STO has gone, the things I believe it lacks, and I have gone so far as to call it a simple game with a Star Trek skin, but cefrtainly not a Star Trek MMO. However I have never been censored or received an infraction because, although probably close, I have not so far as I am aware breached the forum guidelines.

I do not believe they censor opinions they do not like, but combative and argumentative posts and posters who continually ignore proper etiquette and forum guidelines will see this happen. I thought it necessary to speak to his, despite my dissapointment in the direction the game has gone.

*sips her plomeek and sits back down*
Perhaps it is how (you) a person present the opinion. I have seen a lot of opinions presented in the IFFY category, as a forum moderator myself on other forums I would not have hesitated to can the post because of the way it was written. A lot of people here feel just because they are stating something and using IMO it's OK to go right ahead and say anything they want and that is just not true.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
03-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badonkee View Post
Many people came to this game as there was nothing out there new enough to try.
It is interesting the way you wrote that and the choice of words...

You did not say.."new enough to Play", instead you said "New enough to Try"...

This maybe the fault of the Industry, that has alienated its own target audience in being very cautious in approaching games without a clear urge to play them by exposing that audience to disappointment after disappointment...or is it?

I think it is lots more complex than that it is a darn vicious circle in its quest to capitalize on MMO;'s the industry over the years has tried to change many things, but at the same time they have also changed the expectations of their target audience which at the same time define the next strategy trend of the industry.

It is insane....

On the other hand..you also mentioned "new"...well..this is the fault of the audience..as it does not have to be new to be Fun....if you set as an expectation to the Industry that you will only play something new then the Industry will launch games that are good for 2 months and will not invest in to developing a game further for launch ...

You see...they are a business..they cannot afford to lose Millions because you decided that you did not like their product when you "gave it a try"...so they make games with a 2-3 year devellopment Cycle, and launch them with the bare minimum of core features, and they wait to see if your Trial...is positive or negative..and take it from there.

So really...stop making demands of the industry..it does not depend only upon them it depends upon their customers...meaning YOU (us)...as customers we have the last word to decide whether we open our wallets or not to pay for a product...the product depends on that decision.

And the truth is that no matter how flamboyant expensive and shiny your product is there will always be people that do not like it.

Instead of making demands, i suggest that you help them provide you the level of service that you want by paying your subscription and expressing your Ideas and wants for improvements in constructive ways, so that then the companies that provide the service of entertainment to you can invest your subscription and have the time necessary to develop your expectation for production.

The perfect game at launch...does not exist..it is an illusion.. you will never find it at launch of any game in the future, you will have to wait 6 to 12 months post launch to get what you wanted for launch..and then another couple of years to get the additional content that enriches the game to maturity.

An MMO is not a solo game that you play for 30 hours worth of entertainment and 6 months down the line it is considered "old"...it cannot afford to function like that. An old MMo is UO and EQ...10 years+ Running...a Mature MMO is WoW...and EVE, 4-6 years Running... anything less than 3 years is a New MMO.

Get up to speed or get out of playing MMO's.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
03-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badonkee View Post
So trekkies, here is your equivallant to Star Wars Galaxies. Congrats, you have more in common with star wars fans than you thought. I have no vested interest in this games success or failure, but I am sure everyone will agree with me in one respect;

We demand better from MMOs at launch, this is not another testing phase. We as a whole, want to know what to expect before we buy a game and do not like aspects pulled out from under us at release.
Just wondering when you were elected the voice of Trekkies everywhere? I gave up my Trekkie membership the day they rebooted the franchise, so perhaps i missed it.

Every MMO has trouble at launch, and every single game that has ever been released has cut content they originally planned to include for one reason or another. Its just a fact of life in the games industry. And i looked into exactly what i was buying and ive played MMO's at launch before, so while you didnt know what to expect, i and many others did. It's been a long, long time since i blindly bought a product because it had Star Trek on the front.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:05 AM.