Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
Hi

I must admit I still don't understand the ground combat controls and would appreciate some help (a link, an explanation, etc)

My problem is when I have a target selected, The turn keys (a, d) become strafe, or front-back movement... at random. sometimes "w" becomes left and sometimes it remains "forward", etc.

Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-05-2010, 01:25 PM
i cant tell u why, but i can tell you how to make it go away - click off the target by pointing at something on screen you can't select and click. If that still doesn't work - sometimes it hasn't for me - click on another target after the first step. That should solve it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-05-2010, 01:45 PM
My directional arrows often make me dive in directions I am not pushing, and the A D S W are half of the time completely out of whack in combat. The targeting is pretty weak also, it can randomly change the direction you are facing without even wanting to do so. Add all of that with the marrionette like motions and how clumsy the ground game is, it gets a whopping 3 out of 10 from me(3 for being Star Trek, should be more but...Clumsy.). I am hopeful that as this grows it will become a serious MMO with a good ground combat system. Space is nice, so it should only get better. Truthfully, I find it really doesn't matter much on how you set your keys in the ground game, be as exact as you want and work the timing of each special attack perfectly and you will have the same outcome as if you were button mashing to heavy metal music. That's how I see the ground game, nothing impressive, have a good medic and it is cake. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefx73 View Post
...at random. sometimes "w" becomes left and sometimes it remains "forward", etc.

Thanks
That is strange and has never happened to me. However I have never changed any key maps either.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraeth View Post
The targeting is pretty weak also, it can randomly change the direction you are facing without even wanting to do so.
That is pretty frustrating. I have often had to endure several flanking shots because the game changed my facing in the middle of combat.

In Space Combat, I set the controls to 'Free Movement' so that the camera didnt suddenly switch to whatever target I happened to have locked. In ground there doesnt seem to be any way to accomplish that.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawLessOne View Post
That is strange and has never happened to me. However I have never changed any key maps either.
I haven't changed my key maps either. w is forward, q is strafe left, a is turn left, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGarrett
i cant tell u why, but i can tell you how to make it go away - click off the target by pointing at something on screen you can't select and click. If that still doesn't work - sometimes it hasn't for me - click on another target after the first step. That should solve it.
Yeah, un-selecting a target gets you back in "normal" mode.

I'm trying to figure out how to understand how to move when a target is selected.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefx73 View Post
Yeah, un-selecting a target gets you back in "normal" mode.

I'm trying to figure out how to understand how to move when a target is selected.
please let us know if you figure that out because this is the biggest complaint I have about ground combat. I will admit it could use a lot of work in many areas but getting spun around and having the movement keys do totally whacked out things drives me nuts.

and to add to a comment made above, you can also get out of this mode by hitting <esc> as well as clicking somewhere on your screen to reset targeting. basically anything to set your target to nothing. not a great work around but better than continuing to get flanked because you can't get turned around to face the way you want.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-05-2010, 04:08 PM
yup, same issue, as is being discussed here....

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=131636
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Yeah it's kinda buggy. I don't know if there's an option to turn off the strafing when you have a target locked or not.