Lt. Commander
# 31
03-05-2010, 08:49 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How long did it take you to reach Rear Admiral 5?, do you have multiple Rear Admirals or are presently levelling an alt?

Still at Lieutenant 8, and like some others, taking my sweet time, sometimes playing each mission and then logging off right before the end goal, so that I can enjoy the missions a few times before proceeding.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you enjoy the journey to Rear Admiral 5?, what was the high points and low points?

I'm loving it! High points: ship combat and ground missions are great, love 'em. The low points: the exchange is a mess (no way to order the search results, no expiration on ridiculous listings), alien starbases whose interiors look suspiciously like Memory Alpha.

Do you currently part-take in regular PvP, Fleet actions or Raidisodes? If so, what are you views on them? What do you think could be improved, and what issues need to be addressed?

Not interested in PvP, and am okay with Fleet actions, and intend to someday do raidisodes. I don't like fleet actions because of the ranked looting system. Higher level players get great drops, but players to the level of the mission get batteries. Should be the other way around, no?

Do you prefer space combat or ground combat? If so, why? What makes that particular style of combat a better player experience for you over the other?

They're different experiences; I love the graphics and sounds of the space combat, but I like the roleplay aspect of playing with my away team... I don't really prefer one over the other, I'm just glad they're both there.

Pick one current issue in-game effects you the most, what changes do you think would benefit the game overall and why?

(Should read "affects", not "effects.") I think that making all systems accessible at any time would open the game up a great deal. Redoing the ranks so that RA5 isn't reached as quickly would be good as well. The sheer number of players who have already reached Admiral are the reason why I'm going as slowly as I am... I want to enjoy this experience for as long as possible.

Do you think since launch, Star Trek Online has lived up to your expectations? Do you think you will still be playing in six months time?

It has to me, but then I'm a casual gamer, and a huge Trek fan. I think that the storyline missions are the most fun, because they do indeed tell a story. I think I'll be playing in 6 months, though probably not every night as I do now.

What future changes would you like to see the most in Star Trek Online?

Open all systems, fill the C-store.

Finally, what was the last MMo you played before joining Star Trek Online, why did you quit the last MMo and join this community?

WoW. It was, for lack of a better term, TOO immersive and involved. And expensive. The short missions (patrols, etc.) let me play for my half-hour daily allotment and then log off. Great for hardcore Trek fans who are casual gamers.
[/quote]
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-06-2010, 01:47 AM
How long did it take you to reach Rear Admiral 5?, do you have multiple Rear Admirals or are presently levelling an alt?

app 4 weeks and I am not a power player

Did you enjoy the journey to Rear Admiral 5?, what was the high points and low points?
Great were the promotions, new ships, brifge officers - complete new configuration of everything )

Do you currently part-take in regular PvP, Fleet actions or Raidisodes? If so, what are you views on them? What do you think could be improved, and what issues need to be addressed?

I made Infected two times..
1st with my Noob group 4 hours and then we quited in the queens room
2nd run was about 30min

good if you dont read how to solve those missions - its really fun to find the solution on your own
I loved the time-stress whenever I would like more clear rules. "You have 1 min to get to the next forcefield or so..."

Do you prefer space combat or ground combat? If so, why? What makes that particular style of combat a better player experience for you over the other?

Both styles and the combination is one of the greatest advancements in the MMO games. I love the combination

Pick one current issue in-game effects you the most, what changes do you think would benefit the game overall and why?

Much more character skilling - there should nt be 2 similar characters in STO

Do you think since launch, Star Trek Online has lived up to your expectations? Do you think you will still be playing in six months time?
yes - and no because the content is not enough

much more storylines - more maps/dungeons (see wow complexity)

Finally, what was the last MMo you played before joining Star Trek Online, why did you quit the last MMo and join this community?

wow from lvl65 it was boring, eve online 5 Mio skill points - too complicated/too less action for me, Fallen Earth to less technology
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-06-2010, 02:44 AM
Ok I'll bite. I'd point out that your questions are skewed towards people who got to RA5 already, which according to Cryptic is roughly 5-10% of the playerbase; that dramatically alters the likely feedback pool.

Currently at Commander. I intend to level a Klingon alt as soon as they add some PvE.

Still currently enjoying said journey. The high points are that it's Star Trek and it actually feels like a good community with the number of people around. The low points would be that mission content can be repetitive or contrary (e.g. 'lets shoot these guys yet again' or 'we don't normally invade or conduct pre-emptive strikes, but that's what you're going to be doing all day').

Mostly Fleet Actions, with some War Zones thrown in. Teaming up and group chat in general needs looking at. It's all very well to have open teams, but the contrast between a typical mission and the wild melee that is group play is stark. My experience has varied dramatically, from people who can team up, listen, and who support each other, to people who don't listen and have no clue how to support, or even the skills necessary to do so.

Organised teams in PvP are of course good; hopefully more of this concept will bubble through the game's community over time.

Space; ground still feels clunky and a little disorganised. Star Trek spends most of its time in space, and so it feels fairly natural to be doing stuff in space. The space areas are generally done well and feel 'spacey'. On the ground, we seem to have the same collection of plastic rocks that the Original Series & TNG had on their sets; I've yet to see a single urban environment for all these populated planets; even the tutorial was better for that!

NPC AI - both friends and enemies are getting stuck, and aren't that bright, and given the heavy NPC content, this alone would help boost the sensation of difficulty and reduce frustration.

I had very low expectations for STO (I expected it to be total rubbish) so I was pleasantly surprised. Barring either total boredom or a dramatic change to the game that I feel makes the game less fun to play, I think I'll still be here.

More different PvE content. Star Trek isn't about just shooting stuff.

For the Federation it's about solving problems, diplomacy, spreading the influence of the Federation, and helping others. We're spending too much time in the game as it stands being the galaxy's very heavily armed policeman. Just as a thought to throw out, some minigames e.g. curing a planet's plague via interacting components and some join-the-dots Mass Effect style mini-games could add some optional relief. I'd love to take a turbolift down to my medical bay and assist my CMO with a bunch of lab stuff, or my chief engineer with finding a solution to why some star is outputting too much radiation (that's a hint about ship internals too ) With enough variety and thought, it wouldn't get too repetitive interspersed with shooting things.

For the Klingons, it's mostly about shooting stuff, but there is so much depth to the Klingon way of life; matters of honor, rebel houses, rebel Gorn, house allegiances, and so on. I can only hope the PvE content coming actually considers any of that instead of just going 'look, more Federation and Romulans to shoot'.

EVE and who said anything about quitting? I find the two games are starkly different both in terms of time demand and playstyle.
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-06-2010, 03:18 AM

Around 90 hours, now on an alt that ive done about 15 or 16 hours on

Yeah i did enjoy it, best bit was the story missions and the fleet actions. some early pvp was fun. Low points where the exploration missions as they started well but got boring. Crafting is also poor in this game and i never had any fun with that.

i do like fleet actions and i want to do more pvp but its broken at the moment. either not enough people are when you finally get into it, the match is so one sided its no fun. would love form of open pvp to be added. also want plenty more fleet actions for end game

i like both but space is better. i think its just a visual thing as flying round space firing phasers and watching ships explode is visually more interesting than ground combat.

non combat missions. there need to be more and more complex that the one currently there.

[yes and no. when i head what they were planning to do i was excited, yet alot of it has not appeared in game at the moment, and the pvp was no where near what they said it would be. on the other hand ive enjoyed the game and the story episodes are better than i expected them to be. space combat is better than i thought too. the game needs work but as long as they keep adding to it, in a year or two it should meet or exceed my expectations

more factions, a wider variety of end game content. more pvp missions, more fleet actions, better crafting, more seasons of story content. plenty of non combat missions

warhammer. got bored of the end game as its just the same pvp over and over again. even though it was fun, it could do with some more maps to spice it up. but then again i get bored quickly and like to rotate the mmo's that i play.

Lt. Commander
# 35
03-06-2010, 04:10 AM

About three and a half weeks of real time, I can't say my exact playtime in game right now. Aside from one level 10 Klingon, no alts at present, will explain why in my next answer.

It was Amusing and at times fun. High points usually revolved around taking a new ship out of Earth Spacedock for the first time. Most definitive high point was getting my runabout and circling around DS9 watching ships come and go.

Low point was my time in Headstart and the first week after launch. Not because of anything in game, but because having had done those missions a week or so earlier in Beta I found I had next to no interest to do them again. I still cannot bring myself to face those Missions with an alt which is why I have not started a serious one yet.

Limited PvP action, largely just early putzing around on my Klingon. Never was a fan of PvP in any game really so not a positive or negative for me.

Participated in the Fleet actions that were functional at the time they were assigned and honestly I am ambivalent about them. Largely unremarkable. while teamwork is needed and occurs largely silently its haphazard. I remember dieing several times to Klingon Dreadnoughts in the hectic fight in the Fleet Action at Laurentis, impossible to plan or heal unless part of an organized group.

Have not gotten into raidisodes yet.

I prefer Space Combat by leaps and Bounds over Ground Combat. Space Combat allows for me to play to strength of my role, in my main's case a Cruiser. The options and tactics are clear cut and I know what I am doing and how to do it. Ground Combat as a Tactical Officer is tedious and boring to me. With little to no control over the away team, they fire Expose attacks seemingly at random and delight to do so immediately after I have used my Exploit attack. Powers on the ground feel weak and relatively useless coupled with having to hand hold officers to get them to follow has just made me view the whole thing as extremely frustrating.

A total lack of immersion, I largely attribute this to the game being almost needle drop quiet. While Combat/Utility sounds and background music work and work well the total lack of any other voice other than Leonard Nimoy's few and too far between VO's really reminds me how empty the game is. Having even just a rotating 4-5 lines of simple dialog for our BO's and contacts would really help.

I would also like to see something that allows unlocked customization as we proceed in rank. Such as displaying medals or unlocking rank specific uniforms for our captains. The uniform selection is pretty good but its the same one we had to start with, variety as we rank up would be nice.

I have other suggestions but those would probably require a completely new game

My expectations for the quality of the game dropped with the launch of CO and all the corresponding bad press that received. It is about what I expected except in one area, far less social but that is more on us as a community and myself as a player than on the game makers.

I think I will be taking a month or two off then coming back and seeing where the game is and doing that cycle every few months.

I listed two earlier, but I would absolutely love to see more detail and functionality put into our Ships and BO's. Such as Designating a First Officer, which would allow us to put a special pip or mark on their uniform (just to tie it back into my previous idea of added uniform customization). And directly Customizable ship interiors and assigned stations to our Officers.

I have played and am still playing WoW, more active in that since hitting RA 5 two weeks ago, partially why I have yet to get to the Raidisode. I played SWG back in 03-04, CoH in 05. I came to STO largely because I am a fan of Star Trek and I wanted to try a new game setting and style from what I have had.

Lt. Commander
# 36
03-06-2010, 04:44 AM

Currently Cm9 - Been playing since Headstart.

Can only play an hour or so a day (sometimes not that, so taking my time)

Have half enjoyed my journey so far - some of the content is fantastic and really immersive, some is just plain repetative and frankly rubbish (EG beam down to planet, find and scan 5 glowy objects, beam back, rinse, repeat - whoever authorised that idea as a time/space/XP filler should be take out back and given a sharp talking to)

Have tried PvP, but currently think it's a bit pointless - prefer PvP to have a goal (EG gain stuff for my 'side' sort of thing EG Feds control this bit of the neutral zone..... Until the Klinks take it back)

Generally prefer space combat.
Would massively prefer to be able to fly my ship from the bridge.

Ground combat is finicky, controlling the away team - they need better 'set and forget' tactics

I have to say the unashamed instancing really breaks the immersive nature of the game for me.
It is far too fragmented and broken up into too many sections
EG - listening to background Zone chatter, which ceases the instant I move into planetary orbit, or move to a different sector.
A general increase in the numbers of people in each instance would be great (for me, around the 100/200 mark rather than the 20/50 would make more sense)
Being able to activate cross sector zone chat woul d be beneficial.

I have to say the other issue that really bugs me is lack of mission content when levelling - I generally find that at each level, the missions available run out when I'm at about 70-80% through the level, meaning I have to finish each leveloff with some of the repeatable cr*p... which is currently imho cr*p.

No - it has massively underdelivered - I think it 'could' deliver, but I really think it needed at least another 12 months, possibly 24 development.

I'm a life subscriber, so I will still be here - whether I'm playing and enjoying will depend on whether or not they develop it to a much better standard (I really don't believe they have yet)

More levelling mission content, better 'hiding' of the instancing, endgame PvP (go look at ****), endgame PvE, social / community enhancements.

The game is very good (actually, it's excellant). I didn't quit to join this community, I quit due to a the game requiring more time than I had to invest - My toons still exist and I may go back one day if it's still around (it's lasted 7 years so far, so it might last a bit longer).
Lt. Commander
# 37 Feed Back Wall
03-06-2010, 05:34 AM

Not very long, in the beginning yes because I was and am still preoccupied with real life issues (education mainly) but I rushed it in the end. I suppose I can say that it was not nearly as long as the other grind-fests that I have been to.

Being a Starfleet Command fan I did not take issue at the space battles so much, even though they can get repetitive. And fighting human players has opened a door or two that has made up for the the repetition. The ground missions could use alot more work, they do grind out a lot, and they can really make you grit your teeth, (More specifically I am looking at you Fire Caves, you were the very very worst of any mission I have ever had to do. )

Upon reaching RA I rolled a Klingon and regularly converse with other Klingon players, which have shown that this game does have surprising depth in the PVP realm. They talk about things you never think about as a PVE fed ship-wise. Fleet actions can be fun, I did like the CE, I was in a group that downed it twice in a row in under 20 minutes. While being able to pug is handy, as long as future raidisodes and Fleet actions remain open to pugs, I would say allow players to create fleet only instances. The CE really requires more co-ordination then the general populace seems able to handle. And try to put in a difficulty slider, if possible, while at first it seems tough, the CE is actually a push over, and nerfing it would be a bit too much.

They could improve both. They should look at EVE for some inspiration, while having Big ships and the like is nice, in open space and territorial battles they could allow the deployment of eventual experimental ships and stations that can be destroyed and taken over. also they could introduce ways of increasing variety and the range of tactics, by allowing smaller previous teir vessels to get refits, and alterations to help them fill certain roles (it would help inject variety into the games fleets), you could even turn a Miranda into a high speed Sensor Jammer, through this idea and still make it effective along with pvp. Also allow full 360 "true space" movement as the corkscrew that is done to go up and down is very very annoying and it cheapens the experience.

Ground is fun, it could also use an overhaul though, as with the ground AI, and for those that want to discover more then shoot, you could look at games like Myst, and Uru, for inspiration. With the proper time, and commitment, you could practically turn every planet you have now, and every planet you will ever make, into a massive scale game and/or expansion pack. You have a universe in your hands, you could be more ambitious then maxis was with spore, and actually eventually succeed. I would like to remind Cryptic that they have something that could last for a very long time without getting stale. Remember that please.

Content, and to fix that, you need to add more of it, and fix that which needs it, that is already there. Other then that, umm, please fix ground AI thank you.

it was a pretty stable launch, that is the surest observation, and on a technical note, aside from server outages, yes it was technically smooth. But Atari and Cryptic have made moves that have endangered the game with some very bad PR juju.

More Content, and I want my Romulans please (Romulans are my favorite race), and if not the complete faction then at least ones purchasable from the C-Store. That and Cardassians. And take into account the power of the universe and what you could do game-play-wise with each and every Celestial Body in this universe.

I played WoW and War, War was okay, but i lost the time to be able to play due to studies, WoW started out good, but the endgame demanded too much, in terms of time and patience with your fellow man (if at that point you could really refer to them as such), and I was on a very bad server at the time (silvermoon), where guilds you join topple because of officer drama, and people you meet seem more fitting for the grill of your car then a spot on your friends list. Being locked out of story encounters because you did not have the good graces to be the doormat of some basement dwelling fat-arse Cartman clone, and his rediculous guild which overlooks you all the time because they farm instances with better equipped (as in veteran of said instance complete with complete sets of purple) group thus wearing on the patience of others still waiting for a chance at something that may or may not drop and content they may or may not see, was a point of extreme contention, both me and my friends were treated like we were working at something like being a Walmart-grade-doormat, the raid leader yelling as if it were serious business threatening to kick people and the like. Heroics are something people want to get over with rather then something that is fun, and then the six hour straight encounters, i remember (oh and you may or may not have to fill out some silly and retarded guild applications that looks like it is straight off of the counter of some fast food restaurant) and I am keenly reminded of this even after I try to tell myself it is just a game.

At least in EVE it is expected, while WoW says it caters to the time limited and then hits you in the face with a brick wall blocking content. In EVE you and other players created the stories (and you advanced your character offline and online alike), in WoW you just watched the forums and read about smug elitist pro-guild rofl-pwning the instance on the dimes of you and the rest of the 83 percent that do not get to see the endgame ( which I will bet caused an exodus, and the prompt changes in Wrath that they like to whine about). So yea I am here now, and am a Lifetimer, so with the absence of monthly fees I can afford a bit more patience and it really does feel like a weight has been lifted from your shoulders.

Lt. Commander
# 38
03-06-2010, 05:51 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-06-2010, 06:20 AM

Not yet, but I'm Captain 4. I will probably make admiral this weekend since I can play more hours. My alt is a fed comm 4 I guess. I started that one and dropped it for a Klingon.

Unfortunately, with the lack of content on the Klingon side, I would have to say no. It is not an enjoyable trip. PVP is fine, but there is no variation. The Empire defense missions are incredibly long and tedious, and there is no variation there either. All spawns are the same on all spots. Star spot has 2 frigates, you have an escort 19km behind you, to the right is a bship, then go up for a group of fighters, and 2 groups with frigates... God... I know if by memory.

Lack of Klingon content is a real killer. No fleet actions, no exploration, no CE, no episodes (that one is fine, we knew that one), no sector defense, no patrol missions, no away team missions, just 5 sectors to visit... Really... It's quite bad.

PVP... And it's not like I have any other choice. But, I have to say PVP is actually quite fun. I like the options you have with BOs, you can mix/match powers so you can have the ship you want. I wanted a support ship, a healer/tank, so I have extend shields, RSP, sci/tac teams, hazard emitters, and just a bunch of turrets. I like it and it fits me perfectly, so PVP is fun with it.

What can be improved? I really hate any game with abilities that remove control from the player. Abilities like VM and subnuclonic beam. Those are really unnecessary. I do not mind dying, go down fighting. I do mind dying without a chance to fight back. Just sitting there, all my buttons grayed out, and just watching my hull go down. Yes, I do have sci team, and know how to use it. But back to back VMs are simply too much.

Never remove control of your character from the player. Invent some other mechanic. That mechanic SUCKS.

Space combat all the way. There are just too many options, and so configurable (see previous answer), so you can get the ship exactly as you want it. Very nice. ground combat is okish, if you use a Bat'leth. With that, it's quite dynamic and fun. If you use beams... Boring, and lacks depth.

Gound PVP is dowright boring. It just looks like a cheap FPS. I can load unreal tournament, or any other nice FPS if I wanted that kind of action.

Lack of content. Whenever you get to a point where you have nothing to do, then you begin to wonder why you are playing this game. The game must have tons more content, and all kinds. Just adding "raids" from now on will not cut it. Some people do not like that. Add more PVP fine, but some people do not like PVP either. Cryptic MUST add more contents to all parts of the game, and LOTS of it. And they better get moving pronto. Do not leave people dry, add content all over the place.

I do not think it quite meets my expectations. I expected it to have more content, especially on the Klingon side. Klingon side was just supposed to be missing storyline missions, which was fine. But they ended up lacking so much more. Quite disappointing. Can it be fixed? sure! I think the game can meet all expectations. But the longer it takes, the worse it will be

Autofire and to reiterate the last answers, more contents. All kinds. So much content we come in and we have to think "damn, so much to do, what should I do today?". That's the kind of game we need.

Also, more social options. Keep the solo content as well, but more incentives to group up. Make it easier to group up.

Autogrouping in PVP. If you are not in a premade group, you should be grouped up with others. Much easier, and other games do it. Works quite well.

Last MMO is WoW. I have not quit it though, I do not need to. I can pay 2-3 MMOs just fine. I've also played EVE for 2 years (that one I did quit. More a job than a game). Those games have so much stuff to do, and are very, very social. The worlds feel alive.

Give more content to STO, give it more life. And the game will succeed.

Lt. Commander
# 40
03-06-2010, 06:23 AM

I pretty much lost interest in the game as I hit RA3. It took me around 40 hours to reach RA1. I had approximately four days according to /played, but that included the considerable time I spent idle while talking on IRC or Skype.

I enjoyed some parts of the journey to RA. I enjoyed getting new ships and gearing them out. I found most of the content to be very repetitive. I feel that there's really only one mission type for 45 levels: Kill (or click) 4-8 objects.

Fleet Actions became rather boring because Escorts usually placed in the top spots and received the best loot. It was more beneficial to do exploration missions.

I really did enjoy most aspects of space combat. I really miss having full 3-D flight and the ability to crew with other players. That's one of the things that SWG actually got right about space combat/flight that I feel is missing from STO. Ground combat is boring. I prefer to either run past the enemies or let the boffs distract them while I go click on the objective.

The skillcap is my biggest issue right now. I bought the game because the skill system was advertised as being completely open. I would probably still be playing right now and likely would have kept my lifetime subscription, because gaining skillpoints would give me something meaningful to do.

I've logged in once in the last week, I think. So, no, STO hasn't lived up to my expectations. I expected a game without a skillcap and I thought the Genesis system was going to be far more interesting than generating kill/click five X missions.

Respecs. Expand the Genesis system. Spice up the content. We've been killing 10 rats since DIKU and LPMUD. Social environments would also be nice. I spent hours upon hours socializing at taverns/cantinas in SWG... the social atmosphere extended the life of the game.

SWG. I stopped playing SWG before I even knew about STO. I stopped playing SWG because I was made redundant and didn't want to keep paying the sub fee. I'm giving some thought to re-subbing to SWG now that I've canceled STO. I joined STO because I really want to play an MMO that felt like Star Trek. This doesn't.