Lt. Commander
# 41
03-06-2010, 07:37 AM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How long did it take you to reach Rear Admiral 5?, do you have multiple Rear Admirals or are presently levelling an alt?

3 weeks and a Kling at Lt Cmdr 7

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you enjoy the journey to Rear Admiral 5?, what was the high points and low points?

Overall, no. The combat is too linear and simplistic. There are no playermade choices. The content is too repetative and not original. It is derivative of the shows and has little originality. The Undine arc is a blatant copy-paste job of the Changeling story from DS 9.

Do you currently part-take in regular PvP, Fleet actions or Raidisodes? If so, what are you views on them? What do you think could be improved, and what issues need to be addressed?

I did a fair amount of PvP. It is terrible. The maps are tiny and uninteresting. In a modern MMO this simplistic and shallow implimentation of pvp is not acceptable.

Do you prefer space combat or ground combat? If so, why? What makes that particular style of combat a better player experience for you over the other?

Space combat is excellent. The ground combat is terrible. The camera goes crazy if you bump into an object or if one of your braindead teamate AI members bumps you. The weapons are far too weak, it doesn't feel like a phaser, it feels like a water gun. There are no tactics beyond mash the 1 key over and over until the 2 key lights up. Once yoiu make RA 5 you get a few buffs/heals/debuffs from your kit but it does little to add to any tactical complexity. Oh and you and the enemy can fire through walls.

Pick one current issue in-game effects you the most, what changes do you think would benefit the game overall and why?

More non-combat content and GOOD content, not F-key dribble.

Do you think since launch, Star Trek Online has lived up to your expectations? Do you think you will still be playing in six months time?

Not even close. I doubt it. I already canceled.

What future changes would you like to see the most in Star Trek Online?

Fix all the bugs. Add meaningful and complex content. Fix the overpowered Klings and make PvP meaningful rather than a silly, shallow deathmatch race to RA 5 just to /cancel. Remove the skill cap or add a FREE ingame respec. Add some variation to the existing content, I am sick of finding 5 enemy ships at the exact same 5 asteriods. The game is too easy, you cannot loose and their is no death penalty.

Finally, what was the last MMo you played before joining Star Trek Online, why did you quit the last MMo and join this community?

The last MMO I paid for was Age of Conan. It is head and shoulders better than this game. I am currently playing it.

See my review in my sig for more details.
Lt. Commander
# 42
03-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonphase View Post
I had an idea to just simply list everyone's points and views on the game in a civilized fashion, see what people like about the game, see what people dislike. See if we can give Cryptic enough player feedback in the hopes of making improvements to the game, after all - we play the game, we pay for the game. Why shouldn't we have some feedback in the hopes we can make the game better for everyone.

How long did it take you to reach Rear Admiral 5?, do you have multiple Rear Admirals or are presently levelling an alt?

[Space reserved for answer]

Did you enjoy the journey to Rear Admiral 5?, what was the high points and low points?

Do you currently part-take in regular PvP, Fleet actions or Raidisodes? If so, what are you views on them? What do you think could be improved, and what issues need to be addressed?

Do you prefer space combat or ground combat? If so, why? What makes that particular style of combat a better player experience for you over the other?

Pick one current issue in-game effects you the most, what changes do you think would benefit the game overall and why?

Do you think since launch, Star Trek Online has lived up to your expectations? Do you think you will still be playing in six months time?

Finally, what was the last MMo you played before joining Star Trek Online, why did you quit the last MMo and join this community?

It would take me too long to answer all of this. My short answer is this:

Love the game, not at all disappointed, subbed for 6 months, can't wait for furture content.
Lt. Commander
# 43
03-06-2010, 05:48 PM

It took me 150 hours from head start through March 4th to make RA5. I have one RA, a LT9, and a LTC2 Klingon.

I did enjoy the journey to RA5. The high points? I’m not sure if there were any real high points. It was all pretty consistent and pleasurable. The low point is the rail style progression. There are no branches. This would be fine if STO was a sandbox game, but it is not.

I like the PvP but getting into a PvP mission seems to take longer than it should. I understand there may be a lack of availability of players interested in PvP at any given time. However, it seems there is some trouble getting people hooked up to do PvP, like something is not connecting in the system. I like the idea of the fleet actions. The raidisodes are pretty nifty. I’m not a raider but I do like the raidisode formulation thus far (that would be only one at this time)

I prefer space over ground because the space seems more developed. If ground was tweaked and made more challenging I might like it more than I do. Don’t get me wrong, I like the idea of the ground stuff. It is a very good start, but it needs a bit more.

I guess this would depend on what is defined as an issue. An issue I have is that I cannot “sidekick” with lower or higher level friends’ avatars. I want to be able to group with any one of any level to do anything.

My expectations have not been met but they have also been met at the same time. The way in which they have not been met is in the absence of sandbox. I had expected to be able to actually craft, not enhance items. Not only that I had expected noncombat focused classes, among them crafters and diplomats. I really think Cryptic made a HUGE mistake in not having sandbox play and not having classes focused on something other than combat as a primary vocation.

My expectations have been met in the fact that Cryptic has developed a phenomenal framework on which they can build to meet me expectations. What is there in STO is actually really good as a start. It is begging to be improved upon. Good job with that, guys! I hope that was the plan from the start

The addition of noncombat classes. Specifically dedicated crafting, harvesting, mining, and marketing commerce oriented vocations. Additionally, a noncombat “diplomat” class needs to be developed. You can ask me directly about that diplomat class and its vocations through email, if you like. I hope you will. I do not want to publish it here on the forums.

I would like to see actual station and ground based player housing that can be designed and decorated by players.

I would like the ability to have fleets establish stations and planetary outposts in the explorable space sectors.

I would like to see the exploration aspect of the game fleshed out better.

I would like to have the ability to sidekick ah la Champions Online.

I would like a pony! One with a horn and wings that smells like cotton candy! (not really but it seemed appropriate to mention given the length and nature of my list of “would like to see” stuff)

Instead of mentioning the last MMORPG I have played I will submit the number I have played over the last 15 years. That Number is around 40. I will also mention in conjunction with that number that I am a graduate student In an English Studies New Media program who’s graduate work focuses on MMORPG narrative and ludemic construction. The reason I have played so many is because of that research interest. I know my stuff, really.

Again, I implore you, if you are really interested in what I think of STO and where I can see it going, contact me. I spend a LOT of time thinking and working with MMORPG concepts. I see a few obvious directions STO can go. The bit I have mentioned here is personal preference, more than anything else, and is not representational of my total observation of STO

Lt. Commander
# 44
03-06-2010, 06:07 PM

Haven't got there yet. Still Lt. Cmdr 7 but enjoying the journey to get there.

See above. High points are all the Trek references, ease of game play and fun value of the game. Low points are monotonous patrol missions and DSE.

I will never do PvP. I hate the whole idea of it. Thought to be fair because of no death penalty it isn't so bad in this game when it does happen.

Fleet Actions (I assume you mean warping into a system, and joining up with who is there) are fine. I enjoy that.

Space combat is great. It is just about right on control and difficulty. Having the ability to actually just move up and down rather than spiral would be nice though.

Ground combat is awful. It is boring and takes too long to drop anyone. I get bored easily here.

There needs to be more continous missions other than patrols and go encounter 3 DSE's. More missions across all levels of the game are a must IMO.

So far, yes. There are always areas that need to be improved but I fully expect to be here in six months time. Hopefully playing Romulan, Cardassian and Dominion factions too.

* More missions across all levels.
* Add Romulan, Cardassian, Ferengi, Dominion, and Kazon factions.
* Expand the Gamma and Delta Quadrants into the game.
* NO death penalty, or at least make it optional for each player if there has to be one in the game.
* More ships for each faction.
* Allow players to collect all ships for their faction and choose between them.
* More uniform and alien appearance options (cthulhu face tentacles would be cool).
* Expand the maximum level.
* Remove any skill point caps.
* Onboard ship missions (holodeck adventures?).
* Being able to wander around your starship.
* Diplomacy missions that actually require some kind of in-game roleplaying.
* More interaction with NPC's.

EVE Online, which I played for about a year. I quit it because I hated the travel times, being killed by other players for no reason other than they thought it funny (and thus suffered unnesecary death penalties), boring missions/mining/cargo runs... *yawn*
Lt. Commander
# 45
03-06-2010, 07:13 PM

N/A .. I am commander 4

Highpoint: forming a fleet of 50-60 very excited players strong in the first few days of the game
Lowpoint: watching that fleet devolve into a handful of players who login maybe 2 or 3 times a week for an hour or two per session

I partake in fleet actions.. If you can get a good PUG they are fun. I'd prefer to do them with my fleet and my friends, however lack of interest in the game has killed my fleet, and ridiculous instance mechanics (everything is a PUG) makes it doing it with my friends impossible, since we're always tossed in with (up to 20) randoms who run off in all directions firing wildly

I think I am one of the minority who enjoy both equally. I think they are both genuinely fun.

Instance Management: things like, running fleet actions with a closed group, repeating episodic content on varying difficulty levels, having *more* in some instances, like missions to do on Vulcan, Andoria, etc.. Beyond that, more content, and more VARIED content is what this game is missing the most.

It has not lived up to my expectations at all. I was very dissappointed that this is such a simplistic game. coming from Wow, EVE and SWG, I expected more.. Yes those were 7 years old, however, at launch they undeniably had more depth to them.

I think I will still be playing in 6 months, probably at the same rate I do not (for a few hours a week) .. I think Cryptic genuinely does want to deliver more content, and varied content and will hit the ground running over the next 6 months. However, I dislike that this game is always going to appeal to the 'lowest common denominator / we wouldn't want to upset anyone with a marginally difficult to grasp game mechanic', which means it will never be more than a casual MMO to me.. I grew up playing simulators such as IL-2, MS Flight Sim, Silent Hunter, Dangerous Waters, and prefer a game that has some measure of complexity to it.. STO has none. .. However it does scratch my 'space cowboy' itch, so I will continue to play it (and I'm already locked into a lifetime sub... If I wasn't, I would consider dropping it, as though fun, it's not 15 dollars a month fun)

More instance options (see above), an opt-in open world PVP system, fleet space stations and just more DEPTH and complexity overall.. SWG and EVE were fun because you had to figure stuff out.. STO hands you everything on a plastic spoon.

I don't 'quit' games.. I get bored of them, shelf them, and go back to them if i find myself remembering having fun playing them..

MMO's I have 'left' are WoW and EVE, simply because I played them to death.

MMO's I currently play are SWG (re-activated after 4 years away.. having lots of fun) Allods online (yay for spaceships with player crews!) DDO (instancing options done right) and Earth and Beyond (the grandpappy of all space MMO's, brought back from the dead) .. Since all of those are free with the exception of SWG, I just kinda jump around between them from day to day.. I can't stand playing the same game day in and day out, even if it means it will take me a year to hit cap