Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Federation Samurai and Katanas
03-05-2010, 07:41 PM
FROM: Captain Alexander Yamato, U.S.S. Tempest NCC-100509, currently assigned to Deep Space Station K-7
TO: Starfleet Procurement Office, Starfleet Headquarters, San Francisco, Earth
SUBJECT: Federation Samurai and Katanas

Greetings,

I am sending this message because I find myself unable to obtain a weapon that I have trained in since I was very young.

My adoptive father, retired Starfleet Captain Haruma Yamato, is from a long line of Japanese Samurai who have maintained their customs and traditions throughout the ages, so it is only natural that he passed said customs and traditions down to me.

As you probably know from the history books, the weapon of choice for Samurai is a sword known as a Katana, and my father instructed me in the use of this weapon.

However, in the time that I have spent in Starfleet, I have not been able to obtain a Katana for my own personal use. I have not even found a simple Ceremonial Katana which I could wear in order to display my heritage. This is a situation which I believe should be rectified.

So, I am hereby requesting that Starfleet Procurement obtain some Katanas to make available, so that Modern Samurai such as myself can show our heritage and fight using the weapon that has become the symbol of the Samurai.

Sincerely,

Captain Alexander "Alex" Yamato
U.S.S. Tempest NCC-100509
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
03-05-2010, 08:02 PM
(( The only swords in the shows were rapiers, broadswords, and fencing foils--sans the new movie which isn't considered canon as far as I remember. It might have been added as canon, I dunno.

Understandably all weapons should be considered canon even if it wasn't in the shows/movies reguardless... I'm just offering a plausable reason as to why they might not be in the game right now.

Just because they're obsolete does not mean someone would still use it--even if only for cerimonial uses.

Speaking of weapons, it would be sweet if I could requisition a Barrett Model 82A1 with BORS Optics for my officers. The .50 BMG M33 Ball rounds should ignore personal shields and kill in one shot.

The RP reply might be something like this:
Unfortunately due to the war effort against the Klingon Empire all of Starfleet's resourses are being used to commission as many ships as possible. Because of this, all metals are on a strict ration to accomodate Starfleet's immediate needs.

Best of luck in your request. ))
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
03-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamato
As you probably know from the history books, the weapon of choice for Samurai is a sword known as a Katana, and my father instructed me in the use of this weapon.
Your history book is wrong then. The katana was an important part of their honour and tradition, seeing as they considered it to be invested with their soul, never let it leave their side, and fought duels with it, but it was a secondary weapon the moment the Monguls turned up and wrecked their s*** because they performed actual warfare instead of what was essentially a grand ritual duelling contest between individual opponents. The weapon of choice for Samurai was their yumi, along with polearms or spears, mainly because they weren't morons and wised up immediately after a huge hurricane made sure they wouldn't come down with a bad case of 'brutally conquered' before they could catch on. It wasn't a difficult choice; the ones hanging doggedly onto the katana as a primary weapon ended up dead. Until the Edo period, when they just got shot by peasant levies instead.

Besides, if someone thought using a bat'leth was impractical in a gunfight, it'll be even more ridiculous when someone brings a katana to the field and promptly gets demolished by the bat'leth.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
03-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorak View Post
Besides, if someone thought using a bat'leth was impractical in a gunfight, it'll be even more ridiculous when someone brings a katana to the field and promptly gets demolished by the bat'leth.
Actually, the bat'leth is a horribly impractical weapon. Try using one in a real fight, then come back and tell me how many digits you've chopped off. :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
03-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daevan
Actually, the bat'leth is a horribly impractical weapon. Try using one in a real fight, then come back and tell me how many digits you've chopped off. :p
It's not horribly impractical. It's got a few useless points to make it look scary, but if you're so inept you're cutting your own fingers off, especially considering the grip is behind the blade which isn't sharp on the side towards your hand, then I would hesitate to trust you with a butter knife.

For a real fight, it would be very useful against a single sword like a katana. Worthless if the enemy has got almost anything else, yes, but against a sword it makes defense p*** easy, lets you move far into their guard and remove all space for them to operate their own weapon, and has a degree of intuitive versatility that makes immediate counterattack, yet again, hilariously easy.

The thing is a weird, ******* mix of polearm and quarterstaff. Chuck away the twirly nonsense the martial artist who designed it made for the screen, and it can be quite vicious if tremendously lacking in offensive options and range against any weapon that it can't bully back. Personally, I'd make with the poleaxe if I were going to get medieval on a battlefield.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
03-05-2010, 09:12 PM
What's that ancient Earth saying about bringing a knife to a gun fight?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
03-05-2010, 09:12 PM
/feddie pulls out katana
/cardie pulls out disruptor
/feddie rushes cardie
/cardie fires
/feddie dissapears
/technologyofwarfail
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
03-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorak View Post
It's not horribly impractical. It's got a few useless points to make it look scary, but if you're so inept you're cutting your own fingers off, especially considering the grip is behind the blade which isn't sharp on the side towards your hand, then I would hesitate to trust you with a butter knife.

For a real fight, it would be very useful against a single sword like a katana. Worthless if the enemy has got almost anything else, yes, but against a sword it makes defense p*** easy, lets you move far into their guard and remove all space for them to operate their own weapon, and has a degree of intuitive versatility that makes immediate counterattack, yet again, hilariously easy.

The thing is a weird, ******* mix of polearm and quarterstaff. Chuck away the twirly nonsense the martial artist who designed it made for the screen, and it can be quite vicious if tremendously lacking in offensive options and range against any weapon that it can't bully back. Personally, I'd make with the poleaxe if I were going to get medieval on a battlefield.
It's bulky, unwieldy and, although I've never handled one, it looks horribly unbalanced. I'm not the best swordsman here- the few times I've fenced, my strategy consisted of 'stab fleshy with pointy'- but I know a little about weapons.

As for the 'remove all space for them to operate their own weapon' part, try that against any experienced swordsman. Chances are, they'll know how to create space.

The lack of offensive options is exactly why I would not choose a bat'leth in any serious fight. Give me a more versatile weapon, like the quarterstaff or any polearm. Battles aren't won with pure defense. Eventually, you'll have to go on the offensive, and practically any weapon is better suited for offense than the bat'leth. It's a fancy movie prop, that's about it.


On a side note... You ever notice how we tend to hijack threads with our philosophical rambling? I don't mind, makes things interesting, but I may have to name you my new archnemesis.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
03-05-2010, 09:27 PM
I for one hope that they will add Federation melee weapons and a Katana is at the top of my list along with the Lirpa and the Ushaan-tor.

EDIT: It seems that all 3 of those were just confirmed to be in development by the devs in the new ask cryptic. Can't wait.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
03-06-2010, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
I for one hope that they will add Federation melee weapons and a Katana is at the top of my list along with the Lirpa and the Ushaan-tor.

EDIT: It seems that all 3 of those were just confirmed to be in development by the devs in the new ask cryptic. Can't wait.
Awesome! I can't wait to get my hands on Katanas and Lirpas
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:56 PM.