Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
/feddie pulls out katana
/cardie pulls out disruptor
/feddie rushes cardie
/cardie fires
/feddie dissapears
/technologyofwarfail
You Sir, just made me spit out my Kanar upon my Keyboard. Now I must go find a Bajoran slave to clean up this mess...
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-06-2010, 12:12 AM
if I wanted to use a sword I'd play a fantasy mmo, this is star trek, give us freakin laser guns
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-06-2010, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon269 View Post
if I wanted to use a sword I'd play a fantasy mmo, this is star trek, give us freakin laser guns
We already have "freakin laser guns." We also have the traditional Klingon melee weapon. Now we're going to have traditional Andorian, Vulcan, and Human melee weapons. I fail to see the 'non-trek' problem in this. If you don't like them, just don't use them.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-06-2010, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintar07 View Post
We already have "freakin laser guns." We also have the traditional Klingon melee weapon. Now we're going to have traditional Andorian, Vulcan, and Human melee weapons. I fail to see the 'non-trek' problem in this. If you don't like them, just don't use them.
Actually no laser guns... We have phasers, disruptors, tetryon etc... But no actual lasers. :p
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-06-2010, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
Actually no laser guns... We have phasers, disruptors, tetryon etc... But no actual lasers. :p
That's why I put it in quotes I don't think the guy I was replying to is a big fan...
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintar07 View Post
That's why I put it in quotes I don't think the guy I was replying to is a big fan...
Back off lady... Chat just woke and is just on her first mug of chocolate... Need 4-5 more before anything will register. :p
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-06-2010, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
Back off lady... Chat just woke and is just on her first mug of chocolate... Need 4-5 more before anything will register. :p
Lady? I'm not a lady. I hate you now.

Lt. Commander
# 18
03-06-2010, 03:59 AM
Agreed...much rather have a human sword.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-06-2010, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daevan
It's bulky, unwieldy and, although I've never handled one, it looks horribly unbalanced. I'm not the best swordsman here- the few times I've fenced, my strategy consisted of 'stab fleshy with pointy'- but I know a little about weapons.
How, exactly, does it look unbalanced? I'm not sure you even know what you mean. It's held like a quarterstaff and doesn't exactly throw out weight on long lever points does it.

Quote:
As for the 'remove all space for them to operate their own weapon' part, try that against any experienced swordsman. Chances are, they'll know how to create space.
You can hold your own with any weapon by giving ground. Considering this response, I'm closer to patting you on the head and smiling kindly than anything else, since having to constantly fall backwards or attempt to move around an opponent who can defend so easily as they can with a bat'leth isn't a winning proposition. For starters, as soon as the battlefield gets constricted, you get f***ed, and it takes great concentration and skill to maintain such a strategy. With a katana the situation gets worse; it is totally devoid of versatility. It's basically a Japanese scimitar, slashing on a single edge is all you've got, and trying to stab someone with it isn't all you'd hoped it would be.

The simple fact is that your response boils down to, "chances are, you'll be a far, far better combatant", which renders the idea meaningless and isn't anything close to the kind of thing you'll have wanted to hear just before a Klingon turns aside your sword and stabs you in the chest with one movement. A good swordsman has good footwork....and indea which goes both ways, you can be closed down more easily than you can run.

Quote:
The lack of offensive options is exactly why I would not choose a bat'leth in any serious fight. Give me a more versatile weapon, like the quarterstaff or any polearm. Battles aren't won with pure defense. Eventually, you'll have to go on the offensive, and practically any weapon is better suited for offense than the bat'leth. It's a fancy movie prop, that's about it.
Like I said, against a single sword, yes it is effective, and against a single sword, yes it does have options. And I even mentioned that personally I don't rate its chances so highly against other more solid weapons, with my personal choice in pretty much every situation being a poleaxe.

You have no idea how well designed the bat'leth really is thematically, and it does work. It sits neatly in its own niche with advantages and disadvantages, but people decrying it tend to have payed too much attention to the screen portrayals instead of giving it a fair assessment out of some arrogant sense that we've already thought of everything. The martial artist who designed it was quite inspired with this thing, he created something totally unique yet actually functional in a way that hasn't ever been considered before, while also being entirely characterful for Klingons, since it's a weapon that demands exactly what a Klingon will give; bold, uncompromising aggression.

Last note; the bat'leth doesn't make too much sense outside of its 'modern' Trek setting. It claims these are ancient weapons, which must mean that Klingons never used full harness to protect themselves. It would be as utterly useless as a katana (and most other swords) against such armour, but unlike the Japanese the Klingons don't have the excuse of only having access to small amounts of the worst iron on the face of the planet. This made metal armours impossible for the Japanese and ended up placing so much emphasis on their sword, which was so monumentally expensive and difficult to make merely to be the same quality as its contemporaries, that they came to revere it ritually just to justify the damn thing. The Klingons have no excuse, which leads one to consider the idea that their ancient armies would have gotten a mighty shock if transplanted onto Earth, where they would promptly be massacred with arrows and heavy infantry.....
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-06-2010, 05:06 AM
FROM: Captain Michael Steegen, Starfleet Procurement Office, Starfleet Headquarters, San Francisco, Earth
TO: Captain Alexander Yamato, U.S.S. Tempest NCC-100509, currently assigned to Deep Space Station K-7
SUBJECT: Federation Samurai and Katanas

Captain,

Your request for non-standard personal sidearms has been forwarded to the Offices of Starfleet Security and Research & Development for further review. Once your request has been processed, you will need to submit a Form 9011-A Weapons Requisition, a Form 2-D-199 Security Training Request, and a Form WE-0977 Weapons Qualification, to this office, with copies to the Office of Starfleet Security, Office of Personnel Management, and the Department of Personnel Training. Each of these will need to be authorized by yourself, and your Commanding Officer, Deep Space Station K7, whom I believe is Cmdr. Wildman.

Unofficially, Alex, how's the family? Haven't seen you since that shore leave on Risa, boy that was a great time! And by the way, what are you doing bringing a knife to a gunfight?

Regards,

Michael Steegen, Cpt.