Lt. Commander
# 1 Cannons need some love
03-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Have Cryptic said when they're going to replace the place-holder effects for cannons?

They are place-holders, right?

Beams look and sound good, torpedoes the same. All the abilities I've seen have decent effects. But with cannons, we get a little pew... pew... pew... noise, accompanied by three pixels that fade to nothingness within about a second. I'll admit that I'm only at Lt.Com., so maybe they improve with tier. But somehow I doubt it...

Remember when we first saw the Defiant open up with its BFGs? The collective jaw-dropping and sense of "oh heck, yes!" ? Yeah.

pew... pew... pew...
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-05-2010, 08:54 PM
That's part of why I use Dual Heavy Cannons. More impressive looking graphic flying at my target.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Kinda want to see the pulse cannon effect u see on the defiant in ds9.
Lt. Commander
# 4 yea
03-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurrican View Post
Kinda want to see the pulse cannon effect u see on the defiant in ds9.
I'd love to see that animation and sound!!! I'd also like to see a closer representation of each cannon type from the show.

Phaser - Defiant
Disruptor - pick a klingon ship, but most notable was BoP
Plasma - Don't recall every seeing this, as in TNG, Romulans went to disruptors
Tetryon - ????
Polaron - I have to say, this reminds me of the Brine energy dampener weapon in DS9
Antiproton - ????

I know there was mention of compressed tetryon weapons in TNG (the episode that Piccard dies, and meets Q, Worf mentions that's what hit him, if I recall correctly)

I know most of us, when the defiant was listed as ship, were REALLY wanting to do that pew pew of the defiant, cus it looked like a withering hail of hate!!!
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Wait until your bridge officers get rapid fire. Right now the game is at its most fun for me because I captain a Defiant class with two slots of rapid fire, so I'm constantly laying down the law with DS9-style cannon action.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-06-2010, 04:38 PM
I've got rapid fire - all I get is a bigger number of 3-pixel dots that still dissapear after a second.

That said, watching some gameplay videos on youtube suggests that my assumption was wrong. The effects do improve as you progress, but by damage type. Second-"level" types like plasma look a little better, and by the time you get to tetryon, there's all sorts of graphical stuff going on. I guess I can see what they were thinking, but the problem is the original damage types are still in use, even at max level.

So, I will revise my original statement: Phaser and disruptor cannons need some love!
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-18-2010, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
I've got rapid fire - all I get is a bigger number of 3-pixel dots that still dissapear after a second.

That said, watching some gameplay videos on youtube suggests that my assumption was wrong. The effects do improve as you progress, but by damage type. Second-"level" types like plasma look a little better, and by the time you get to tetryon, there's all sorts of graphical stuff going on. I guess I can see what they were thinking, but the problem is the original damage types are still in use, even at max level.

So, I will revise my original statement: Phaser and disruptor cannons need some love!
Phaser and Disruptor I'll take any day. They got "love". Disruptor on CRF sound aweome laying down hellfire with great sound. What NEEDs some love is Polaron. Man, what am I doing here? Am I spurting purple bletch at my enemy? I even zoomed into my ship to get a closer listen and it sounds really stupid. It reminds me of some purple goo bletching from right out of Ghost Busters or something. Color and graphic looks good, I mean it's beautiful to watch, but the sound? Ugh! I may switch to something else just because of that stupid bletching sound like I stepped in a puddle.