Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
First of everyone should know ALL the weapon types do the same DPS, they just have difference proc effects and look different, and the later ones cost more skill points.

Disruptor: 2.5% Chance to debuff damage resistance to the hull by 10%
The debuff does not stack. Also the debuff only affect the Hull, and not shields. This was lately confirmed by my own testing, and corroborated later on the STO board.
The down side on this weapon type is that later on things die really quickly after the shields are down... so the hull debuff for 10% more dmg doesn't do all that much.
The plus side is that each rank cost 300 skill points, 9 ranks = 2700 which is not bad

Phaser: 2.5% Chance to disable a random subsystem
Arguably the only proc that actually can make a measurable difference in a fight. It can shut down an enemies weapons, shields, aux, or engines. You probably won't notice the aux, or engines as much maybe even the weapons, but it is extremely obvious when you open fire on a ship the shields just blink away and you drop a high yield torp or beam overload into the hull and kill a ship in a forth of the time it regularly takes.
The chance of that happening are pretty low though. Another positive is the cost per rank is the same as disruptors
Each rank cost 300 skill points, 9 ranks = 2700

From this point on you should realize that by design ALL of the other weapon types will cost more skill points, but do the exact same DPS. The ONLY difference is what the proc does. That makes it hard for me to spend points on the higher tier weapon types til that is fixed.

Plasma: 2.5% Chance to proc a fire based DoT
The dot seems like it would be an obvious increase in damage, but from what I understand the dot does not stack...
Also the dot from what I can tell is pretty much negated if the target has a live crew.
Each rank cost 400 skill points, 9 ranks = 3600

Tetryon: 2.5% Chance to proc 80 points of damage to shields
Does more damage no matter what your group composite is, for as long as the target has shields. For the most part everything seems to die pretty fast once the shields are gone. There are no "hull tankers" that I know of, so that is another good thing about this one. The proc is fairly weak though 80 points at 2.5% is nothing later on sadly. Cosmetically I think this one looks the best.
Each rank cost 400 skill points, 9 ranks = 3600

Polaron: 2.5% Chance to drain power from all subsystems by 25
Just drops the power levels, I am not sure for how long... I never really notice it when against NPCs that use polaron weapons, but a couple of procs should make a difference. If you get a ship's shield power level to zero some how that would drop the shields. The fact that the skill is on the last tier means it is something I can't put points into. You only get so many ranks and weapon performance is a higher dps skill and if I have disruptors or phasers it will stack nicely when specced into.
Each rank cost 500 skill points, 9 ranks = 4500

Anti-Proton: 2.5% Chance to bypass shields
This is terrible, right now the "omega" items... meaning the items from the vendor that cost the marks you get for doing the RA daily that is the "omega fleet" are bugged.
From my own testing the additional crit chance, and crit severity do nothing. A dev has posted crit stats in general are bugged right now... basically it is a giant waste.
Also the bypass proc is only mildly useful. The damage that bypasses the shields means the shields are still up the other 97.5% of the shots. So it basically delays your ability to get the shields down so you can actually kill it.
The only time I can think of that this weapon type would be useful is for 1 shotting fighters instead of 2 or 3 shotting them if it happen to bypass the shields on the first hit. Also like polaron it cost the most skill points, and is in the last tier
Each rank cost 500 skill points, 9 ranks = 4500
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-06-2010, 12:36 PM
I think maybe most weapons should be 300 points per skill point.(it would require a rearrangement of the Skill tree).

I agree with the fact that none of the Procs Stack, and I agree that all weapons should be doing same damage.

I find that you downplay a bit the Procs from the weapons that cost more than 300 points thought. Maybe because what really bothers you is that they do same damage, but that is as it should be.

As for Anti-Protons, what is the duration of the Proc? maybe it is not in the tool tip but if it is like the others then 10 seconds of Bypassing the shields can be considerable.

You are missing to take under account the durations of the Procs here.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-06-2010, 02:13 PM
antiproton isn't a proc that gives a debuff that allows you to bypass shields for X amount of time.
And I don't have a problem with the weapons doing the same dps... What should be fixed is the different cost per rank for weapons that do the same dps.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryum View Post

Disruptor: 2.5% Chance to debuff damage resistance to the hull by 10%
The debuff does not stack. So if anyone in your group uses disruptor weapon you are cancelling out theirs or they are cancelling out your weapon effect. Also the debuff only affect the Hull, and not shields. This was lately confirmed by my own testing, and corroborated later on the STO board.
The down side on this weapon type is that later on things die really quickly after the shields are down... so the hull debuff for 10% more dmg doesn't do all that much.
The plus side is that each rank cost 300 skill points, 9 ranks = 2700 which is not bad
Bolded part is false. That would be true if it had a 100% uptime from each player, but as it is, each player using disruptors simply increases the uptime of the resistance debuff. Disruptors are clearly the best choice for any sort of group damage dealing action.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-06-2010, 09:14 PM
fair enough took out that line, but the fact is 10% more dmg JUST on the hull... not that great. Very far from "clearly the best choice".
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-07-2010, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryum View Post
fair enough took out that line, but the fact is 10% more dmg JUST on the hull... not that great. Very far from "clearly the best choice".
It's 10% more damage for every ship attacking that target. That's a pretty substantial increase.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Yes, but that's like 10% off of 5 seconds.
- Kitkun
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zauvryn View Post
It's 10% more damage for every ship attacking that target. That's a pretty substantial increase.
its all overkill. 10% does not make the difference between killing someone and them living.

I actually specc'd into antiprotons tonight (and yes, I don't regret it). They all score such high crit hits that its just insane (6k-10k range).
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-27-2010, 12:22 AM
With how fast things are dying now I doubt a hull debuff is coming into play at all anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-27-2010, 10:02 AM
None of the weapon effects have ever mattered against those equal level PvE targets that die in a single volley. In high level PvE content, you're likely to run into boss situations, where multiple ships are attempting to kill a single boss enemy (who will likely be alive for more than "a few seconds"). It's these situations in which weapon effects actually make a difference, and the disruptor debuff continues to shine.