Lt. Commander
Quote:
Rienen: Many Klingon players are concerned about the lack of purpose in the current PVP system and what it means to the future of the Empire. Are there any plans to provide a more meaningful PVP system, such as "Open PvP" zones or capturable systems/planets/starbases that would then provide faction bonuses and rewards for holding?

I don't think it would be likely that we will ever allow the Klingons to invade Earth Space Doc as a random open world event. PvP in STO will always be consensual.
Sad. I just had to let my voice be heard on this one, even if its a drop in the ocean of forum posts. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying STO (especially later levels), but this would just be awesome ^ nth* power.

I could just see this working out really well and being LOADS of fun. It doesn't have to be implemented within the current system, but could be a whole different server-ish system. Also, the system could reset once a month, or be contained within certain areas (Neutral Zones in essence). I would even be willing to pay an extra $5-10/month to use this service because I know it would be a pain in the rear to accomplish, maintain, etc.

Just sayin.

* n > 1 ---- ;-)
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-06-2010, 05:52 AM
Shameless bump.........
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-06-2010, 05:56 AM
Shameless huzzah.........
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-06-2010, 05:59 AM
If it was implemented as an entirely other server, then I think it would be a good thing. But not on my server.

I used to play EVE. I hated getting ganked and was told that If I didn't like it, that I should go find a game where there isn't open, unconsentual PvP. I feel that it would not be right to pull the rug out from under those of us who are here BECAUSE there is concentual PvP zones we can ignore.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-06-2010, 06:04 AM
GreatMaker69: Will Cryptic ever have more PVP events like the one at the end of Open Beta?

We have plans for a bunch of new PvP maps and even some PvP events down the line. There are lots of new PvP features, and new space and ground games planned. A persistent territory game is being worked on, but a release date has not yet been determined. We plan on supporting PvP gameplay on a regular basis.

Could be what you are looking for, you never know.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-06-2010, 06:05 AM
Yah I'd like to see an Open PVP area too, maybe like a gigantic instance inside a nebula where everyone is red to each other, aka free for all. It would only be that instance and instances like it, you could get 1 mark of honor for every ship you destroy or something along those lines. It would still be consensual because only people who want to PvP would even go in there in the first place...
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-06-2010, 06:12 AM
I never PVP and I hate non consensual PVP, yet I believe an open persistent PVP area would be good for STO. I think it would be a smart move from Cryptic because PVPers (as RPers) tend to create their own content if you give them a chance (diplomacy, betrayals, alliances, etc.). Such a setting would give a reason to play the game longer, pay their sub and help make the game better in the long run.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-06-2010, 06:13 AM
It could be fun, but not at Earth. You'd have a bunch of Generals constantly making life hell for all the noobs who are only trying to find Sulu.

Also, the instancing would cause a lot of headaches I'm sure.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-06-2010, 06:17 AM
i had a problem with this question as he did not answer it at all. whats the point of asking questions if they are going to sidestep it.

open pvp does not mean the entire galaxy has to become pvp. my main experience with open pvp is warhammer. whilst you can technically attack anyone at any time, the person you are attacking has to flag themselves for pvp. also enemy cities and towns will be defended by high level npc characters that can kill anything. the main pvp happens in the rvr lakes. these are areas that you do not have to enter but once you do your flagged for pvp. these can change hands and have multiple objectives to capture or defend.

there is no harm in adding systems that can change ownership from fed to klingon, or that can hold large numbers of people as long as people who dont want to do it are not forced to go there so it wont affect them.
i think when people think of open pvp they think of eve and it puts them off but it does not have to be as hardcore as that.

there is of course the issue of making it fair as usually one side outnumbers the other, so you might end up with dozens of feds against one klingon. so even if they make it it may have to be a cross between open pvp and instanced zones so it does not just turn into one sides zerging the other.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-06-2010, 06:21 AM
At the end of the beta there was a similar event. They allowed the Klings into Sirius Sector Block. It turned into a spawn-camp fest. It was not fun. They would need to totally revamp their map/zone structure in order for open world pvp to have a chance in STO.