Lt. Commander
Due to a fleet members account being hacked, we had a subsequent theft from the fleet bank.

In trying to get any information to confirm this (as the fleet leader), from cryptic support, i was only met with the standard reply of, due to privacy rules, you will never know if any actions will be taken.

So basically i have a member who was hacked, but i cannot confirm this in any way except take his word for it.

Is it too much to ask, to at least include a policy where the fleet leader, has the possibility of being informed on this, as it concerns not only the account, but also the person and his social standing.

let's say your car was seen at a bank robbery. You reported it stolen afterwards. No evidence to anything was proven after that. Sure you would never be proven guilty, but you would never be proven innocent either...

The same way it goes here, even though we are giving full benefit of the doubt, some people will certainly still mistrust this person, no matter what i say and do, unless i have final proof.

so i implore you cryptic, please change your rules so we can actually have fair ongoings. Even though this is only digital world, it's a very social world, where long lasting friendships can be formed or broken.
And this policy of total silence, is going to break friendships. And we don't want that. And i'm guessing you don't want that.

please show your support, so we can get cryptic to instate a more fair policy for all.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-05-2010, 01:34 PM
ask for screenshots of the email trail of him getting his account back if he really did get hacked, which would exist because when you do get hacked the hackers change your pw so you can't get in.

also incidentally, this is the very first time i've heard of anyone getting hacked in STO.

it wouldn't suprise me if this is the first of many, but don't trust someone just because they say they got hacked. it's the oldest coverup in the mmo book.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-05-2010, 01:38 PM
I understand what you are saying, but I don't want other people to know what I have/had in my bank or anyother info about me.
Like you said, this it's in a digital world, while unfortunate, stuff like this happens...Those things can can be replaced and that member may need to be demoted since they can not keep their information private.
If they were truly hacked, wouldn't they lose more than just what was in their vault and in the fleet vault, like the real money in their real life bank account?
I am not trying to be harsh, just expressing this is the internet, anyone can be anything, say anything and get away with a lot.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Basically Cryptic is handling this correctly. You as a fleet leader have no right to gain access to anyone's information in anyway or form.

Your fleet member however can provide you with the e-mails from Cryptic if there are any.

This is why in so many games guild leaders are warned to be very careful who has access to the banks.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-05-2010, 01:51 PM
so cryptic would be breaking privacy laws, by stating, fleet member account has indeed been hacked or not hacked?

that would put no personal information out about you, but would help me know if you were to be kept in the fleet or not.

it's a basic simple question, hacked, yes or no... that's all that's needed

edit : and yes, i do know how i can handle it with the member, but i'm just trying to get something done here, so that in the future, one shouldn't have to resort to either webcams or ingame screenshots or anything like that...
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-05-2010, 01:56 PM
I am not a techy, but how does a company know if someone entered the actual password as the owner of the account, or it was hacked?

Its not a rhetorical question, but they may not be able to tell accurately enough.

Good luck either way, but this is standard MO for gaming companies in any type of CS situation. Many times the owner of the account does not even get a clear cut answer.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-05-2010, 01:56 PM
and do note, i don't mind losing the stuff from the bank..

what i do mind, is the stigma, it's going to leave on the members reputation... especially if the only reply he's getting from cryptic is, here you go, you got your account back... which is what i would guess they do when they reset the account.

do you think they would write him, and say, so we have investigated your account, and it was indeed hacked? never would they do that. At most they would say we are investigating this, and further actions will not be disclosed to you. Your password has been reset, good luck.

that's not proof of innocence, that's not proof of guilt... that means that the question, did he do it himself, will always hang around, and i cannot live with that. I will not accept that.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4
I am not a techy, but how does a company know if someone entered the actual password as the owner of the account, or it was hacked?

Its not a rhetorical question, but they may not be able to tell accurately enough.

Good luck either way, but this is standard MO for gaming companies in any type of CS situation. Many times the owner of the account does not even get a clear cut answer.
well in this case, you just compare the ip at the time of the hack, to the normal login ip...

easy as pie...
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-05-2010, 02:09 PM
the person in question might of had a keylogger on his system. If he ever buys gold then 9 times out of 10 there is a keylogger. So they can steal the stuff back when they need to. sounds like you Fleet bank was the bonus for them,

Plus the person in question might be a gold farmer him self.

Have you even talked to the person with voice chat or even. Seen him in real life?
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-05-2010, 02:46 PM
There's really no way Cryptic can know if an account has truly been hacked or not.

For me, it doesn't really matter if the account was hacked or not. Either way, the "hacked" player is untrustworthy and should not be allowed access to your fleet bank.