Lt. Commander
# 21
03-06-2010, 09:40 AM
They love instances, so instance it. Have a PvP toggle that each player can set and have it work like the enemy contacts in sector space (you flagged, they flagged, it's on) or just have code that says if your flagged and you go into a system your put into a instance that the other side can get into. That way it's consensual but still open.

Doesn't cover objectives (which are desparately needed, but it's a start and I would think would be somewhat easy to implement within existing mechanics.

And for hte record, I HATE PvP
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delazure View Post
I never PVP and I hate non consensual PVP, yet I believe an open persistent PVP area would be good for STO. I think it would be a smart move from Cryptic because PVPers (as RPers) tend to create their own content if you give them a chance (diplomacy, betrayals, alliances, etc.). Such a setting would give a reason to play the game longer, pay their sub and help make the game better in the long run.
I had described a system during Closed Beta where it would be totally consensual. Just have them go into different instances. When someone is going into a contested area, they are given the choice to warp into the "contested" instance, a regular instance, and to not warp at all (just like what we have now, but with the "contested" instance option added). You join the contested option (which never pops up as the default selection) and you enter a consensual PvP zone. Since the regular zones aren't affected in any way, the PvP'ers could do all the damage they'd like to Sol, and nobody would be effected in any way.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-06-2010, 09:48 AM
" or capturable systems/planets/starbases that would then provide faction bonuses and rewards for holding?"

This part wasn't answered really. I don't think he necessarily meant earth space dock. But new pvp areas where controlling that system or star base would give an advantage to either klingon or federation or "insert new faction here if and when they are added". Such as a new explorable area that is only accessible by whoever controls that location. And Neutral faction vendors who sell items needed by both sides that are also only available to the faction that controls the system.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidon View Post
Sad. I just had to let my voice be heard on this one, even if its a drop in the ocean of forum posts. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying STO (especially later levels), but this would just be awesome ^ nth* power.

I could just see this working out really well and being LOADS of fun. It doesn't have to be implemented within the current system, but could be a whole different server-ish system. Also, the system could reset once a month, or be contained within certain areas (Neutral Zones in essence). I would even be willing to pay an extra $5-10/month to use this service because I know it would be a pain in the rear to accomplish, maintain, etc.

Just sayin.

* n > 1 ---- ;-)
I'm not willing to pay extra, but as someone who doesn't tend to like PvP a sector map like this sounds like awesome End Game Content.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
open pvp does not mean the entire galaxy has to become pvp. my main experience with open pvp is warhammer. whilst you can technically attack anyone at any time, the person you are attacking has to flag themselves for pvp. also enemy cities and towns will be defended by high level npc characters that can kill anything. the main pvp happens in the rvr lakes. these are areas that you do not have to enter but once you do your flagged for pvp. these can change hands and have multiple objectives to capture or defend.
This would be the Warhammer Online that's gone from 56 servers to 7, and no longer has any OpenRvR servers (or RP servers either)? Yes, let's emulate them; let's not have Open RvR, which they don't have anymore either.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
This would be the Warhammer Online that's gone from 56 servers to 7, and no longer has any OpenRvR servers (or RP servers either)? Yes, let's emulate them; let's not have Open RvR, which they don't have anymore either.
you said it yourself, they started with too many servers, that was their problem and has nothing to do with this issue. sto has only one server to worry about.

I played that game for several months and enjoyed it, it was not perfect but as an optional way to play the game it would be fun for those that want it. optional being the key word.

i did say in the points below they would have trouble getting the balance right, that does not mean they should not try.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Quote:
you said it yourself, they started with too many servers, that was their problem and has nothing to do with this issue. sto has only one server to worry about.
More to the point, they went from 800,000 subscribers to less than 150,000 subscribers, and turned off ALL OF THE OPENRVR SERVERS. I.E. the game feature you were saying STO should emulate? Warhammer Online doesn't have it anymore, it was a game-killer.

Within a year that game will be lights-out.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Quote:

I played that game for several months and enjoyed it, it was not perfect but as an optional way to play the game it would be fun for those that want it. optional being the key word.

i did say in the points below they would have trouble getting the balance right, that does not mean they should not try.
You forgot to mention, however, that games with a flag system are easily exploited, most commonly by AoE damage, inviting more griefing.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Open PvP would be an amazing addition to the game. I can understand it being restricted to certain areas, but having all instanced PvP is downright boring after a while and you find yourself wondering what the point is.

Some sort of open PvP would really make this game epic. Some sort of limited "invasion" potential would be amazing, but I'm not saying we should be able to just fly right up to earth spacedock and pick off low level players. At least let us attack the feds that enter klingon space for goodness sake. It doesn't make sense that they can just tour our sectors and all we can do is emote at them.

edit: so you don't make fun of my typos.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
More to the point, they went from 800,000 subscribers to less than 150,000 subscribers, and turned off ALL OF THE OPENRVR SERVERS. I.E. the game feature you were saying STO should emulate? Warhammer Online doesn't have it anymore, it was a game-killer.

Within a year that game will be lights-out.
yes they turned off the open rvr servers. those where the servers that forced you to pvp all the time. you had no way of turning it off. very few people choose to use them so it never got off the ground so they transferred those players to the other servers.
everyone went for the ones where you had a choice.
i was not even suggesting that sto does that. i said that rvr should not occur all over the galaxy but should be restricted to a number of zones that can be contested back and forth.

the remaining servers still have the option to flag yourself for pvp. those where the ones i played and and enjoyed. warhammer remains my favourite mmo of all and im sure there are a lot who agree.

how warhammers subscriptions numbers have any bearing on a completely different game is beyond me. I am saying that they should add it as an optional rvr for the people that want it. adding something that people want to do but dont have to is not going to hurt the game.

i am saying that it is one aspect that they should add not model the entire game on.

im guessing you dont want open rvr. my suggestion deso not affect you in anyway. if they add it and you dont want to play rvr then you dont have to. adding it wont kill the game or turn people away as long as its optional