Lt. Commander
Consider using the /demorecord feature. It lets you not only record and play back your gameplay, but you can also view playback from any camera angle, pause, etc. The gameplay files are relatively small...10+ megs as opposed to several gigs when recorded from fraps.

Summary:
To start recording type /demorecord demo_name
To stop type /demorecordstop

demo_name should be whatever name for your recording you choose.

Look in your STO directory\Live folder and copy a shortcut to the gameclient program to your desktop.
Edit the shortcut TARGET, and add
-demoplay demo_name
to the end of the text, outside any quotes.

Launch the shortcut to playback your demo.

To enable free look mode, pause playback and use F2 to toggle.

*** NOTE ***
There is one big drawback to using the demorecordings. They will only be good until the content you recorded changes. Any patch, update, or content change could render them useless. So...if you -really- want to keep a permanent record, record them using fraps or something.

Detailed instructions:

To start recording, type
/demorecord demo_name

where demo_name is the name of your recording. So fighting some klingons in a deep space encounter, you might type

/demorecord klinging_DE_1

You should then see the words DEMO RECORDING in red, on the left of your screen.

To stop recording, type

/demorecordstop

So, after you record your awesome combat scene, boss takedown strategy, etc...how to play it back?
In your Stark Trek Online\Live folder, there is a program called gameclient. If you launch this program with

-demoplay demo_name

parameters, it will playback your demo, where demo_name is the name of the demo you recorded.

Go to your Star Trek Online folder, in the Live directory.
Find the GameClient program. Create a shortcut to it, I put the shortcut on my desktop.
Right click on the shortcut, and select Properties.

In the target field, add -demoplay demo_name
Again, demo_name is the name of the demo you want to playback. My target field text looks like this:
"J:\star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live\GameClient.exe" -demoplay firefight

Now, run the shortcut. The game should launch, but instead of prompting for a login...it goes straight to playing back your recording.

The play functions are very obvious. Press the pause button and use the F2 key to toggle free look.

Getting rid of shield indicators (temporarily)

If you go into the graphics debugger (F5)
Select the FX Debugger button

This will list what appears to be all game effects, geometry, etc.

Sort by Fx Name, and scroll down to P_Ship_Shieldindicator_Geo_Aft (Fore, Port, etc)
by selecting these and pressing the "Kill" button, you can remove the shield indicators. Temporarily, at least.

They seem to come back. I'm still goofing around, trying to find a way to remove them permanently.

If anyone has more information on using the demorecording features, or suggestions, please let me know

I'd like to give credit to Cormoran and Kitsume, and this thread
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...76#post2313276

Without it, I wouldn't have known this was even possible.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-06-2010, 10:14 AM
A couple of other notes.

It's a pain (imo) to have to reedit the shortcut to play various demos. I'm likely going to create a small .net UI to allow you to just select demos to playback.

Also, you don't have to exit STO to play your demos. I run in Maximized Window mode, which makes it really easy to record something and play it back real quick, without exiting the game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-06-2010, 11:19 AM
I've created a small C# app which shows you the demos you have recorded, and lets you launch them. Much better than having to edit the shortcut and such. If there's interest, I may put it out on sourceforge.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Have you tried the redesigned camera tools yet? I have about 30 people demoing this toolset and our instructions on how to use it right now. If you haven't and don't know how to activate it send me a PM.

The camera toolset allows you to replace the game camera you captured and lay in new camera paths/key frames with predefined functions (like auto tracking a character of your choice- or doing a user defined orbit around a character, or auto constraining to a fixed target you place). It is also WYSIWYG set up when framing in f2 freelook mode - so you know exactly what camera framing you have when you lay down a key frame. You also have a type of timecode (based off real game time since there is no such thing as SMPTE/EBU TC in a real time engine) so you know exactly when events happen and can time your camera paths and framing.

Basically I took the best of all the 3d camera function plugins for Max and Maya I have used over the years and had our programmer incorporate them into our tool.

All in all - it's really slick machinama tool, and is now part of our Core game engine so works both in Champions and STO.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Wow, some good info here.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-06-2010, 01:43 PM
This is great!

I'm going to give this a try today. Sounds like it could lead to a lot of great videos being made by the community!
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-06-2010, 02:00 PM
EDIT: MUAHAHAHAAH

I found a way to kill shield rings in a demo file!

Go to the cryptic live folder, open the demo folder. Select demo and open with notepad.

Go to Edit, select replace.

Replace any instance of ''FxName Fx_Ship_Shieldindicator'' with a nonsense string of character.

Demo will play without shield rings, only giving a small error along the bottom of the screen which can be edited out later.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strombonni
Getting rid of shield indicators (temporarily)
Open up (a copy of) your .demo file in a text editor (like Notepad) and do a search for anything containing:

Fx_Ship_Shieldindicator_Lvl_

Then replace all with something like:

Xx_Ship_Shieldindicator_Lvl_

(Really, anything that changes the name to something invalid will work - just be certain you're ONLY changing the FX you wish to disable.)

Error messages/warnings will appear at the bottom of your screen during playback, but you will NOT see shield indicators... at all.

Yeah, it's kindov a sloppy way to "fix" things... but it's fast, easy and effective.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Awww, you beat me to it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Fan_101 View Post
Open up (a copy of) your .demo file in a text editor (like Notepad) and do a search for anything containing:

Fx_Ship_Shieldindicator_Lvl_

Then replace all with something like:

Xx_Ship_Shieldindicator_Lvl_

(Really, anything that changes the name to something invalid will work - just be certain you're ONLY changing the FX you wish to disable.)

Error messages/warnings will appear at the bottom of your screen during playback, but you will NOT see shield indicators... at all.

Yeah, it's kindov a sloppy way to "fix" things... but it's fast, easy and effective.
I've actually heard that a toggle is incoming so we can not have them if we don't want them.
Closed Thread