Lt. Commander
# 11
04-01-2010, 06:23 AM
I can confirm that boffs will stand around like chumps, when equipped with a bat'leth. In fact, they'll not even draw it, and tend to hunker down kneeling.

I even put it on a Klingon taco boff, hoping he'd figure it out.

Also, I can confirm that boffs love, just absolutely love, to run up and hose things with the fire extinguisher.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Hand to hand combat can be done by anyone as far as I'm aware by emptying your weapon slot and then using combinations of the 1 & 2 keys, although its pretty pathetic it is a bit of a novelty.

I read somewhere that Cryptic are already working on melee weapons and that they were ommited from the release of the game because *they were not yet finished" surprisingly
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Yes, the last I read was that there'll be a Vulcan and an Andorian melee weapon, and a katana. Haven't heard about it again tho, it was mentioned somewhere in an engineering report and I lost track after 45 pages or so.

Klingons clearly need a lot more weapons; as my links show, they have the biggest selection, while most others are links to a specific weapon of a species.

Some of the weapons are already in the game and used by NPCs. I know Nausicaan NPCs have the sword, Klingons have at least one, and not sure, but I think I also saw Jem'Hadar with their melee weapon. All of these are single handed blade weapons, so they could share a set of moves/animations. I realize that special things - Vulcan staff, Ferengi whip, would need some unique animations and attacks, but a lot of the others are either swords or daggers and shouldn't be too hard to make.

The suggested kits... Some should be restricted to Tactical (i.e. Assault Weapon) to keep the class focus "more damage". The martial arts skills I posted should stack with character traits. If I already used 'sure footed' and equip a kit with a passive ability to reduce knock back, that would give me a bigger advantage. The ground traits need some love, and this would be a good chance to make them more useful.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Yeah.

I would like to see a complete revamping of the ground combat sections owing to the current strats that seem to work for the borg ground bosses.

I'd like to see a generic Ensign that would allow increases in all forms of ground combat (similar to the option to point into hull/shield/manouvre in starfleet training). They could then combine a few of the other items they have for each class. 3 RA ground combat options??? Gimme a break!
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-02-2010, 04:26 PM
The most useless ground ability is sci captain energy shield or whatever it is. Since I got it, I tried and tried, and didn't find a single enemy type that stays in it. Klingon mobs try to melee me, and Romulans/Cardassians that usually keep the distance simply step out of it. What the f is the shield good for?
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-03-2010, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArievDhien
The most useless ground ability is sci captain energy shield or whatever it is. Since I got it, I tried and tried, and didn't find a single enemy type that stays in it. Klingon mobs try to melee me, and Romulans/Cardassians that usually keep the distance simply step out of it. What the f is the shield good for?
Off topic I know but in direct response to your post here.

Do you mean Dampening Field? It is great as an expose Sci with your other Sci skills and for example the Geophysicist kit.

Target the central most mob in the pack, even better if this is the/a boss mob (if any).

Gravimetric Shift III
Dampening Field III
Nanoprobe Infestation II
Tricorder Scan III
Hyperonic Radiation III
You can even throw in a Thermal Vent if you want, while the mobs are inclined to move out of it, they are routed with GS.

I personally run with 2 Sci BO's as well as my Sci captain. Overkill but I love it, however even just having 1 Sci BO (healer) who also has Stasis Field tops the above 'rotation' off.

The group are held in the dome, taking amplified damage, reduced resistance and damage over time.
If any mobs are not caught by the GS, they do either of 2 things, stay there and range at you, thus still affected by the above, or come towards you. GS affects up to 15 targets, but if any are not held and they do come towards you, your other sci will almost definitely SF hold one, (you can of course ensure this yourself). If by chance there are more than 1 and they do make it to you, you still have Sonic Pulse III followed by Neural Neutraliser III. They are now not your concern and your group will take them down quickly.

The real beauty of the above 'rotation' is the sheer number of exposes, couple that with all your BO's having AoE expose weapons and you with 2 x AoE Exploits and I can guarantee the encounter is going to end in seconds.

Don't you just love 'target next expose' and 'group focus my target'

Good luck.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-03-2010, 12:25 PM
I tried in all combinations, but the only enemy staying in the damn field is the one a BO holds there with Stasis Field. The others leave the area so quickly, I don't even get to use my own SF on them after making the field.
I always thought there must be a trick, but what you say is pretty much what I tried already, with no real success. I get quite some exploits during an average ground battle, but there is no difference with or without field. The non-targeted enemies will still range (except Klingons), but only after they left the stupid field.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Quote:
I tried in all combinations, but the only enemy staying in the damn field is the one a BO holds there with Stasis Field. The others leave the area so quickly, I don't even get to use my own SF on them after making the field.
I always thought there must be a trick, but what you say is pretty much what I tried already, with no real success. I get quite some exploits during an average ground battle, but there is no difference with or without field. The non-targeted enemies will still range (except Klingons), but only after they left the stupid field.
Gravimetric shift.

Edit, yeah I didn't mean the DF gets more exposes. Just that it works great with that expose set up. Their damage is reduced that's all. If you have SF then you aren't using Geophysicist kit. (I'm not in game but I'm pretty sure on this) The GS is the key to a 12 sec 15 target (I think) hold. Using the other skills in that order gets maximum effect from the durations on them.

I laugh sometimes when I do this and wipe the whole party of mobs with 2 x cone AoE exploits within the first 5 or 6 secs. It's rare that it's that efficient but it happens.

But I can see where you are coming from with DF being of limited use, just GS is the key to getting the most use out of it. If only it worked on them Reman Captains at RA5, serious Psion dmg there.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Cardassian Assault Legate. SF, Field of Stupid... and every single Cardassian, even the holographic ones, make ONE step out of the field. As soon as the hold is over, the Legate follows them. The Field of Stupid is still there, surrounded by enemies. After that, I was just really really angry, ran over and pushed them back in the field with the rifle butt. Can I have any other captain skill? Please?
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-04-2010, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Cardassian Assault Legate. SF, Field of Stupid... and every single Cardassian, even the holographic ones, make ONE step out of the field. As soon as the hold is over, the Legate follows them. The Field of Stupid is still there, surrounded by enemies. After that, I was just really really angry, ran over and pushed them back in the field with the rifle butt. Can I have any other captain skill? Please?
Haha, loving your 'field of stupid'.

I have to agree with you actually, I stumbled upon this thread looking up the Vulcan Pole and replied to you as I do use the 'field of stupid' routinely. I included the very effective rotation in which I use it but it's part in the rotation is actually minimal.

Catch 22 really, to get best use of it, you GS hold the full group in it, thus drawing agro from the full group but heavily reducing their damage output to you because of it.

If the mobs did anything near decent damage anyway it would have more of an imput but as it is the only real heavy incoming group damage you will get in a solo + BO's situation is Reman Guard Captain and his summons, sadly the 'field of stupid' affects energy damage and not Psionic. Meh!

To digress further from Vulcan Pole to 'field of stupid' to Gravimetric Shift, GS is the key to enemy group wide exposes all together in a nice exploitable area.

Back to that Vulcan Pole, it didn't make it in to the game then? I read an interview with a dev who named it as one of the many melee weapons available that's all.