Lt. Commander
# 1 Complaint forum
02-28-2010, 02:15 AM
Some people carefully articulate themselves, some people just make asses of themselves. This is a thread for the various complaints about STO... it's like a big idea thread, but the criticism doesn't have to be constructive, and if you want to make an @$$ of yourself and just whine... that's okay with the OP. May you only ever be mocked because your argument lacks merit, regardless of how immature you were when voicing it. ...

I'll start.

My space bar springs are going to break, give us auto fire. Okay so I was smart enough to re-map this to mousewheel to save my springs, but that really is a huge fun killer.

Battlemaps need starting gates. PvP is rather less than enjoyable, it's got it's moments, but if evaluated on PvP alone this game is worth $10 and no monthly subscription. The maps and support mechanics are poorly designed such that one team usually stomps the other, individual effort plays a backseat role to luck of the draw with team stack. About 1 in 10 games I random into actually involves a challenging battle between two equally matched opponents. That's... smegging terrible. Starting Gate is the first and most basic of the steps you could take to fix this. Next you could normalize passive bonuses in PvP, meaning a Lieutenant 1's BO and Personal skills would remain the same (including ones unlocked because of leveling) but the bonuses granted to these powers by skills in which they posess at least 1 rank would all be equal to 5-9. The rest of the improvements I'd like to suggest involve new map design and organized fleet combat and I'm sure it's already a goal of yours.

I understand you can't just put a script language into the game so people can make macros. If it's possible this really should be a long term goal of yours. In the mean time, you need the develop at least a basic utility for binding one button to multiple powers. Nobody is impressed by your user interface.

The default settings for Controls need to be fixed. Nobody likes assist target of target as a default.

Not strictly a complaint, I would like to see some end-game content without infinite respawn at some point. I'm not arguing for a huge DP here, just an encounter reset type. You could also do things like "completing this instance without a single death earns all participants x STO credits... assuming STO credits become more spendable some time in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-28-2010, 03:05 AM
Oh and auto - disband the auto-joined members of groups for missions. Newbs get f*ed up on this a lot.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-28-2010, 04:11 AM
My biggest qualms:

Server Stability
Every single time I log in (and it is during not peak hours) I get "server not responding" about half way through a mission. The brilliant design scheme DOES NOT save my mission progression, and as a result I have to start all over again at my latest "spawn" point. I get thrown out of fleetbattles and defend sector missions. Supremely annoying.

Shallow and Simplistic Gameplay
This game is by definition... not casual. A Casual game implies that it is accessible and requires no heavy investment of time or finances... something like Free Realms. This game is not accessible. The descriptions of skills and abilities is horrendous and tedious... to the point where one of the descriptions was "...and affects other things". How professional.

What this game IS however... is simplistic and shallow. Simplistic to a fault in that you really DO NOT have any inclination to invest yourself into the game. Shallow due to the mindless grinding that was promised not to be in the game in the first place. I've murdered more people and destroyed more ships than Archer, Kirk, Picard, Janeway, and possibly Sisko put together and I'm not even a Captain yet (I'm pretty sure I had them beat as a Lieutenant even).

Core Game Design

I am definitely not a fan of the heavy instancing. It has made for a shoeboxy universe that feels small and disjointed. There is no majesty or grandeur to the universe, and it is anything but "massive". The constant loading screens detract from immersion and just waste time. This game is "small"... I wouldn't consider it a AAA MMO other than the fact it has a major IP attached to it.

Marketing Faux Paus, Bad Business Decisions, and Lack of Professionalism

Bugs can be expected in all games, but spelling errors? And not just a few... but throughout multiple quest lines, PR releases, and state of the games. This lack of professionalism is coupled with a lack of good judgment, you have A) The Beta Key Fiasco (with CO Lifetime members, and File planet fiascoes) B) Miss-communications between departments (joined trill, and many other foibles). C) Vibora Bay (not related to STO, but same company) and D) the recent debacle with the 60 day free game time and pre-order items shenanigans.

You have some people working at Cryptic or Atari making ruinous decisions for the successful longevity of this game. Couple this with a lack of professionalism... and goodness you are on a one way street to having people loose faith in your brand name.

Ridiculous Non-Canon Federation Behavior:
Killing medical doctors in order to leave no "witnesses", murdering unborn jem h'adar, mowing down ingrates at a bar... DOES CBS KNOW ABOUT THIS? What makes this worse... I MUST commit those atrocities in order to "gain more merit" with starfleet and progress my career. Appalling.

Overall Opinion
I gotta ask anyone who's reading this, and myself "If this exact game was not "Star Trek" would I play it". The answer is... "No" I would not have even bothered. It is sub-par and exemplary of first rate mediocrity. An affront and disservice to a much beloved Franchise.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Bringing obvious game flaws to light? I'm surprised that this thread didn't get closed.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieMan View Post
Bringing obvious game flaws to light? I'm surprised that this thread didn't get closed.
Probably because some one will flame the OP at some point

Valid reasons - although there are good things about this game that you aren't mentioning - poeple only remember the bad things but not the good.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryston View Post
My space bar springs are going to break, give us auto fire.
Change the key binding...
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieMan View Post
After the bad publicity that Cryptic received over much of the Internet for their draconian and suppression of dissent measures on the forums over the Atari/Cryptic special offer retraction, they maybe are backing off a bit.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post
My biggest qualms:

Server Stability
Every single time I log in (and it is during not peak hours) I get "server not responding" about half way through a mission. The brilliant design scheme DOES NOT save my mission progression, and as a result I have to start all over again at my latest "spawn" point. I get thrown out of fleetbattles and defend sector missions. Supremely annoying.

Shallow and Simplistic Gameplay
This game is by definition... not casual. A Casual game implies that it is accessible and requires no heavy investment of time or finances... something like Free Realms. This game is not accessible. The descriptions of skills and abilities is horrendous and tedious... to the point where one of the descriptions was "...and affects other things". How professional.

What this game IS however... is simplistic and shallow. Simplistic to a fault in that you really DO NOT have any inclination to invest yourself into the game. Shallow due to the mindless grinding that was promised not to be in the game in the first place. I've murdered more people and destroyed more ships than Archer, Kirk, Picard, Janeway, and possibly Sisko put together and I'm not even a Captain yet (I'm pretty sure I had them beat as a Lieutenant even).

Core Game Design

I am definitely not a fan of the heavy instancing. It has made for a shoeboxy universe that feels small and disjointed. There is no majesty or grandeur to the universe, and it is anything but "massive". The constant loading screens detract from immersion and just waste time. This game is "small"... I wouldn't consider it a AAA MMO other than the fact it has a major IP attached to it.

Marketing Faux Paus, Bad Business Decisions, and Lack of Professionalism

Bugs can be expected in all games, but spelling errors? And not just a few... but throughout multiple quest lines, PR releases, and state of the games. This lack of professionalism is coupled with a lack of good judgment, you have A) The Beta Key Fiasco (with CO Lifetime members, and File planet fiascoes) B) Miss-communications between departments (joined trill, and many other foibles). C) Vibora Bay (not related to STO, but same company) and D) the recent debacle with the 60 day free game time and pre-order items shenanigans.

You have some people working at Cryptic or Atari making ruinous decisions for the successful longevity of this game. Couple this with a lack of professionalism... and goodness you are on a one way street to having people loose faith in your brand name.

Ridiculous Non-Canon Federation Behavior:
Killing medical doctors in order to leave no "witnesses", murdering unborn jem h'adar, mowing down ingrates at a bar... DOES CBS KNOW ABOUT THIS? What makes this worse... I MUST commit those atrocities in order to "gain more merit" with starfleet and progress my career. Appalling.

Overall Opinion
I gotta ask anyone who's reading this, and myself "If this exact game was not "Star Trek" would I play it". The answer is... "No" I would not have even bothered. It is sub-par and exemplary of first rate mediocrity. An affront and disservice to a much beloved Franchise.
You know normally I try to respond with some level-headed academically based response but after reading your post the only thing that went through my mind was:

"TRUE DAT!!!!"
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugHug View Post
After the bad publicity that Cryptic received over much of the Internet for their draconian and suppression of dissent measures on the forums over the Atari/Cryptic special offer retraction, they maybe are backing off a bit.
You freedom fighters you....
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-06-2010, 10:39 AM
I have a great time playing the game. No complaint about aything Cryptic related.
My beef is with a fast number of snotty gamers, who don't want to be part of a team, or yell at me when I ask a question.

Lieutenant Commander Angel out!