Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
03-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaboy View Post
Most Sci abilities are really ridiculous at the moment.

I was in a pug earlier today fighting a klink T5 group where EVERY BoP had VM, Jam, Scramble, FBP.

It was hilarious.

Talk about STUN LOCK.

The entire space CC mechanic needs to be looked at intensely.

You need to get some immunities for a reasonable amount of time after getting hit by any type of dilating effect.

Currently only subnuc beam (which can take you out for at least 30 seconds w/full AUX) has that mechanic.


FBP would still be ok if it was reduced by 300% and affected shields.


It should be supplemental damage not "I WIN" damage.

I've seen single hits wack for 3k before WITHOUT someone using beam overload.


It actually is better then RSP if you're at full AUX and the other team is using beams.

Crowd control abilities in this game for both space and ground are way over the top and have made me lose interest in pursuing the pvp game here any further. It was an interesting challenge for a while since quite frankly, klingons always held the upper hand in nearly every match Ive played (all the while kidding themselves that the mechanics are balanced for both sides), but after getting to admiral I see the whole pvp game in STO as an afterthought and not very well thought through.

I want to PLAY a game, not have my keyboard disabled for 4-12 seconds every time I engage in combat. Instead what we get is "load in... getting load ganked... ok Im stunned.... cant do anything... cant do anything... cant do anything... exposed.... dead". Rinse, repeat.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why game developers over the last several years have been implementing these types of abilities more and more, even in things like FPS (like when they gave scouts in Team Fortress 2 a stun... ruined the game in my opinion).

Fun games that hold peoples interest for a while allow for fluid, dynamic exchanges of positioning, attacks, and counters, so that a player can actually employ tactics on their feet.... not this "I got the first lockdown so I win" setup we have in STO.

On topic with FBP, again there is no fluidity to it. If such a powerful maneuver must exist in the game, there should be a viable counter. Well what are the counters? Don't load beam weapons (which solely puts fed cruisers and sci vessels at a disadvantage, making it a one sided ability) or don't shoot/stop shooting an opponent when the skill is active (yet the buff icons in this game are not very informative, and the skill is so harsh/fast that most players lose half their hull before they even notice the blue bolts coming toward them). Neither is really an acceptable counter to a move that does so much damage to a player for doing the most basic of attacks expected of everyone if you want to damage the opposing ships.

Dear Cryptic... you guys can keep this one sided "shooting fish in a barrel" game, there are plenty of better PvP games on the market that allow for, you know PLAYER vs PLAYER play.... not lockdown vs observer. Nice try though.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
03-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reticent_1222
Dear Cryptic... you guys can keep this one sided "shooting fish in a barrel" game, there are plenty of better PvP games on the market that allow for, you know PLAYER vs PLAYER play.... not lockdown vs observer. Nice try though.
I agree. I just got into a conversation where some guy just wasted 10 minutes of my life telling me that I should "poke" at my opponent to make him pop it early...and sit there for 15 seconds.. and THEN shoot during the 5 seconds between his 2 FBP's to kill him..

Or lower is aux.. which requires a beam weapon... which will kill myself.. again......

Love the "solutions" presented.

1) Sit there and knit a sweater while getting beat on
2) Switch to another target.. who has FBP and still it kills you when he pops it.
3) My personal favorite.. set you weapon settings to 25... 25.. are you kidding me.. that is the same as option 1

Seriously..make it work on cannons too, and I won't care about this one sided power any more. Make it uniform.. or trash it. 66% of fed must use beams for their abilities and setups. Nowhere NEAR that % do Klingon players HAVE TO use beams... and there is not ONE power that just effects cannons.

Not one.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
03-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Yes CC is OP right now... however running into people who use nothing but the most apparently powerful abilities just shows lack of creativity. Personally i dont even use any of these abilities and i do just fine.


P.S. Also, its not like one side has these abilities and the other does not. So its really not unfair just irritating when used against u first.....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
03-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruslothran View Post
I agree. I just got into a conversation where some guy just wasted 10 minutes of my life telling me that I should "poke" at my opponent to make him pop it early...and sit there for 15 seconds.. and THEN shoot during the 5 seconds between his 2 FBP's to kill him..
.
Thats classic. Without fail, whenever there is a poorly designed ability in a game, people defending it (because they enjoy the success associated with using said ability) will always try to instruct you on just how fallable the ability is by giving you such stellar advice.

So basically, youre supposed to absorb fire from him for 15 seconds while you do not shoot back (and hope none of his teammates join in during this time), then you have a 5 second window to kill him..... oh provided he doesnt have something like RSP ready. I guess in that case you have to survive through another set of cycles of not shooting back and waiting for the next opening.

If you see him again, find out what exactly he is smoking.. there might be a good market out there for such high quality stuff!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
03-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus_Driver
Yes CC is OP right now... however running into people who use nothing but the most apparently powerful abilities just shows lack of creativity. Personally i dont even use any of these abilities and i do just fine.


P.S. Also, its not like one side has these abilities and the other does not. So its really not unfair just irritating when used against u first.....

I actually disagree. It is the right and responsibility of a competitive-minded player to harness the strongest abilities in any game and assure victory. So I do not fault players or judge their creativity. The fault rests in the hands of the designers for leaving such major imbalances unchecked in their game.

As for your PS... if we are talking about feedback pulse, yes, it is one-sided for the simple fact that the only viable "non-beam" ship on the fed side is the escort. Klingon ships are rarely subject to having to face it. Then theres also the issue of universal slots (which leads to better min/maxing of abilities then a federation ship can assemble) but that is probably the topic of another thread.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
03-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reticent_1222
I actually disagree. It is the right and responsibility of a competitive-minded player to harness the strongest abilities in any game and assure victory. So I do not fault players or judge their creativity. The fault rests in the hands of the designers for leaving such major imbalances unchecked in their game.

As for your PS... if we are talking about feedback pulse, yes, it is one-sided for the simple fact that the only viable "non-beam" ship on the fed side is the escort. Klingon ships are rarely subject to having to face it. Then theres also the issue of universal slots (which leads to better min/maxing of abilities then a federation ship can assemble) but that is probably the topic of another thread.
Thats fair. I wasnt saying it was good as it is, though. And my comment on lack of creativity was merely an attempt to elicit peoples post on what they do that ISNT using these abilites that is effective. Fact of the matter is you can do very will in pvp without useing these abilities... although admittedly these abilites do make it easymode.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
03-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Well, just got out of another pvp match where I could not shoot at anybody.....at all.

Every klingon had FBP and RSP.....

Might as well put my cruiser in park.

Until FBP works on all energy weapons, I think that other than dailies... I am done with pvp. For the dailies, i am going full impulse off to one side of the map and going to sit it out, until it is over. I don't care.

It is sad, because I love pvp in most games.... but I can't stand the idea that I have to put turrets on my cruiser to play.....that is not how I wanted to play...and it is not how I will play.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
03-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Was speaking with Falk on IRC again yesterday he said FBP is being looked at. He said It should not be doing more than 100% damage return and should not be bypassing resistances. He also said he is looking into people chaning them one after the other and the same with RSP.

FYI he mentioned SNBs cooldown may be raised and it also may be counterable in the future.

All sounds good
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
03-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenikis View Post
Was speaking with Falk on IRC again yesterday he said FBP is being looked at. He said It should not be doing more than 100% damage return and should not be bypassing resistances. He also said he is looking into people chaning them one after the other and the same with RSP.

FYI he mentioned SNBs cooldown may be raised and it also may be counterable in the future.

All sounds good
Thank you. It is good that the devs have stated NOT WORKING AS INTENDED.

So you FBP abusers,.....stop defending it..

Just mourn it,.. it is going to change.

As far as RSP cooldowns or whatnot, that is fine by me. I have a couple of them.. but RARELY need to use them. I don't think I will care much about that at all. My build does not rely on that at all.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
03-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruslothran View Post
Thank you. It is good that the devs have stated NOT WORKING AS INTENDED.

So you FBP abusers,.....stop defending it..

Just mourn it,.. it is going to change.

As far as RSP cooldowns or whatnot, that is fine by me. I have a couple of them.. but RARELY need to use them. I don't think I will care much about that at all. My build does not rely on that at all.
Who was abusing it?

I used it on three occasions and didn't see what the fuss was about :p

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:49 PM.