Lt. Commander
Holodeck for STO at Starfleet academy.

Everyone wins out. No more whining for more content ever again. STO get's more staying power. And Cryptic is saved a metric frak-ton of work, and get to focus on what's important: More game features, instead of creating content which not everyone is satisfied with.

If everyone has different desires on content, let them create their own.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-07-2010, 05:53 AM
THIS would save Trek..........YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

And YES
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-07-2010, 05:55 AM
Except it would never be allowed with a huge IP such as startrek. It has to go through authorisation and licensing laws.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-07-2010, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
Except it would never be allowed with a huge IP such as startrek. It has to go through authorisation and licensing laws.
I doubt it. I doubt CBS signed off every mission or piece of genesis content in the game, and if signposted as user-created I don't see where the issue would be.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-07-2010, 06:10 AM
I hated the architect in CoH if that's the reference here. It was used mainly for powerleveling, and the so called "added user made content" was just an excuse not to make real content. The selection and quality was mostly dubious.

I played that game for 4-5 years, and the architect and all it's powerleveling was instrumental in driving me away. I am aware that it was a highly requested feature, and made to appease the user base, or something like that. But personally think it detracted from other areas of the game, and was abused in the most extreme fashion, to blindly rush the advancement of characters.

In the end it was a gimmick far removed from real additions to the game, and not something I wanted to continue to support. But then again these are highly personal opinions, and all ideas have their worth no doubt.

---
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-07-2010, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sernon
I hated the architect in CoH if that's the reference here. It was used mainly for powerleveling, and the so called "added user made content" was just an excuse not to make real content. The selection and quality was mostly dubious.

I played that game for 4-5 years, and the architect and all it's powerleveling was instrumental in driving me away. I am aware that it was a highly requested feature, and made to appease the user base, or something like that. But personally think it detracted from other areas of the game, and was abused in the most extreme fashion, to blindly rush the advancement of characters.

In the end it was a gimmick far removed from real additions to the game, and not something I wanted to continue to support. But then again these are highly personal opinions, and all ideas have their worth no doubt.

---
If it ends up as you describe it then

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.........

The game needs a place where we can create real trek content. Not a cheats emporium......why play STO if you want to powerlevel. This game needs content.......it needs content content content. If the fans showed that they could create the sort of content that would fit in will with canon and the limitations that the engine sets then the devs could save them selves a WHOLE shed load of work.

Win win for all right there.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-07-2010, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sernon

---
dont forget that city of is still realling from that disaster. they lost alot of players from it. my home server before was yellow before and during it. during peak, now it cant get past green and 750 people online.
i vote no for this to be added to sto.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-07-2010, 06:40 AM
the mission creator destroyed coh and ruined the game,

however if it was set up well, and was carefully constructed so that people could create exciting missions then its not too bad.
the thing is sto is different to coh in the way its set up as the rewards for killing random enemies is very little, its the bonus at the end for completing the mission that helps to level you up.
coh creator basically just put loads of mobs on the map for tons of exp and just let 8 man group's farm them. sto is not set up like that so it wont be the same thing.
so as long as the rewards where not to easy to get for doing a couple of minutes work then it might help the game.
if they ever plan to put holodecks in the game then we might see something along these lines.

however as said because its star trek they probably wont let us create story content, and without that it would just end up like any other mission which would be boring.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-07-2010, 06:56 AM
There is a double XP week-end going on in City of Heroes right now.

This XP bonus doesn't apply to AE missions yet people are still farming AE missions exclusively and ignoring any other content because they can exploit it to get even more XP all year long. Finding a team doing something not-AE related in CoH is borderline impossible on most servers nowadays when it used to take a few minutes at most before the system was implemented.

99% of the content posted on the AE is farming missions with no plot or point, just big zones with tons of mobs to chain kill.

The AE destroyed CoH, let's not port it over here.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-07-2010, 08:16 AM
I'm all for this idea.

I want missions of exploration. I want first contact missions.

I want to seek out new life and new civilizations, not pew pew the ever lovin' snot out of Klingons. My friends feel the same way.

Giving us our own version of CoH's "Archetect Entertainment" would, in my opinion, add significant value to STO.