Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
03-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamato
"It managed to get some data," Alex said, "and three things in the data stand out. First, it had shields--basic shields without much power, but shields nonetheless. Second, the weapons seemed to be much more advanced than what the NX-01 had--Shizuru's estimates based on the data say that the weapons would be around early- to mid-23rd Century level. Third, there appeared to be residual traces of both Chroniton Radiation and Tachyon Particles all over the hull."

"Chroniton Radiation and Tachyon Particles?" Tieria asked.

"Yeah," Alex replied. "Chroniton Radiation alone would indicate Time Travel, but the Tachyon Particles make another possibility more likely. In theory, if you combine Chroniton Radiation and Tachyon Particles, you can intentionally travel between timelines. I'd say that ship comes from a timeline where people still use the NX-Class."
(OOC: Since no one else has posted yet today, I'll continue the story myself for now. )

"I have to admit," Tieria said, thoughtfully, "That your idea as to that ship's origins does sound feasible. However, why would they keep using NX-Class Vessels?"

"The only real possibility I can think of," Alex replied, "Is that the Federation of that timeline had trouble with mass production, and was therefore forced to specialize in retrofitting in order to keep its numbers up. However, I'm worried that this NX-Class is just the tip of the iceberg. I think we're going to need to go to the Arcus System to check this out, and we're going to need to be prepared for anything."
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-10-2010, 03:32 PM
(OOC: I'm still waiting for someone else to post a reply, here. I've progressed the storyline as far as I can by myself--we are now at the point where we actually start planning the foray into the Arcus System. )
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-10-2010, 04:34 PM
"This doesnt exactly bode well for us..." Said Reid as he listened to the Captain and Commander debate the issue of the ships origin. Both officers turned to look at him, "If they are retro-fitting old NX class vessels then what have they done to more modern vessels? Moreover what sort of numbers can we expect? The Epsom is one of the most powerful ships in starfleet but even she cant hold out forever in a numbers battle."

Takerra, Reids first officer was an experienced hand when it came to ship based weaponry and energy shields. "Admiral if i may." Reid nodded. "Judging by the scans from the probe, that shield is actually quite advanced. Although low powered it seems to be extremely efficient at absorbing incoming weapons fire. See the spike in the Graviton output," Takerra indicated to Reid and the other senior officers on the display. "Definitely an advanced generator. As to the weapons signature, i concur with the original assessment, no more than early to mid 23rd century, the nadion energy levels are alot lower than current starfleet patterns. However, this might be a limiting feature only present aboard the retrofitted NX class, a galaxy Class for example could have weaponry on-par or superior to our own."

Reid nodded to his first officer, "I'll have my chief tactical and Engineering officers look over this data if its possible for it to be transferred to the Epsom. They may be able to surmise what kind of weaponry the larger more modern ships are potentially carrying. Assuming of course that there is any modern ships at Arcus."
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-10-2010, 05:25 PM
"The Titania can set out within the hour after we clean up after the boarding drills. We volunteer to take point. Nothing short of a planet-killer has scratched her armor and I doubt whatever firepower an NX can bring to bear would be even a minor threat. Besides, capturing a ship like that may be a boon to this investigation," Admiral Hawkwood said smugly.

"But then again they may not even linked to the Repercussion; could be some manner of pirates for all we know. Either way, we should deal with these interlopers as soon as possible. With regards to the investigation however, may I have a copy of the autopsy report and any logs from the passengers' questioning and the immediate investigations."
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejo08 View Post
"This doesnt exactly bode well for us..." Said Reid as he listened to the Captain and Commander debate the issue of the ships origin. Both officers turned to look at him, "If they are retro-fitting old NX class vessels then what have they done to more modern vessels? Moreover what sort of numbers can we expect? The Epsom is one of the most powerful ships in starfleet but even she cant hold out forever in a numbers battle."

Takerra, Reids first officer was an experienced hand when it came to ship based weaponry and energy shields. "Admiral if i may." Reid nodded. "Judging by the scans from the probe, that shield is actually quite advanced. Although low powered it seems to be extremely efficient at absorbing incoming weapons fire. See the spike in the Graviton output," Takerra indicated to Reid and the other senior officers on the display. "Definitely an advanced generator. As to the weapons signature, i concur with the original assessment, no more than early to mid 23rd century, the nadion energy levels are alot lower than current starfleet patterns. However, this might be a limiting feature only present aboard the retrofitted NX class, a galaxy Class for example could have weaponry on-par or superior to our own."

Reid nodded to his first officer, "I'll have my chief tactical and Engineering officers look over this data if its possible for it to be transferred to the Epsom. They may be able to surmise what kind of weaponry the larger more modern ships are potentially carrying. Assuming of course that there is any modern ships at Arcus."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein
"The Titania can set out within the hour after we clean up after the boarding drills. We volunteer to take point. Nothing short of a planet-killer has scratched her armor and I doubt whatever firepower an NX can bring to bear would be even a minor threat. Besides, capturing a ship like that may be a boon to this investigation," Admiral Hawkwood said smugly.

"But then again they may not even linked to the Repercussion; could be some manner of pirates for all we know. Either way, we should deal with these interlopers as soon as possible. With regards to the investigation however, may I have a copy of the autopsy report and any logs from the passengers' questioning and the immediate investigations."
"I'll have Mileina, my Sensor Operations Officer, send a copy of the data on that NX-Class to you, Reid," Alex said, "and I'll also see about getting the investigation records to you, Admiral Hawkwood. Also, if we do run into any more modern ships, we'll need to have a few tricks up our sleeves. Luckily, being part of the 'Waltfeld Club' means I can sometimes help field test new technologies developed by Starfleet R&D, so I have data on quite a few technological options for us. As a matter of fact, the Tempest was custom built with a special power source designed by R&D." Alex manipulated his PADD again, and the image on the screen switched over to a schematic showing two Warp Cores linked together with a specially designed EPS Conduit. Instead of Dilithium Crystals in the Reaction Chambers, there were a pair of glowing light-green crystals.

"It's called the Twin Drive System," Alex explained. "I don't know all the technical details, but by using two Warp Cores working in perfect synchronicity, you can produce up to 4 times the standard power output. The crystals in the Reaction Chambers are called GN-Crystals, and they were discovered by another member of the 'Waltfeld Club'. Not only do they perform a similar function to Dilithium Crystals, but GN-Crystals also seem to add extra power to the mix, which further improves the power output. I can also provide schematics for the TRANS-AM System, TRANS-AM Raiser System, and/or the Lohengrin Positron Cannon if you're interested."
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-11-2010, 09:48 AM
(OOC: Yes, I am a Mobile Suit Gundam Otaku, and yes, I like modifying Gundam Tech so I can bring it into other universes, like I'm doing now. The GN-Crystals are based on the GN-Drives from Mobile Suit Gundam 00. The Twin Drive System, TRANS-AM System, and TRANS-AM Raiser System are also from Gundam 00, while the Lohengrin Positron Cannon comes from Mobile Suit Gundam SEED/Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny. I would have brought in Phase Shift Armor, another piece of Gundam SEED/SEED Destiny Tech, but I felt that was a little much for right now--maybe in a future RP.

In terms of my ship, the Tempest is currently equipped with the Twin Drive System and the TRANS-AM Raiser System [the TRANS-AM System and TRANS-AM Raiser System are both Overdrive Systems, with TRANS-AM Raiser being a more advanced version of TRANS-AM]. I'm currently waiting for someone to reply so we can continue the story, and you have a few options now: specifically, you can have your characer request to see the schematics for a particular technology I mentioned, at which point Alex will display the schematics on the screen and attempt to describe that technology. You can also have your character request that the schematics for a particular technology be sent to your ship's Chief Engineer, if you feel that technology will be good for your ship. The only technology your ships will be currently unable to use is the Twin Drive System, because it takes several weeks to retrofit that system onto a ship [unless your ship already has two Warp Cores, in which case the modifications are fairly easy and you will be able to use the Twin Drive System]. )
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-11-2010, 04:24 PM
(OOC: Ummm, I'm still waiting for someone else to post, here. )
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-11-2010, 07:01 PM
"Ha, pales in comparison of the Nova Cannon. We accelerate an armored Tricobalt bomb to .6c using a linear accelerator running the length of the hull and shoot it at the target. Shortly after impact the mine detonates. One of these would be able to scrap a Borg cube in one shot. The immense kinetic damage of the weapon would pass through the shields and hull where it would detonate in the middle of the Cube. Or just about annihilate a planet. Would need some major refitting and only the largest Starfleet vessels could have access to such weapons."

"Either way though, shall we make ready to depart for Arcus? Like I said, Titania is volunteering to take point."
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
"Ha, pales in comparison of the Nova Cannon. We accelerate an armored Tricobalt bomb to .6c using a linear accelerator running the length of the hull and shoot it at the target. Shortly after impact the mine detonates. One of these would be able to scrap a Borg cube in one shot. The immense kinetic damage of the weapon would pass through the shields and hull where it would detonate in the middle of the Cube. Or just about annihilate a planet. Would need some major refitting and only the largest Starfleet vessels could have access to such weapons."

"Either way though, shall we make ready to depart for Arcus? Like I said, Titania is volunteering to take point."
"Wow," Alex said, "this Nova Cannon sounds powerful--possibly even as powerful as the Lohengrin Positron Cannon. I do agree, though, that we should start making preparations to head to the Arcus System. And the first thing we need to do is hammer out a concrete plan. I'll explain the Lohengrin to all of you, just in case whoever we come across has one." Alex manipulated his PADD yet again, and the viewscreen switched to the display of a massive energy cannon.

"To put it as simply as possible," Alex explained, "a Positron Cannon is an Antimatter Weapon. It works by charging up and firing a concentrated beam of Positrons, which are the Antimatter equivalent to Electrons. Upon contact with an object, these Positrons and the Electrons of the target object annihilate each other, which in turn cause the target to break apart on a molecular level. A side effect of this process is a burst of highly lethal gamma radiation, which cause further damage. Obviously, a Positron Cannon can deal massive amounts of damage, and R&D hasn't really gotten around to testing its effect on shields yet. However, the Positron Cannon provides a massive vulnerability for any ship--if you land a hit on a Positron Cannon just before it fires, it transforms from an Antimatter Weapon into a nice, big bomb."

"We'll just have to remember that weakness if we come across anyone with a Positron Cannon," Tieria replied. "Meanwhile, I agree that we need a plan before we enter the Arcus System. We should start with a covert arrival, heading to the edge of the Arcus System. Nadleeh is equipped with a cloaking device, so it can proceed to the fourth planet quietly. Nadleeh is also equipped with an AI capable of hacking into any computer system, so if I run into that NX-Class or any other ship, I'll be able to hack into its computer system and search for any relevant data. Meanwhile, your ships will maintain a position on the edge of the system in case I need a diversion and/or rescue. Are there any questions or problems with the current plan?"
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-11-2010, 07:51 PM
"If you would prefer a subtle approach, Titania will wait in support."

"A suggestion would be for all ships to prepare boarding parties. If these interlopers are from another time or dimension then we will want prisoners for interrogation. As the system is rather uncharted, in depth planning will have be done upon arrival."