Lt. Commander
# 1 Demographics
03-09-2010, 08:12 PM
My girlfriend thinks all the players are all males, can anyone help me find demographics across several games or a large population of games to prove her wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-09-2010, 08:20 PM
This is a Nielsen report on the subject, though it's from Q4 08

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...40609_fnl1.pdf
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent.Cbab View Post
This is a Nielsen report on the subject, though it's from Q4 08

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...40609_fnl1.pdf
Yup, there are more female gamers than male gamers 20+
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams
Yup, there are more female gamers than male gamers 20+
Supposedly... I'm not sure I believe it. It's certainly not that way where I live. I mean, the girls are around, but there're way more guy gamers.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintar07 View Post
Supposedly... I'm not sure I believe it. It's certainly not that way where I live. I mean, the girls are around, but there're way more guy gamers.
Sure, if you go by message boards and the like. There will allways be more guy gamers who talk smack.

Girl gamers that I know like to PLAY the game, not talk about playing the game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams
Sure, if you go by message boards and the like. There will allways be more guy gamers who talk smack.

Girl gamers that I know like to PLAY the game, not talk about playing the game.
No, I'm talking about people I know. Of all my personal friends, many more guys than girls are gamers. In the college game club which I attend, same thing (and the girl 'gamers' tend to be playing board and card games). In fact, when I think about it, there's only one girl there who is usually playing a video game.

I'm just saying, personal experience doesn't support the numbers. And I always, always trust personal experience over the "official" numbers these days.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-10-2010, 08:42 AM
A lot of women who admit to playing video games are playing games like Solitaire and Bejeweled. They are games so that does count. Fewer girls are into more 'in depth' games like STO, which is probably what we all are thinking of.

Last 3 of Key Takeaway bullet points would support this hypothesis of mine.

You can also direct her to this forum. We have myself, Chat, Erica, Capulet, and a few others.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-10-2010, 08:43 AM
i know more male gamers then females i guess females are more quiet about it my friends talk about it all the time
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-10-2010, 08:45 AM
My wife is the one who got me into gaming. About 30-40% of the players we knew in WoW were women; many of them damn good players too. Women slay in FPS and RTS games as well. Your girlfriend is grossly misinformed.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintar07 View Post
No, I'm talking about people I know. Of all my personal friends, many more guys than girls are gamers. In the college game club which I attend, same thing (and the girl 'gamers' tend to be playing board and card games). In fact, when I think about it, there's only one girl there who is usually playing a video game.

I'm just saying, personal experience doesn't support the numbers. And I always, always trust personal experience over the "official" numbers these days.
Ever think that we just don't join those clubs because it'd just be you boys drooling, saying rude comments, and trying to date us?